Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DARKLANDS SUCKS DONKEY BALLS

Heresiarch

Prophet
After reading the excellent manual, half of the greatly written cluebook, I've begun to play it for 4 hours straight.

And now I've deleted all my saves in disgust. Why?

For a game which was out one year before Syndicate, it plays like SHIAT. Each time I choose a character in battle, the whole damn screen would jump back to focus on him/her. The programmer must be some nextgen genius from the future of 201X who knows nextgen RTS players will be too lazy to use ctrl-left click to focus-select a unit, so he made it auto-focus-select.

This also means, if I want to let all 4 guys shoot at the bandits one screen away, I need to choose guy 1 -> scroll screen (with a fucking SHIFT key, not mention how FAST the damn screen scrolls) -> choose target -> choose guy 2 -> scroll screen again -> repeat. At the end I just stopped using javelins or even MOVING at all and just let the bad guys come straight to me and hack them to pieces.

Almost ALL of the UI is disastrous. One the bargaining scroll you can see only FOUR items. The receipe of alchemy doesn't show up unless you specifically choose it, which means you must manually check up if you've enough ingredient each time you brew something, or keep a damn cluebook/notebook next to you. And there's no seperate list of owned alchemy ingredient either. They all just got mixed up with your tons of weapons and armor and love letter and other shit. Why can't they just learn from like, Ultima?

Some of the settings are just ridiculous. In every town, sure there are 3 shops selling alchemy stuff (pharmacy shop, the healer, the alchemist guy), but WTF they all sell the SAME stuff, and whatsmore, they often will only sell TWO or THREE stuff. So in order to make some potion you need to run all around the Germany to gather the ingredients not unlike gathering the broken pieces of an ancient mcguffin to save world.

Did I say the game UI is disastrous? For example, the way it mixes mouse control with keyboard is beyond facepalm. For example, I couldn't find the damn "camp" key on the UI, then I finally realized from the manual you use F8 for it, because there's NO UI KEY FOR IT. Also, mouse control and keyboard control during battle is beyond tedious. There's just hardly any control on anything at all. Your characters would often attack some guy farther from you, or they'll blindly charge into a bunch of guys. Also, the movement is ridiculously slow. I can't imagine how horrible it is to play through the multi-leveled (gasp!) dungeon crawling quests.

The quest system is just a tragedy. For one some of the design are beautiful, like the Sabbat adventures, and the many random encounters. But the regular random quests are just so repetitive. And the quests are so damn predictable. It looks on paper, seeing so many C&C through the game, but in the end they're all the same. In all the cities there are the choice to go to the market, the religious part, etc, all with the same services - learn a Saint, maybe getting a robber knight quest which has been mentioned by FOUR other cities. Or sometimes you'll get a Fedex quest as far as requiring you to moving across the whole Germany to reach the target. Even the random encounters turn old FAST. I've met FOUR bishop party robbing me of money, THREE friars trying to curse me because I don't buy his shit, TWO pilgrim parties which I accompany with to the city right next to me which took me TWO days, FOUR wolf ambushes, etc.

Last but not the least, the graphics and sound SUCKS CLEVE BALLS. I can't believe it looks even worse than Ultima 6. Compared to Syndicate the latter looks absolutely nextgen. The sound is beyond terrible. The clink-clanking of the weapons makes me feel I'm watching a bunch of toys wacking each other. The soundtrack is ok but the quality is just bad, even with Roland. And there's NO DAMN BATTLE MUSIC. So you've the ultimate boring battle of video gaming ever - clumsy control, shitty UI, stuipid AI, crawling movement, childish sword-banging noises and PURE SILENCE.

Worst game ever. The only good thing about this game is the manual, very good reading material, but only for the history information part, because the part explaining the gameplay is a pure mess.

Since there's no Darklands reviews on the Codex yet I dare you guys put this on it. :smug:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dude I played this without mouse, on a 386sx(about as slow as a 286) with pc speakers. It takes 10 seconds to equip a sword, forever to scroll the screen but it is the best game evar! In 1992. I backed up the 11 floppy disks but all it takes is one to go wrong and your game is gone. Go play your modern DVD, mouse driven, 3D sound, HD bloom, romance, popamole 'rpgs' and leave the gems to the adults.

HDQVU.jpg

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Heresiarch said:
it plays like SHIAT ... the UI is disastrous ... the quest system is just a tragedy ... the graphics and sound SUCKS CLEVE BALLS

Worst game ever. The only good thing about this game is the manual.
Riiight.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I didn't play much of Darklands, but from what I've seen, I can certainly say that it had some of the best character/party creation ever, an excellent setting, fucking awesome music (especially the one during party creation :< ), great city interaction and splendid text quests.

A shame the clusterfucky combat kinda dragged it down. The interface seemed cumbersome but I got a hold of it after 15 minutes or so.

In other words,

Thread sucks, OP is a faggot.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This was the time before lassoing, you know like Dune 2 where you have to click on every single unit and they go "reporting" "acknowledge" "report-" "ack-" "report-" "ack-".

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Heresiarch said:
After reading the excellent manual, half of the greatly written cluebook, I've begun to play it for 4 hours straight.

And now I've deleted all my saves in disgust. Why?

For a game which was out one year before Syndicate, it plays like SHIAT. Each time I choose a character in battle, the whole damn screen would jump back to focus on him/her. The programmer must be some nextgen genius from the future of 201X who knows nextgen RTS players will be too lazy to use ctrl-left click to focus-select a unit, so he made it auto-focus-select.

This also means, if I want to let all 4 guys shoot at the bandits one screen away, I need to choose guy 1 -> scroll screen (with a fucking SHIFT key, not mention how FAST the damn screen scrolls) -> choose target -> choose guy 2 -> scroll screen again -> repeat. At the end I just stopped using javelins or even MOVING at all and just let the bad guys come straight to me and hack them to pieces.

Almost ALL of the UI is disastrous. One the bargaining scroll you can see only FOUR items. The receipe of alchemy doesn't show up unless you specifically choose it, which means you must manually check up if you've enough ingredient each time you brew something, or keep a damn cluebook/notebook next to you. And there's no seperate list of owned alchemy ingredient either. They all just got mixed up with your tons of weapons and armor and love letter and other shit. Why can't they just learn from like, Ultima?

Some of the settings are just ridiculous. In every town, sure there are 3 shops selling alchemy stuff (pharmacy shop, the healer, the alchemist guy), but WTF they all sell the SAME stuff, and whatsmore, they often will only sell TWO or THREE stuff. So in order to make some potion you need to run all around the Germany to gather the ingredients not unlike gathering the broken pieces of an ancient mcguffin to save world.

Did I say the game UI is disastrous? For example, the way it mixes mouse control with keyboard is beyond facepalm. For example, I couldn't find the damn "camp" key on the UI, then I finally realized from the manual you use F8 for it, because there's NO UI KEY FOR IT. Also, mouse control and keyboard control during battle is beyond tedious. There's just hardly any control on anything at all. Your characters would often attack some guy farther from you, or they'll blindly charge into a bunch of guys. Also, the movement is ridiculously slow. I can't imagine how horrible it is to play through the multi-leveled (gasp!) dungeon crawling quests.

The quest system is just a tragedy. For one some of the design are beautiful, like the Sabbat adventures, and the many random encounters. But the regular random quests are just so repetitive. And the quests are so damn predictable. It looks on paper, seeing so many C&C through the game, but in the end they're all the same. In all the cities there are the choice to go to the market, the religious part, etc, all with the same services - learn a Saint, maybe getting a robber knight quest which has been mentioned by FOUR other cities. Or sometimes you'll get a Fedex quest as far as requiring you to moving across the whole Germany to reach the target. Even the random encounters turn old FAST. I've met FOUR bishop party robbing me of money, THREE friars trying to curse me because I don't buy his shit, TWO pilgrim parties which I accompany with to the city right next to me which took me TWO days, FOUR wolf ambushes, etc.

Last but not the least, the graphics and sound SUCKS CLEVE BALLS. I can't believe it looks even worse than Ultima 6. Compared to Syndicate the latter looks absolutely nextgen. The sound is beyond terrible. The clink-clanking of the weapons makes me feel I'm watching a bunch of toys wacking each other. The soundtrack is ok but the quality is just bad, even with Roland. And there's NO DAMN BATTLE MUSIC. So you've the ultimate boring battle of video gaming ever - clumsy control, shitty UI, stuipid AI, crawling movement, childish sword-banging noises and PURE SILENCE.

Worst game ever. The only good thing about this game is the manual, very good reading material, but only for the history information part, because the part explaining the gameplay is a pure mess.

Since there's no Darklands reviews on the Codex yet I dare you guys put this on it. :smug:

'sup baronjohn

sah

Liturgist
What difficulty do you guys play it on? I think it defaults to easy, I set it on normal and didn't do so well. Even against town bandits.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
OP is mouse lover and graphic whore (BTW, Darklands are looking very nice to me).
Darklands is a beautiful game and not deserved such harsh words. RTwP was not best choice for combat, though.

Get it, MANBOON?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Potentially epic
v13guy.gif
quote bashing in this thread, I approve of it, very Reasonable :thumbsup:

So let me start this bitch up : Darkland is shit, real time with pause shit, old DOS shit, bad interface, no point in the fucking game, running around killing bandids for mollah how stimulating is that, it's a stat grind, sell potions and win game kind of bullshit, no one gives a shit, everything's repetitive, they put fantasy in because of lazy writing and boring rpg tropes, etc etc.

So how does that make you feel?
Are you angry? Frustrated? Tell me about your feelings.

I want a counter-point to every of those, chop chop

Heresiarch

Prophet
On a serious note, the game do have many very good designs. Like character generation, the quests (before becoming repetitive), the concept of saints and alchemy, etc. But the clumsy control and UI - compared even to the main games at that time - just makes the game very cumbersome to play even by 90s' standard.

To be honest, at the core, games like Daggerfall or even M&B are in no way better than Darklands. But at least they do feel interesting to play, because they're better polished. Heck, I've ZERO issue playing even older things like Ultima V or even roguelikes.

7hm

Scholar
Even roguelikes??!?

Darklands is awesome. To be fair though I haven't replayed it in well over a decade so maybe it's memory more than anything.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The interface is quite cumbersome for a computer game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom