Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dark Souls II Gameplay Videos and Interview

gromit

Arcane
Creating a new multiplatform engine AND a AAA game for that engine in at most two years time (assuming they started development of the new engine RIGHT after DaS1, which is highly unlikely), is a fucking herculean task, especially for a relatively small, inexperienced company like FS. Look at what happened to Obsidian with Onyx/Alpha Protocol.
I'm with you, but what happened to Obsidian with Onyx/Alpha Protocol is pretty much the exact opposite. They fucked around forever in UE3, including reimplementing entire mechanics to be more "RPG-ish" at the publisher's request, released a buggy mess, and then switched to an in-house engine they adored for several projects in a row.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The entire reason people like Dark Souls is because the combat system is fantastic. That's one of it's best features.

That cannot be denied, but...

If you mash buttons you 100% lose in Dark Souls. In TW2 you can mash buttons all day - and win.

I call bullshit on this. What difficulty did you play on? Easy?

Kron

Arcane
What's with all the Dark Souls gushing over?
For a combat centric game, it's clunky as fuck.
Animations are stiff, enemies pretty much don't react to being hit.
It just has that same clumsy feeling every azn game has when its developers attempt to make a melee/action oriented combat system.

Karellen

Arcane
There were things that were a little bit time consuming or a little bit tedious that we wanted to streamline – sort of carve away all the fat so we could really deliver the lean pure expression of what Dark Souls tries to communicate, which is the sense of satisfaction of overcoming. In terms of accessibility, what we meant was a more streamlined experience to deliver the more pure essence of Dark Souls.
:hearnoevil:

It's gonna be so streamlined! That's never a bad thing!

Dark Souls was streamlined from Demon's Souls and was a better game for it.

Huge fanboy of the previous game here, but there's something terribly off in some of these animations.
Maybe it's just because we are looking at an early build, but it seems a step back from the first and I'm getting the feeling that there is a distinctive lack of weight in how some of these characters move.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
What's with all the Dark Souls gushing over?
For a combat centric game, it's clunky as fuck.

Chain an enemy with enough attacks and they stagger, chain an enemy with a damage type they are weak to and they stagger easier, hit enemies with a large enough sword and they will stagger or sometimes even just fall flat on their faces due to the impact strength smashing them into the earth. How is none of this a reaction to being hit?

It just has that same clumsy feeling every azn game has when its developers attempt to make a melee/action oriented combat system.

Wow look at this clown. Clearly he's never heard of little games such as Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden or God Hand.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You pretty much confirmed in one sentence that you haven't played DS. Bullshitting on the Codex is not rare, lots of people act edgy and make shit up just for fun. But there are things that are pure lies. And your sentence is one of them.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
get the guy who localized The World Ends With You to do the translation, please. if I have to live through another Big Hat Morgan or "his story is told in a monomyth," I fucking swear.

AN4RCHID

Arcane

I don't know about that. It was less linear, there were more weapons and items, a couple new moves, more upgrade paths, the addition of covenants, addition of pyromancy, limited healing resources, more complicated multiplayer stuff.

You could call removing world tendency streamlining, but to be honest I don't think that ever worked the way it was supposed to anyway. The covenants definitely could have been more effective, but I think over all they were a more interesting feature than the easily exploitable karma from DeS.

Huge fanboy of the previous game here, but there's something terribly off in some of these animations.
Maybe it's just because we are looking at an early build, but it seems a step back from the first and I'm getting the feeling that there is a distinctive lack of weight in how some of these characters move.
I agree, looks way too twitchy so far.

AN4RCHID

Arcane

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I agree, looks way too twitchy so far.
What does even this mean? They look the same as in DS.

Don't worry about it buddy, I'm sure you will enjoy the game.

:thumbsup:
Instead of acting clever, answer my question.

No, fuck you. You've been making snarky dismissive posts throughout this thread. You know full fucking well what twitchy means.
1st, I only made 2 snarky comment in this thread. 2nd, I know what twitchy means, and from that video DS2 has no twitchy combat (at least not more than in DS1). That's why I asked you that why do you think it is twitchy.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Like Tuco said, the moves seem to lack weight. Look at how fast that PC is swinging and stabbing in those videos. Des and DaS were kind of unique in that there was a real sense of momentum behind your attacks. Strikes took longer to execute than in most games where giant swords can be swung around like twigs, so you had to be more careful with your timing and more conservative in your fighting style.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Compare the Great Sword seen at around :50 in that first video with comparable weapons in Dark Souls:

Look at how heavy those swords look, compared to the one in DaSII which looks like some Cloud Strife shit.

Karellen

Arcane

I don't know about that. It was less linear, there were more weapons and items, a couple new moves, more upgrade paths, the addition of covenants, addition of pyromancy, limited healing resources, more complicated multiplayer stuff.

You could call removing world tendency streamlining, but to be honest I don't think that ever worked the way it was supposed to anyway. The covenants definitely could have been more effective, but I think over all they were a more interesting feature than the easily exploitable karma from DeS.

The switch from Healing Herbs to the automatically replenishable Estus Flasks is a prime example of streamlining done exactly right. It "limits" healing, yes, but more to the point it also eradicates the need and, to a large extent, the ability to grind for healing items. (There's Humanity, but it was much harder to get in the vanilla game, so most wouldn't bother.) We won't know for sure until the game comes out, but I hope, and suspect, that this is exactly the sort of thing that they're talking about - at least in theory - when they say they want to streamline to deliver more of the "essence" of Dark Souls. They did not want Dark Souls to be about grinding for stuff, so they did away with a game element that encouraged it. Seems like a good decision to me.

I do agree that the daunting refusal to explain things is a big part of the charm of Dark Souls, and what makes it so engaging, but as I see it, it has no intrinsic value - it's good only insofar as it improves the play experience and atmosphere of the game. If the game can be made more readily understandable without sacrificing the underlying feeling of solitude, danger and indifference towards the player, then I'd call that a net win. In Dark Souls, too, there is a careful balance at work; while the game did add new features that arguably increase the complexity of the game, such as the nonlinearity (which I liked a great deal), other features such as bonfires, Estus, Vancian magic and the addition of Pyromancy as a type of magic usable by melee characters all serve to make the game both easier to balance for the developers and more legible for players.

Now, the question is if the things that made Dark Souls so great will survive whatever changes that will be made in the sequel, but I think it's just as much a matter of implementation as it is a matter of principle and theory. Like Tanimura there says, "balance". Who knows if they'll get it right? As I see it, though, there are game elements in Dark Souls that could be further clarified without a net loss for the game, including some of those more complicated multiplayer elements, a few of which did not work terribly well anyway. At any rate, the developers are pretty dedicated to the idea that Dark Souls II should feel hard, inaccessible and nigh-impenetrable, so their hearts seem to be in the right place. For the rest, we'll have to wait and see.

Declinator

Arbiter
Like Tuco said, the moves seem to lack weight. Look at how fast that PC is swinging and stabbing in those videos. Des and DaS were kind of unique in that there was a real sense of momentum behind your attacks. Strikes took longer to execute than in most games where giant swords can be swung around like twigs, so you had to be more careful with your timing and more conservative in your fighting style.

As far as I know it's twitchy when you have to react fast. Nothing seems to indicate that DS2 enemies are any faster and certainly not fast enough to put it in Counter-Strike/twitchy territory.

Though I agree that if the sense of weight is reduced it is a bad thing.

Random

Arcane
Patron
especially for a relatively small, inexperienced company like FS.

They are relatively small, but they are by no means relatively inexperienced. They made Armored Core. They made the King's Field series. They have two Souls games under their belt. They've already made several abysmal failures and learned from their mistakes. They're not Obsidian. They know what they're doing by now.

That being said, there is no guarantee that DkSII will be as good as either of the first two Souls games. But you're making wildly false claims for, fuck, I don't know, I guess you want your e-peen to grow?

AN4RCHID

Arcane
The company has been around for a while, but they don't use their own engines these days. Look at the Prepare to Die debacle and tell me they aren't inexperienced. People think because FS is building their own engine and targeting the PC this time, that the game is going to be more technically sound... Seems naïve.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Compare the Great Sword seen at around :50 in that first video with comparable weapons in Dark Souls:

So you already know that weapon was an Ultra Greatsword and not just a Greatsword ? The Claymore in DS is actually faster than this one (IIRC).

Blackguard

Learned

Completely agree. If DaS was streamlined from DeS then streamline more by all means. The way less linear map design alone made DaS the better game for me, and I absolutely loved DeS.

St. Toxic

Arcane
That sword is ridiculously huge, not unlike several others in the series, but doesn't seem all that fast. Having seen only a heavy overhead and a swing it's pretty difficult to accurately determine whether or not it is imbalanced. The most concerning aspect is how easily these opponents were dispatched by a player who was obviously not even trying. The tutorial levels in DeS and DaS had more difficult encounters.

Completely agree. If DaS was streamlined from DeS then streamline more by all means.

I think bonfires, estus flasks, poison nerf and curse as a rare condition are more than enough streamlining.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom