Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News DarthMod creator announces Ultimate General: Gettysburg

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And Re: Ken Burns, I already knew he is a Democrat, but someone please explain to me why Lincoln was a Republican, Democrats were popular in the South because they wanted to maintain slavery and negotiate with the CSA, and today everything is reversed.
Two reasons.

1) During the Great Depression FDR ran as a democrat and went further to the progressive/liberal/left than any previous serious candidate had done with regards to economic issues. At the same time furthered social issues, like letting blacks have jobs paid for by the government. Then when the war started, since we needed men blacks were allowed to join the armed forces, and not as special units like the Buffalo Soldiers, though were still segregated.

2) LBJ signed the voting rights act which basically took away all the South's power to control their own voting requirements because they were blatantly abusing them to disenfranchise blacks. The democrats regularly won in the South before this.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
the election of 1860 :lol:

1860+map.png

someone else put it: "If you were a Republican in 1860 you favored: Civil rights, humanitarian efforts, you wanted society to change, and you were typically middle class.

If you were a Democrat in 1860 you favored a small Federal government, you were concerned with your business interests, and you wanted society to stay just the way they were."

"If you are a Republican today, in 1860 you would likely be a Democrat and if you are a Democrat today you would likely be a Republican in 1860."

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
And Re: Ken Burns, I already knew he is a Democrat, but someone please explain to me why Lincoln was a Republican, Democrats were popular in the South because they wanted to maintain slavery and negotiate with the CSA, and today everything is reversed.
Two reasons.

1) During the Great Depression FDR ran as a democrat and went further to the progressive/liberal/left than any previous serious candidate had done with regards to economic issues. At the same time furthered social issues, like letting blacks have jobs paid for by the government. Then when the war started, since we needed men blacks were allowed to join the armed forces, and not as special units like the Buffalo Soldiers, though were still segregated.

2) LBJ signed the voting rights act which basically took away all the South's power to control their own voting requirements because they were blatantly abusing them to disenfranchise blacks. The democrats regularly won in the South before this.

You're saying, everything because FDR and LBJ alienated the South? It does not explain the trend in the North (esp. East) towards Democrat. And I don't know if there is a proper thread for this .. but another question I have is, how could the vote in 1864 be constitutional, when the southern states could not participate?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You're saying, everything because FDR and LBJ alienated the South? It does not explain the trend in the North (esp. East) towards Democrat. And I don't know if there is a proper thread for this .. but another question I have is, how could the vote in 1864 be constitutional, when the southern states could not participate?
Nothing is as simple as two events lead to an entire region distrusting a political party. Those were the major events with many other under currents happening at the same time.

As for the Democratic party's popularity in the North and North East, they were the party of unions. Those are generally most industrialized areas with lots of union members or people who indirectly benefited from unions.

As for the election, the Southern States didn't have electors send votes. The constitution says you need a majority of votes from the electors, not that each state is required to vote. I think anyways, I'm no constitutional lawyer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom