Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Darkest Dungeon released on Steam Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Darkest Dungeon; Red Hook Studios

I must confess that we haven't given Darkest Dungeon, the stress-themed roguelike dungeon crawler from Red Hook Studios that was Kickstarted last February, much front page love here on the Codex. Nevertheless, it's managed to acquire quite a following on our forums, and apparently elsewhere, as its Steam Early Access release today seems quite successful. Here's the release trailer and the Early Access FAQ:

Why Early Access?

“Darkest Dungeon already has a ton of content (10 hero classes, 3 dungeon environments, dozens of monsters, 130+ items, and more ) and we want to give fans a chance to play the game now! This in turn gives us a chance to improve the game based upon player feedback and otherwise involve the community in development!”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“We plan to be in Early Access for approximately six months, which time we will use to add more dungeons, more character classes, and many new features. Our intent is to release the full version of the game sometime in the 2nd half of 2015.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“For the full release, we are planning to add more dungeon environments (one of which is the Darkest Dungeon), more character classes, story mode completion, additional monsters, items, quirks, narration, and dialogue. We also have reserved some time to add other new features and make changes based upon player feedback!”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“The current Early Access build is playable with 3 complete dungeon environments (Ruins, Weald, and Warrens), 10 character classes, 9 town building types, 5+ quest types, 30+ monsters, 130+ items, and more than 30 interactive dungeon objects. There is currently no end to the Campaign Mode in Early Access, so players can keep raising heroes and embarking on quests indefinitely. The full version of the game will have an end to the story.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“Final pricing for the game has not been determined, but the initial price will not be below Early Access list price.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“The community is encouraged to post feedback on the official forums: http://www.darkestdungeon.com/forums/. Also, purchasers are asked (but not required) to opt-in for anonymous gameplay data collection, which we use directly to collect play stats to assist with gameplay balancing.”

Darkest Dungeon's Kickstarter backers have had access to the Early Access release for a few days already. For the rest of us, it's now available for the price of $20/€20.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
It's better than I anticipated, and I already expected it to be quite good.

It has a Xcomesque campaign to it where you're leveling your guys with permaded and shit. And they get stressed and masochistic so you have to choose between benching them or send them in a suicide mission. There's less urgency to it tho, there's no losing condition that I've seen so far, although it'd be even awesomer if it did.

Also glitches, crashes, RNGesus.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
That trailer is very well put together.

No it is not, the first character that is show breaking from stress is a woman, promoting the view that women are hysterical in duress, also the game running in widescreen, has aesthetically pleasing visuals and finally (this really is the last straw) allowing keyboard shortcuts... just demonstrates that this game is an instrument of a misogynist society hellbent on oppression.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You're right what was I thinking!

safe_image.php

feminist_symbol_poster-r652d03879a7446d79ce5c9c31e2dcb35_ems_8byvr_324.jpg

:lol:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Six months early access isn't that long. Especially compared to most of the vaporware shit that lingers in EA for years.

vealck

Novice
Got it on the first day of EA, crashed on launch every time I tried to run it. Two days and several mini-patches later, game finally worked.

Visual style, combat animations and overall feel of the game is a lot like flipping through one of Mignola comics with a strong dark-ages theme. The art is simply lovely, there is a narrator commenting game events, flavor texts and locations try their best to create a mood of dismay.

Gameplay-wise, there are some really interesting character classes and unique stress-related game mechanics, but I'd say it needs a lot of work in terms of difficulty and balance, which I hope will be addressed before the launch of the full version. Currently there is no difficulty setting, the curve is steep and the game can be somewhat frustrating, which is what developers say that they are going for... but right now it feels more like a side-effect of unpolished game system.

There are some placeholder images here and there and the campaign mode is not complete, but there's already quite a lot of content. From what I gather, developers are in good touch with players via the forums, so if you enjoy participating in public betas and giving the devs a piece of your mind, this EA is a good opportunity for that. If you want a polished product to enjoy, you should definitely wait. Or just give the good people your money now, take a peek of what's to come and shelve the game for later. Call me a silly optimist, but the devs did already a lot of good work and I'm quite sure that in the end they will deliver a product worth every penny of that 19.99.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Game is addicting as hell. And the turn based combat is really simple but effective. Codex will fall for this one. Its quite nice, and the eldtrich horror just helps.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Game is addicting as hell. And the turn based combat is really simple but effective. Codex will fall for this one. Its quite nice, and the eldtrich horror just helps.
It's a fun game but it's more of a management Sim than an rpg, get more stuff to upgrade your stronghold, so you can upgrade your characters to get more stuff to upgrade your stronghold.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
It's a fun game but it's more of a management Sim than an rpg, get more stuff to upgrade your stronghold, so you can upgrade your characters to get more stuff to upgrade your stronghold.

Roguelike aspects are extremely superficial as well. Really barebones procedural generation and permadeath are the only similarities.

I found it to be fun, but it got repetitive after about 15-20 hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom