Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, Angthoron, everybody else, is this game INCLINE? If so, might as well add it to our Steam curator now.

Angthoron

Arcane

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
I'll just leave this little gem here...

qe99Yjp.png

Tommers

Augur
Yes, definitely incline. It's repetitive but doesn't feel it, if that makes sense.

Lots of things to improve but nothing they've done so far makes me think that won't happen.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Interesting idea, you're proposing make torch-light decrease when using healing spells outside of combat? What happens when your torch light decreases to 0? There's no equivalent to wandering monsters (unless you're camping), so I'm not sure it's a good fix. Using light is akin to using an inventory resource, since you'll burn more torches to bring your light back up. If you're using torches out of the inventory, why not just include healing potions? I'm not against it, but I think the introduction of healing potions might be a more controlled way to do this. But how to introduce them without trivializing damage in combat?

Actually I believe there is. When running around with torch at 0 I ran once or twice into mobs on a corridor that was previously explored.

And being on topic and talking about crits - the blunderbuss brigand is the dangerous enemy in the game, especially combined with the big guy. Crit whole party = quick trip to insanity.. fighting bandits.

Angthoron

Arcane
Interesting idea, you're proposing make torch-light decrease when using healing spells outside of combat? What happens when your torch light decreases to 0? There's no equivalent to wandering monsters (unless you're camping), so I'm not sure it's a good fix. Using light is akin to using an inventory resource, since you'll burn more torches to bring your light back up. If you're using torches out of the inventory, why not just include healing potions? I'm not against it, but I think the introduction of healing potions might be a more controlled way to do this. But how to introduce them without trivializing damage in combat?

Actually I believe there is. When running around with torch at 0 I ran once or twice into mobs on a corridor that was previously explored.
There can be a respawn, yes. You can see them if the corridor is scouted, even.

What's actually curious for me is what happens if you're backing a lot? It seems to add more stress?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
What's actually curious for me is what happens if you're backing a lot? It seems to add more stress?

Going backwards (running away) increases stress gain, yeah. There's a positive trait (backtracker) that negates this. My guess is that it's to simulate being demoralized from running away from whatever kept you from going to the next room.

Angthoron

Arcane
Makes sense. Oh, that brings me to one of my bigger gripes - the backtracking. I really wish there was a more "automated" way of doing it - pressing the D for 30 seconds while moving through empty corridors after clearing that branch-off is a bit meh.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Has anyone got details on how the Leper plays? Very curious to see what perks/disadvantages he has, looks like such an original character.

EDIT:
Never mind, found some info:

The Leper

A ruined man, a warrior, and a poet. The Leper is most effective when given a turn to focus himself before raising his massive blade. When he swings, it is all or nothing - crushing blows and massive damage or the empty whistling of a glancing blow. He is entirely self-sufficient, drawing strength from his life of trauma, and able to channel it into heals, protection, or unrelenting fury.

Last edited:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Has anyone got details on how the Leper plays? Very curious to see what perks/disadvantages he has, looks like such an original character.

EDIT:
Never mind, found some info:

The Leper

A ruined man, a warrior, and a poet. The Leper is most effective when given a turn to focus himself before raising his massive blade. When he swings, it is all or nothing - crushing blows and massive damage or the empty whistling of a glancing blow. He is entirely self-sufficient, drawing strength from his life of trauma, and able to channel it into heals, protection, or unrelenting fury.
What the blurb says. Tankiest tank. Low acc, but can buff it himself. Can deal massive damage to first 2 rows, can heal himself.

My favourite char along with hellion (talk abusive to me).

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So i've just heard about this game an hour ago. Is there really backer exclusive classes? I hate that sort of stuff, just give backers a discount and cosmetic shit.

Looks good, probably worth plonking $15 on judging by the last few pages.

So i've just heard about this game an hour ago. Is there really backer exclusive classes? I hate that sort of stuff, just give backers a discount and cosmetic shit.

The one "back exclusive class" is evidently basically a reskin of one of the other classes.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

The one "back exclusive class" is evidently basically a reskin of one of the other classes.

Alright, sounds good to me. I hadn't bothered to check it up yet.

Eyeball

Arcane
IMO the "+ party stress when taking a critical hit" is BULLSHIT and should FUCK OFF RIGHT NOW! It's irritatingly random from a game mechanics point of view and downright idiotic from a thematic point of view. If my huge armoured tank takes a crit which doesn't even take off 1/3rd of his HP, why should this cause my whole crew to panic? He'll just chop up the offending wimpy bandit on his next turn, no harm, no foul.

Crits should only stress the character receiving them. Furthermore, the whole team should get -stress from killing an enemy, not just the character striking the killing blow. I'd be OK with removing the -stress from character's crits as well. Don't make much sense thematically either if the fuckhuge monster just shrugs it off.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Is there really backer exclusive classes? I hate that sort of stuff, just give backers a discount and cosmetic shit.
Annoying. But if history proves anything, the developer will most likely give it to non-backers as cheap DLC, usually six months after it goes gold.

Eyeball

Arcane
Can't. It was an agreement with Dickstarter that they apparently cannot go back on now despite, allegedly, regretting the decision to make some stuff backer-only.

Angthoron

Arcane
IMO the "+ party stress when taking a critical hit" is BULLSHIT and should FUCK OFF RIGHT NOW! It's irritatingly random from a game mechanics point of view and downright idiotic from a thematic point of view. If my huge armoured tank takes a crit which doesn't even take off 1/3rd of his HP, why should this cause my whole crew to panic? He'll just chop up the offending wimpy bandit on his next turn, no harm, no foul.

Crits should only stress the character receiving them. Furthermore, the whole team should get -stress from killing an enemy, not just the character striking the killing blow. I'd be OK with removing the -stress from character's crits as well. Don't make much sense thematically either if the fuckhuge monster just shrugs it off.
Yeah, it's been pretty annoying, but I imagine it's going to be tuned, and I'm also noticing that the "Sanity gain on kill" mechanic right now is possibly bugged in general, because the narrator is like "As the enemy falls, spirits rise and hope begins to bla bla" and yet there's 0 actual effect - not even on the char that landed the blow. This seems to have started happening after the first patch, as I clearly recall 4-9 de-stress per kill before, though only for landing a killing blow.

I think it'd make sense that chars in Row 1 and maybe 2 would only take individual Stress on crit, since they're there "by their own decision". It shouldn't affect the party if MT or OT are hit in the face, it's what they're there for, but if a healer got their tits mangled, that's a completely different situation and a justified Stress++ for the party. As it is, it makes no sense. Furthermore, frontline fighters could receive a slight hope+ if critically healed, since it's giving them a chance to do their job better. Possibly OP though, but it'd give SOME means of reliable stress management other than bringing a Hope++ spamming Jester. Of course, this then brings new issues, like party shuffle needing its own calculations, so it's a bit of a double-edged thing. Still, yeah, Stress on Crit and Hope on Kill need some tuning/fixing.

Tommers

Augur
Can't. It was an agreement with Dickstarter that they apparently cannot go back on now despite, allegedly, regretting the decision to make some stuff backer-only.
To be fair people started moaning almost immediately but they couldn't change it. They seemed genuinely surprised that it was an issue. It's their first kick starter so I guess they didn't think that one bit through.

I was one of the "furious 125" (or something, we had a funky name that I've forgotten) who were the first people to sign up to the mailing list and we were promised all sorts of shit that has since been forgotten. No big deal.

Which classes are missing anyway? Man at arms, who else?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom