Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News David Gaider has joined Beamdog as Creative Director

Shevek

Arcane
From what I remember they said this expansion (previously called Adventure Y) is supposed the be last IE engine game and after that they would switch to something full 3d.

I would love to see a new BG game in PoE engine modified to use D&D 5e ruleset.

That would be SO awesome! Maybe MCA will join Inxile and resurrect Torn. Can you imagine an Infinity Engine game IN 3D?!

I remember saying that 15 years ago. All of this has a certain time warp quality.

History is doomed to repeat itself since the human hive mind cannot actually adjust and learn from its dumbfuckery.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Codex is ridiculous, suddenly Gaider is not a fucking degenerate who shits on the playerbase that gave him prominence while producing a series of gay as fuck caricature characters... no... Codex now thinks its a good thing that he's working at Beamdog.

:nocountryforshitposters:

This is the Bioware Social Network we're talking about. It's a total Alien vs. Predator situation, with Gaider being the Predator. Even though all humans lose in Alien vs. Predator some people can't help but root for the Predator.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Gaider teaming up with Beamdog is good news in so far as it makes them easier to quarantine

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I mean, I'm not seeing e.g. the revered Leonard Boyarsky making a move like that.

After getting down and dirty with the gaming industry, Mr. Boyarsky had this epiphany, "I will write shitty story/lore for Diablo 3 for lots of money as a Blizzshit employee and live my life stress free because I have just one."

VladimirK

Learned
The first mass effect game had terrible combat but the second one had some of the best combat in an action rpg to date. It was smooth, it was fun and leagues better than anything obsidian has done with new Vegas or alpha protocol shooting wise.
Shooters have better shooting mechanics than CRPGs? Wow!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The first mass effect game had terrible combat but the second one had some of the best combat in an action rpg to date. It was smooth, it was fun and leagues better than anything obsidian has done with new Vegas or alpha protocol shooting wise.

Mass Effect series is as much of an RPG as Alpha Protocol

Fairfax

Arcane

imweasel

Gaider as a (narrative) designer is not a bad idea, he did some good work on BG2 and so on. I just wouldn't let him actually write anything.

I think if Bioware/EA wanted to punish somebody for DA:I's underperformance, the first person to go would be Mike Laidlaw or some other project direction-related role, not Gaider.
Gaider was obviously fired and I seriously doubt that would have happened if DA:I didn't underperform.

I am expecting Laidlaw to be hacked or to lose his senior design position eventually too.

It's going to be hilarious if Siege of Dragonspear will be better than PoE.
Beamdog would have to seriously fuck up the area as well as encounter design and the narrative for SoD to not be better than PoE. They are using the BG framework after all.

That said, it would be hilarous if SoD wasn't better than PoE.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Mass Effect series is as much of an RPG as Alpha Protocol
:nocountryforshitposters:

It is, you can even go as far as to say that Obsidian tried to imitate Mass Effect in many ways. :M

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It is, you can even go as far as to say that Obsidian tried to imitate Mass Effect in many ways. :M
First one, sure. But I don't see how ME2 and 3 are RPGs, let alone just as much as AP.

They have quests, they have choice and consequence, they have experience systems and character development, they have inventory and armor and weapons systems. They might not be as deep as New Vegas or Underrail, but they as as much of an rpg as Bloodlines, Alpha Protocol and a number of other action rpgs.

Then again, i dont want to start yet another "what is an rpg" discussion on codex, i think we have enough of those.

Fairfax

Arcane
What? ME2 and 3 don't have inventories at all. Their C&C is as deep as COD campaigns. I think some COD campaigns have more of it, in fact.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
What? ME2 and 3 don't have inventories at all. Their C&C is as deep as COD campaigns. I think some COD campaigns have more of it, in fact.

Of course they have inventories, you choose weapon load outs, you balance those with your weight, you choose weapons mods and various armor pieces, you buy new stuff from vendors and equip it.

In terms of C&C, ME series can surprise you with how much stuff can vary in terms of quest outcomes and companions. Look here for more details:

http://kotaku.com/the-most-defining-decisions-you-have-to-make-in-mass-ef-471612781

DeepOcean

Arcane

Of course they have inventories, you choose weapon load outs, you balance those with your weight, you choose weapons mods and various armor pieces, you buy new stuff from vendors and equip it.

In terms of C&C, ME series can surprise you with how much stuff can vary in terms of quest outcomes and companions. Look here for more details:

http://kotaku.com/the-most-defining-decisions-you-have-to-make-in-mass-ef-471612781
On Mass Effec 3 you can lie to the Krogran that you healed their condition so you could get on the good side of both the salarian and the kroogan but if you lie there is a huge dramatic confrontation with you later because of it where the krogan get really pissed off and you have to kill a party member. I was really impressed how that consequence got to me asd I was expecting the usual Bioware illusion of choice, yeah... there is some choice and consequence on Mass Effect 3 that places Obsidian to shame it was a pity that they let someone with Down Syndrome to write the story and fuck all the rest of their work. Damn Bioware and their inclusive policies! Otherwise it could had been a pretty cool action RPG.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Dude, I'm frustrated with Bioware usual derp too but comparing the ME games with COD is to surf on the edge. COD single campaigns are the worst single player thing produced nowdays, maybe only slightly better than hipster walking simulators. Even fucking DA:I didn't reach that level of derp and corporate soulessness and EA is trying hard to achieve that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom