Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OK still. It worked.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
I agree. It's pretty much made for video fodder since the game seems ok for a few hours and if you put it in the hands of people who don't know what they're doing and are distracted by chat it seems honest. That and the resulting large early sale lead is the only reason it still has a decent rating overall.

Of course they deny ever taking part in any paid promotions, and insist all their growth is organic even when I have video content producers contacting me on the condition of anonymity informing me they were pressured about promotions as much as six months in advance, along with people that wouldn't naturally be interested in this style of game but would involve himself in shady activities for money like Kripparian. Even though paid promotions in and of themselves are not actually bad, and it only carries a negative connation when paired with false advertisement. You can also check the reviews right now and there's one that says that "Bitter Bits" (a Twitch streamer) made him leave that positive review and something about a key... yeah...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well I was sold on the game during the Kickstarter not the streamers. Mea culpa.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The game has beautiful artwork and a grungy, gravel voiced narrator. That's like 90% of the marketing right there. I'm also disappointed in DD, though. Turned out to be a little too simplistic and conservative for my tastes. Not enough interesting gameplay mechanics or anything that shows the developers thinking outside the box.

Mozg

Arcane
I don't think they really even needed to innovate. There are plenty of things they coulda just remixed slightly that have easy design templates already (real roguelikes, real blobbers, FTL, XCOM). What they did was stick with a rough draft they couldn't have playtested or thought about that much because they needed something to hang their good art and good concept on right away.

Celerity

Of course they deny ever taking part in any paid promotions

If it had been unrelated individuals streaming the game at their usual times individually, and not a coordinated effort by a company of affiliated professional twitch partners replete with complimentary steam codes, this might pass the smell test.

It's as if they think people are like in the recent South Park episode, unable to tell the difference between marketing and real news.

I meant as a general, ongoing thing. Pay people that stream their game, then promote them constantly. It's kind of a given the beginning was a paid event. They know their game only sells because of videos and sales, so they spam both. Very simple.

They deny paid advertisement, but they deny a lot of things.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/262060/discussions/0/541906348044297852/

Their word is absolutely worthless. What's more, their lies actually look worse than the truth.

I don't think they really even needed to innovate. There are plenty of things they coulda just remixed slightly that have easy design templates already (real roguelikes, real blobbers, FTL, XCOM). What they did was stick with a rough draft they couldn't have playtested or thought about that much because they needed something to hang their good art and good concept on right away.

They don't think through anything from the player perspective at all. Just ask them about afflictions, they'll say some shit like them being an interesting choice... um no? If for whatever reason a character gets afflicted you immediately leave the quest, as you will lose control of them and by extension tactics. There's no penalty for failing a quest, whereas there's a minor one for regrinding a dead character. They design everything in their vacuum and well yeah. This.

http://imgur.com/wQNCxsl

Mustawd

Heard enough. I'm taking this game off my wishlist until I hear better things from full release. Thanks Celerity for the insight.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Oh yeah and forgot a few gems. Their ego has grown so extensively they openly make statements on Twitter like their shitty walking simulator being more important than Baby Jesus (I don't care, but good job pissing off the large portion of the world that's religious!) - There are some lines you never fucking cross...
"I don't care, but..." - Clearly you care. You should move to some country ruled by theocrats, you'd love it. Making harmless jokes is strictly forbidden and blasphemy laws are enforced by penalty of death.

Last edited:

Celerity

Oh yeah and forgot a few gems. Their ego has grown so extensively they openly make statements on Twitter like their shitty walking simulator being more important than Baby Jesus (I don't care, but good job pissing off the large portion of the world that's religious!) - There are some lines you never fucking cross...
"I don't care, but..." - Clearly you care. You should move to some country ruled by theocrats, you'd love it. Making harmless jokes is strictly forbidden and blasphemy laws are enforced by penalty of death.

Or it could be that I acknowledge their statement is extremely offensive without being personally offended at all. I'm athiest. I still wouldn't say that shit as a working professional, especially since it'd also make me seem like an egocentric fuck (you know, the thing some people are accusing me of that's not actually true?). Nice try though.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

If it had been unrelated individuals streaming the game at their usual times individually, and not a coordinated effort by a company of affiliated professional twitch partners replete with complimentary steam codes, this might pass the smell test.

It's as if they think people are like in the recent South Park episode, unable to tell the difference between marketing and real news.
Probably because the line between it is indistinguishable now. People like Total Biscuit and PewDiePie blurred the lines between marketing and reviews/casual streamers. PS, Biscuit was a Blizzard/WoW shill which is how he rose to popularity. You don't need to coordinate much effort these days because the system is already in place. Hundreds of people who 'work' by sitting on their butts playing video games. Companies don't even have to pay them... the prospective consumers do through subs and donations. It's equally brilliant as it is insidious: why foot the bill for marketing when the people who buy your game will do it for you.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron

Or it could be that I acknowledge their statement is extremely offensive without being personally offended at all. I'm athiest. I still wouldn't say that shit as a working professional, especially since it'd also make me seem like an egocentric fuck (you know, the thing some people are accusing me of that's not actually true?). Nice try though.
Extremely offensive, how exactly - also why does holding a certain belief give anyone a special right to be offended? It's an extremely tame joke...

Last edited:

Celerity

It's the latest proof of their egocentrism. If it weren't for that I'd ignore it.

Probably because the line between it is indistinguishable now. People like Total Biscuit and PewDiePie blurred the lines between marketing and reviews/casual streamers. PS, Biscuit was a Blizzard/WoW shill which is how he rose to popularity. You don't need to coordinate much effort these days because the system is already in place. Hundreds of people who 'work' by sitting on their butts playing video games. Companies don't even have to pay them... the prospective consumers do through subs and donations. It's equally brilliant as it is insidious: why foot the bill for marketing when the people who buy your game will do it for you.

Presumably he meant the team of Twitch streamers, but those weren't the only ones promoting it by far or even the biggest ones so you're right. Usually though the Twitch fodder games are first person horror, this is a bit different.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
"Our game is more important than the Super Bowl." - Red Hook.

This is extremely offensive to NFL fans everywhere! Boycott Darkest Dungeon! I'm triggered!

Gulnar

Scholar
Tried this game two times. First time was like, 6 months ago, and well, i appreciate a bit of randomness, but too much is too much. And this game had way too much randomness. Really. Except for the graphic, which is good looking and has a good style, the game was shit. So i disinstalled anf mostly forgot about it. Now - like 10 minutes ago - i re-downloaded and reinstalled it. It's even shittier than it was 6 months ago.

Seethe

Arbiter
Tried this game two times. First time was like, 6 months ago, and well, i appreciate a bit of randomness, but too much is too much. And this game had way too much randomness. Really. Except for the graphic, which is good looking and has a good style, the game was shit. So i disinstalled anf mostly forgot about it. Now - like 10 minutes ago - i re-downloaded and reinstalled it. It's even shittier than it was 6 months ago.

The way the game is now, anti stress mechanic is completely pointless. You un-stress yourself for 3, and the next round you get stressed for 20+ guaranteed. And if one of your characters gets an Affliction, you might as well just quit the dungeon because everyone will become Afflicted after maximum 2 fights.

Also, after all these months, you still gain like 20 stress after getting crit for 1 or 2 damage. Yeah, it doesn't matter how much damage you take, if it says "CRIT" you automatically get stressed even if it's barely a scratch. Good fucking game everyone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom