Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DARKLANDS SUCKS DONKEY BALLS

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Difficulty doesn't affect combat, it only affects the % success help info you get.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
The interface is quite cumbersome for a computer game.
If you mean the interface in combat/exploration mode then yes. It is very bad. Interface during other parts of the game (party creation, or travel - very nice map with changing seasons) was ok. What is worse than interface however is how slow the characters are moving. It makes exploring castles or mines painful instead of enjoyable.

denizsi

Arcane
This is like that time when ancient Romans let the Christians nutjobs walk around free of persecution and then found their entire cultural legacy attacked and raped by them, only to completely fall out of existence. Darklands today, more to follow tomorrow.

Gregz

Arcane
As a first time player, I have to agree with the OP on every point he raised (which none of the troll acusers here have addressed).

I've been CRPG gaming almost 25 years, I scour forums like these to find gems I may have missed over the years. Darklands isn't one of them.

I'm certain those of you who played it 'back in the day' loved it then, and the memories you have are why you still love it today, but it has aged terribly.

Like the OP, I saw a lot of fanboyism here for DL, so I took the time to install, learn how to create a proper party, and spent approximately 6 hours in play before quitting. (Inside one of the dungeons for the dwarf mine quest). Movement, and interface were what killed this game for me. I love sandbox RPGs, but I'd take Daggerfall (closest analogue of the period I can think of) over this game any day simply because the gameplay and interface is far less cumbersome.

And this isn't about graphics at all, I played Zangband (ASCII roguelike crawler) for the (7th time?) to completion a few weeks ago and LOVED it.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Gregz said:
I'm certain those of you who played it 'back in the day' loved it then, and the memories you have are why you still love it today, but it has aged terribly.
I doubt many people here have played it back then. I played it for the first time a year ago and I loved it.

Gregz said:
Like the OP, I saw a lot of fanboyism here for DL, so I took the time to install, learn how to create a proper party, and spent approximately 6 hours in play before quitting. (Inside one of the dungeons for the dwarf mine quest). Movement, and interface were what killed this game for me. I love sandbox RPGs, but I'd take Daggerfall (closest analogue of the period I can think of) over this game any day simply because the gameplay and interface is far less cumbersome.
I never got into any mines. I was mostly exploring cities and the wilderness, killing thugs and robbers and stuff like that, which was quite enjoyable. I guess, I haven't experienced the bad part of the game, then.

Zomg

Arbiter
I liked it and I didn't play it back in the day, I played it the first time in like 2004ish, after having played shit like D&D RPGs forever, and the main thing that struck me about it was how it was a completely different world of design than the rote RPGs I had known and become disgusted by, culminating in Baldur's Gate. I liked the similar Daggerfall (similar as in, it was totally different from other RPGs and they are both absolutely terrible in several areas of design) which I played around the same time. Same kind of interest Dwarf Fortress got out of me at first before it also revealed itself as an unplayable prototype of an undeveloped genre.

Raapys

Arcane
Daggerfall was awesome in design. The game just wasn't finished. Which is also true for Dwarf Fortress.

malichaixx

Novice
Serious_Business said:
Potentially epic
v13guy.gif
quote bashing in this thread, I approve of it, very Reasonable :thumbsup:

So let me start this bitch up : Darkland is shit, real time with pause shit, old DOS shit, bad interface, no point in the fucking game, running around killing bandids for mollah how stimulating is that, it's a stat grind, sell potions and win game kind of bullshit, no one gives a shit, everything's repetitive, they put fantasy in because of lazy writing and boring rpg tropes, etc etc.

So how does that make you feel?
Are you angry? Frustrated? Tell me about your feelings.

I want a counter-point to every of those, chop chop

I'm willing to bet that while he hated all of those things that if you took out the dos and the sucked the cocks of graphics whores with Crysis level graphics, he'd be all OVER this game.

darklands is to rpgs is what oblivio n is to rpgs is what bloodlinses i s to rpg s is what msas defect what twitscher my god head is gonna expliode

how can tis site call itself rgp anyhting blurghghg

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Not if the fine folks of the industry can make an unique alternate reality diablo clone set in medieval europe first. It will be described as "open world realistic diablo meets dragon age in europe".

hanssolo

Educated
0/10, but 5 points for sparking discussion on Darklands and bringing the untermensch out of the woodwork.

so :thumbsup: I guess

Renegen

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I have the box, the manual and the map.

No one cares.

Also, I should point out that a bunch of people who never played Darklands when it originally came out, play it in 2011 for 2 hours and then rage about how bad it is, are exactly the same as someone who has only played Fallout 3, CoD, ME and makes fun of how bad Fallout 1 is. Really it is. Your opinion is completely invalid, you are a newfag when it comes to the game.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
denizsi said:
This is like that time when ancient Romans let the Christians nutjobs walk around free of persecution and then found their entire cultural legacy attacked and raped by them, only to completely fall out of existence. Darklands today, more to follow tomorrow.

What? Pagans didn't "let" us do anything, we beat the living shit out of them, took their POS empire and moved their capital to another continent.

Problem Romans? :troll:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
While the manual is a good read, it fails when it does not accurately reflect changes in the game. Map is wrong in some parts as well.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
Awor Szurkrarz said:
The interface is quite cumbersome for a computer game.

Yeah, and I always found the combat/dungeon crawling to be pretty clunky. But it's still a great game overall. I hope anyone saying it sucks is a troll, because it would be pretty sad if you couldn't see the elements of greatness in Darklands.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom