Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

Andhaira

Arcane
El's drnker is a weapon of choice for all players who play dark sun. The weapon just flat out rawks.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Yes, although e.g. that "Terror-something" weapon you can get if you do the "find ingredients for shady purposes" quest and find the shady individual himself is also damn fine with its poison extra damage. Also, Dragontooth (Dragonbite?) additionally casts Burning Hands (or sth like that) every hit... the game has about 5 pretty kickass weapons.

Andhaira

Arcane
It also had cool graphix for the weapons. I like the flameblade graphic myself. :P

It also had some cool throwing weapons, the chakram I think. My thrikeen ranger was a freaking badass with it.

jaylittle

Scholar
Got the Drinker. Love that sword. Question, how do you use psionic bracelets?

jaylittle

Scholar
/me smacks his forehead

Thanks that worked great. So I have to admit, this game is pretty awesome. I can't believe I kept shoving it down my to do list. I'm absolutely loving my half-giant fighter/cleric/mage though. That chick kicks some serious ass. Especially with El's Drinker equipped.

jaylittle

Scholar
Damn. Somewhere along the line I seem to have "lost" El's Drinker. Does the weapon expire? Does it have a limited number of uses? That's a pretty big loss... or is this a bug in the game? Or is there some sort of thief taking my stuff?

derill

Novice
jaylittle said:
Damn. Somewhere along the line I seem to have "lost" El's Drinker. Does the weapon expire? Does it have a limited number of uses? That's a pretty big loss... or is this a bug in the game? Or is there some sort of thief taking my stuff?

I don't know about Shattered Lands, but, occasionally, when I was a kid, in wake of the ravager, occasionally, weapons would mysteriously vanish. Also, there are some monsters ( the babau (sp?), i think ) that have an attack that destroys both armour and weapons.

Andhaira

Arcane
Yeah its probably the babau (the thing with tentacles on its arms rigth) So just reload to where you had the weapon and play.

jaylittle

Scholar
The last time I remember that I had them, I was fighting 3/4 Styr inside the Magera Wyrm. As for going to the last save game. Forget that. I'd rather just go on without it. Come to think of it, I also lost some crappy pieces of armor on another party member as well...

The manual says that the only monsters that can destroy weapons/armor are rampagers. I don't remember fighting any of them though...

Ahhh fuck. There were plenty of babaus in there. Damn it.

derill

Novice
jaylittle said:
The last time I remember that I had them, I was fighting 3/4 Styr inside the Magera Wyrm. As for going to the last save game. Forget that. I'd rather just go on without it. Come to think of it, I also lost some crappy pieces of armor on another party member as well...

The manual says that the only monsters that can destroy weapons/armor are rampagers. I don't remember fighting any of them though...

Ahhh fuck. There were plenty of babaus in there. Damn it.

Well, if you go through it the right way, you can only run into 3 babaus, or a little less than that. 2? I don't know. Regardless, I only had one person hit by a babau when I played last week. That was it.

jaylittle

Scholar
Actually I'm playing the game raw without any kind of Game FAQ or anything on top of which this is my first run through of the game ever. So the "right way" isn't something I'm actually familiar with.

Frankly it's a role playing game. If the way I played the role results in me losing the best weapon of the game, then I in theory should be willing to accept that and continue on. Since my last saved game prior to that point is about three hours of gametime back, I just don't feel its worth the effort to keep the weapon.

Elwro

Arcane
Of course. By the way, in DosBox it's unfortunately very easy to have the game set up at quite "normal" speed but with all popup messages like "lol your armor just got destroyed" vanishing in an instant, making for some surprises.

derill

Novice
jaylittle said:
Actually I'm playing the game raw without any kind of Game FAQ or anything on top of which this is my first run through of the game ever. So the "right way" isn't something I'm actually familiar with.

Frankly it's a role playing game. If the way I played the role results in me losing the best weapon of the game, then I in theory should be willing to accept that and continue on. Since my last saved game prior to that point is about three hours of gametime back, I just don't feel its worth the effort to keep the weapon.

I didn't follow no walkthrough, and I haven't played this game in 5-6 years. I just assumed that the path of least resistance is generally the smarter move when it comes to "the best weapon" in the game, especially right before the end of the game fight.

edit :

Also, I hate restarting. When my original characters died, I made new ones, and kept them from getting too close in certain spots. ( SEE : the "secret" treasure cove. Damn, they hurt if you don't take them out fast. With that said, god I love haste. )

derill

Novice
Elwro said:
Of course. By the way, in DosBox it's unfortunately very easy to have the game set up at quite "normal" speed but with all popup messages like "lol your armor just got destroyed" vanishing in an instant, making for some surprises.

Yeah, lol. After getting a few speed messages, I was like "wtf" and was wondering why my fighter wasn't hitting so hard anymore. Then I got swifttooth (sp?) and I was like, "ohhhhhh!". Kinda felt stupid.

Elwro

Arcane
On some reflection, you don't need to find even a single babau to complete the game. I skippes the location with them entirely when I first completed the game 10+ years ago.

jaylittle

Scholar
I could probably just not start up the game and avoid fighting them as well! What a wonderful idea! Fuck it, maybe I'll just load up Oblivion instead of playing Shattered Lands and go kick some glass armor bandito ass! There is nothing like a good non-challenge to get the blood running!

Question: Do you always pussy your way through games or is it just this one?

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Let me just chime in and say that this was one of my favourite games as well...
They nailed the consequence angle in a lot of clever ways in my opinion.

Insult Wyrmias, for example, and say goodbye to a third of your backup for the final battle!

Andhaira

Arcane
They don't make 'em like anymore thats for sure. Though ToEE did try and came close...but the module was so utterly crap that the game suffered for it.

Elwro

Arcane
bylam said:
Let me just chime in and say that this was one of my favourite games as well...
They nailed the consequence angle in a lot of clever ways in my opinion.

Insult Wyrmias, for example, and say goodbye to a third of your backup for the final battle!
Hm, if you do this, I think the genie might not appear, too... which means you're in for a hard time.

Andhaira

Arcane
If you ask the genie for money, do you get to transfer that into Wake of the Ravager?

Elwro

Arcane
Hm. I didn't ask for it, so I'm not 100% sure, but I'd wager that yes, you get it.
Also, many items are transformed to $, so you're filthy rich in the beginning of the second game.

derill

Novice
jaylittle said:
I could probably just not start up the game and avoid fighting them as well! What a wonderful idea! Fuck it, maybe I'll just load up Oblivion instead of playing Shattered Lands and go kick some glass armor bandito ass! There is nothing like a good non-challenge to get the blood running!

Question: Do you always pussy your way through games or is it just this one?

You're unnecessarily aggressive ( I know this is the Codex, but Jesus... ). You think combat is what makes the game a challenge? The combat is simple, and the only time you gotta worry is when it comes to venoms from Wyverns and babaus destroying your armour/weapons.

What comparison is that to Oblivion? As I've said in a previous post, when I was younger, I'd play through with a 4-halfgiant-gladiator team, and that was no problem. This time, I was exponentially weaker, and was smarter about how I'd move and how I'd talk. It took a lot more work for me to make it to that summoner-fucker than to simply punch everything in the lip as I walked by.

Answer : Yes, I always pussy my way through a game I enjoy, because I've done it every other which way, kay?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom