Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Sun 1 DOSBox configuration

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So, what's the best configuration for this game? I haven't had so many troubles with a game in DOSBox before. I mean, it works... but I can't get the speed right. It's either too fast, or too slow.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
If by "too fast" you mean the level-up messages disappear too quickly, there's no way around this. It was a problem back when the game was released, and it still is.

I don't remember anything else about the speed being annoying.

hal900x

Augur
Yeah, it does struggle. My efforts indicate it's an issue with the sound drivers. There are a few things to try, such as choosing different drivers or patching the gravis files, but none of it helped for me. It just crushes the CPU/emulation somehow. So you try to compensate by increasing the cycles, and your toons speed across the map. If you increase them high enough, your toons seem to glide around the map without any visible walking animations. Which is kind of cool in it's own way...reminiscent of truly old school games. Feels like a 2600 game or whatever.

But yeah, best I could do was tweak the driver and the cycles to the point where it was jittery but playable.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, got that one, it's retarded. The cycles are set to auto which makes the game run like shit.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I don't think there's any way to fix the game speed, it just doesn't work well on dosbox.

darkling

Educated
It runs pretty much exactly the same for me in DOSBox as it did in DOS... dunno what you folks are rambling about.

SkeleTony

Augur
darkling said:
It runs pretty much exactly the same for me in DOSBox as it did in DOS... dunno what you folks are rambling about.

Same here. I am using Win XP though so maybe that has something to do with it.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yeah, both the sound and the animations and the level-up messages are exactly as fucked up as they were in the old floppy DOS version. SSI was the best, bro!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom