Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon Pre-Release Thread

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Let me know when it's done.

LegendofOld

Barely Literate
I was cruising around various indie game sites when I ran across Darkest Dungeons. I've been looking for a party based RPG for a while now that can scratch my RPG itch, and Darkest Dungeon looks like it might be able to do the deed. I bring you the article I wrote on the game for your viewing pleasure. Below are the links to a brief article on the game (it will be published sometime next year) and to the website for the game.

If you're anything like me, I'm betting you're going to be excited after having a look around.

http://www.ultimategamedb.com/Article/Article?id=499bfe9b-61d3-4b64-b2c3-422e88dddc60

http://darkestdungeon.com/

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
DD-on-51-inch-TV_499x315.jpg

Infra Arcana does it better

LegendofOld

Barely Literate
I've scored an interview with the guys at Red Hook. Is there anything you guys would like me to ask them concerning the game?

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
At least, it seems they know how to manage a game dev.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/...fantasy-business-darkest-dungeon-pre-mortem-2

Mr Guido should learn from them when it's about how to handle a KS campaign (introducing a monster manual (without at least a minimal knowledge of his world and what kind & how many kind of creatures) at the end of the campaign shows how it is poorly driven), although Darkest Dungeon is not yet at this stage

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The mignola art style certainly looks great and the overall design but I would really love to actualy know more of the actual gameplay. The side scrolling system might work very nicely for combat as the early Final Fantasy games and that insanity meter might be a cool mechanic but without more info it worthless.
Perhaps with the upcoming kickstarter, where they probably will show gameplay, will be more informative.
I truly hope it is good, moody RPGs with cthulhu vibes are always welcome

Art looks neat, from the trailer, it's FF/DQ like combat, which you can't really go wrong with, and the idea seems cool. My only concern, is that when your party members react with fear, and the player isn't intimidated in at least the threat that the obstacle before him poses, this game is gonna turn into "Dungeon Crawling with a bunch of huge pussies."

Mortmal

Arcane
Their kickstarter is going live today :

This game was mentioned in the news ages ago i think , but this trailer has more to show. I d'like to see how they will manage insanity with dungeon crawling.

"Heroes' stress levels key off virtually everything in the dungeon - including each other! Left untended, these stresses can manifest in a variety of behaviors that create gameplay challenges (anger, paranoia, depression, sadism, and more). How you manage your heroes through these stresses is an integral part of the game."

Attritions, hard core, torchlight and food fading ... hmmmm all of this is really really tempting , In any case it looks much more original than usual.

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Looks... sort of okay... doesn't really convey how it plays, though.

Mortmal

Arcane
2D scrolling with turn based combat , and a top view map for exploration i guess.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh, I see, that's gameplay at the end. Yeah, looks cool.

Lhynn

Arcane
Fuck, i want this now. It has even inspired me for a new campaign.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Looks p. cool huh. Nice art, interesting concept.

Prepare to add another simplistic, watered down CRPG that doesn't live up to its potential to the list. :negative:

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
That trailer's been around for a bit; seems like it's just going to be resource management but I guess depending on pacing and events it could be fun. Actual gameplay looks simple as fuck so there needs to be some crazy-good flavor to it or I guess I'll just have to keep crying and hoping the plague-doctor's armor is enough for me to larp my own storyline.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The art and mood look very cool indeed, let us see what they0 ca come up with the kickstarter pitch since so far we don't know much about their actual gameplay...or gameplay design experience for the matter

getter77

Augur
Sigh, why do so many keep falling into the trap of Backer Exclusive classes? Granted, this looks incredibly promising and I want them to succeed, but this really needs to get chiseled into some sort of Unwritten Rule territory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom