Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News David Gaider has joined Beamdog as Creative Director

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
This is weird. Why would you switch Bioware for Beamdog?

rat-leaving-a-ship.jpg

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have no idea whether this is good news or not but I intend to complain a lot about it as what is expected of a good Codexer.

Metatron

Augur
He'll probably earn less at Beamdog in a future that's a lot more risky than just staying somewhere in the Bioware organization chart. You gotta respect this move.
I mean, I'm not seeing e.g. the revered Leonard Boyarsky making a move like that.

Duraframe300

Arcane
He'll probably earn less at Beamdog in a future that's a lot more risky than just staying somewhere in the Bioware organization chart. You gotta respect this move.
I mean, I'm not seeing e.g. the revered Leonard Boyarsky making a move like that.

True

Personally, lets see his next work before judging him. He has done decent stuff in the past.

Vandringsmann

Literate
Gaider is one of the more loathesome SJWs in the industry. In example, during GamerGate he blogged in favor of Feminist Frequency on Tumblr, and was retweeting the Sarkeesian woman. His gravest sins are in the "video game romance" department though. I stubbornly refuse to purchase any game he's involved in.

Fairfax

Arcane

True

Personally, lets see his next work before judging him. He has done decent stuff in the past.
Beamdog hasn't, however.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
How can this be a bad thing? Gaider was good, and bringing some more talented people to beamdog is exactly how Trento gains a bit more leverage to actually do BG3
As we have said before fucking this up woukd be really hard, I mean eve the original voice actors are back ffs, I wil just bend with the first new Minsk and Boo line
Having more new old school games to play is always welcome for me

throwaway

Cipher
I certainly expected much more edge in this thread, but this has less hate than a Beamdog expansion announcement.

This moving of both Larian and Beamdog into the main area of cRPGs is quite interesting to me. Hopefully it won't be countered by Obsidian moving out of it with shitty tank games and MMOs.
I'm also vaguely curious whether Bioware s depiction of moral/political issues in a manner similar to American sitcoms (everything read like it had too specifically modern American take on it, contra eg the 1st Witcher) is going to contaminate Beamdog s work through Gaider(so far they ve just not had enough space to show their take). Bit less worried about getting a gay sex simulator. If Beamdog stick to the levels of romance that BG2 had it will still be too much but I've grown a thick skin I guess.
If Avellone was going to commit to doing something full time, it'd probably be more innovative than a Baldur's Gate 3.
Has anyone's gotten to the bottom of what's MCA s issue with full-time? Is it purely cause he's reached a point where he can afford not to waste his time in work?

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Looks like creative director isn't a bullshit position at Beamdog, unlike Obsidian. :troll:

David is well known for his design and writing work on Baldur’s Gate 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Dragon Age: Origins.

I like how they just went with Origins instead of "the Dragon Age series." Don't want to scare off all the Beamdoggies with talk of 2 and Cisquisition.

Wonder if this tweet was approved, since it confirms that they'll be making a 5e BG3/BG-successor. Better watch out for Sensuki. :M

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This really could just represent Gaider trying to finish out his career somewhere less stressful and annoying than Bioware/EA.

The only thing I wish to add is that back during the development of Dragon Age, Gaider had been particularly vocal about how awesome bioware's new Intellectual Property was, free from the shackles of Dungeons & Dragons to make something more gritty, dark and mature.

And now he comes crawling back on his hands and knees.
That's not really incorrect though. Regardless of what Forgotten Realms is or what Dragon Age came to become, the fact remains is that it belonged to Atari/WotC/Hasbro/Gygax's Lich. BioWare, just like Obsidian, did not have any autonomy in their work.
being 'constrained' by the D&D rule system and monster and treasure lore is the only thing that made baldurs gate and icewind dale fun. The minute any of these clowns get the freedom to create their masterpiece we see the complete crap that they would develop if given the chance with shit like POE and dragonage. You can even see this with the knights of the chalice, the new one being worked on has all sorts of stupid player characters because it is not being 'constrained' by the D&D system but instead the designer is throwing his favorite knight/samurai/magic user theif conglomerate classes into the mix because they are so 'cool' and have so many cool awesome powers.

Most of these designers are complete shit IMO, and will never come close to making anything as fun as what D&D already offered. Not sure about D&D past version 3 BTW, version 4 and probably 5 are also shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lol, grognards.

Wonder if this tweet was approved, since it confirms that they'll be making a 5e BG3/BG-successor.

I also like the implication that it's this team...and not n-Space's. :M Which is obviously true of course, but still.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
being 'constrained' by the D&D rule system and monster and treasure lore is the only thing that made baldurs gate and icewind dale fun. The minute any of these clowns get the freedom to create their masterpiece we see the complete crap that they would develop if given the chance with shit like POE and dragonage. You can even see this with the knights of the chalice, the new one being worked on has all sorts of stupid player characters because it is not being 'constrained' by the D&D system but instead the designer is throwing his favorite knight/samurai/magic user theif conglomerate classes into the mix because they are so 'cool' and have so many cool awesome powers.

Most of these designers are complete shit IMO, and will never come close to making anything as fun as what D&D already offered. Not sure about D&D past version 3 BTW, version 4 and probably 5 are also shit.

Kinda like that freedom from publishers everyone was so hot about. Obsidian in particular showed what you can accomplish when you are free from those shackles.

"Grognards" are loling at this indeed.

Shevek

Arcane
Gaider is one of the more loathesome SJWs in the industry. In example, during GamerGate he blogged in favor of Feminist Frequency on Tumblr, and was retweeting the Sarkeesian woman. His gravest sins are in the "video game romance" department though. I stubbornly refuse to purchase any game he's involved in.

Who cares about this crap? Do women scare you or something?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Constrained is the wrong word, more like kept from eating shit. Sorry but there isn't a single world building, setting writer and general cRPG designer that can hold a candle to the worst of PnP, let alone the best. I was surprised how well written many campaigns and setting material is for many PnP rpgs. The only hope I would have of a cRPG setting not completely sucking is if it was written by real writers like Avellone. Sorry Sawyer, there are plenty of history degree shitheads out there, good writers are another story.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Who cares about this crap? Do women scare you or something?
Imbecile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom