Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Dark Souls/Elden Ring modding megathread (Archthrones demo available now)

ADL

Prophet
I finally got around to playing the demo. Not only did I enjoy this more than Elden Ring, these guys are doing things with the Dark Souls engine I didn't even know was possible. Goddamn.

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
Amazing to me how much effort people can put into things without ever stopping to think "Wait, is this dogshit?"

ADL

Prophet
Retrofitted the thread originally about Nightfall exclusively into one about all the cool modding projects I've found or played recently. Seeker of Fire for Dark Souls 2 is incredible and Archthrones is some crazy shit man. They're straight up porting Dark Souls 2 areas into Dark Souls 3.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
What would really blow Dark Souls modding wide open is if they could figure out a way to import functional, fan-made maps into the games instead of having to (slightly) modify existing ones or use maps from the other games in the franchise.

That being said, is this the first time a mod has actually managed to take a map from one of the other games and plop it into another one?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
What would really blow Dark Souls modding wide open is if they could figure out a way to import functional, fan-made maps into the games instead of having to (slightly) modify existing ones or use maps from the other games in the franchise.

That being said, is this the first time a mod has actually managed to take a map from one of the other games and plop it into another one?

Well, if you like HALO, I got a treat for you...

:prosper:

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Well, if you like HALO, I got a treat for you...
I'm aware they managed to do that, for whatever ungodly reason.

Thing is, you can import new maps into DS games without much issue, but the problem is that the enemy AI doesn't work in them because modders are unable to add AI behavior and navigation nodes to the maps.

ADL

Prophet
It was done before by this guy. He made headlines a couple years ago when he imported Half-Life's crossfire map into Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1/2/3 and a couple years later he managed to get collision working properly. Maybe they figured out how to get custom navmeshes working too? Or maybe it only works because they're exporting it from another Souls game with everything baked into it already (a tweet I found seems to indicate this)

Check out his channel. Seems you have to sacrifice a bonfire for it to work though.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Looks like Katalash got an early implementation of navmesh generation in custom maps working a year ago but nothing has come of it publicly yet. Everyone's updating their tools to support Elden Ring so I'm not expecting it anytime soon.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The DS2 overhaul is looking pretty good

Actually puts into perspective how much of a shit deal this game's development was, because of the decision to be a cross gen title

Last edited:

Old Hans

Arcane
I just got dark souls 2 for the pc & the first thing I did was check to see if there was a HD texture pack, because if any game deserves it, it's dark souls 2. but to my dismay, I found nothing. You'd think after all these years, there would be at least be something, but nope.

ADL

Prophet
Archthrones gameplay showcase released. Good shit.
Dark Souls II gigachads win again

FLnhnL3.jpeg

RH9cDWz.jpeg

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Visually speaking, it's certaintly doing more interesting things with DS3 than what From did

Also, modders can rip any kind of asset from other From games (including Bloodborne)?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Niggas just took existing assets and pieces of levels, and then rearranged them in a different order.

Also it looks like these modders are huge fans of that gay DeS Remake. They even copied its ugly D-pad gui.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Also, modders can rip any kind of asset from other From games (including Bloodborne)?

Porting Bloodborne on PC via Dark Souls modding here we come.

Ho no wait modders are more interested in doing dog shit like the above.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Porting Bloodborne on PC via Dark Souls modding here we come.
Also thought of that at first, but a project of that scale is possibly too complex
Besides, I think that most likely would be a great way to summon down on them the legal banhammer from Sony

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I see some ambient occlution there. That shit always seems to give a subtle but annoying cell shaded effect on characters in Souls games, but muh graphics i guess.

Old Hans

Arcane
I see some ambient occlution there. That shit always seems to give a subtle but annoying cell shaded effect on characters in Souls games, but muh graphics i guess.
im currently playing through dark souls 2 and their ambient occlusion is so terrible. it's like someone outlined everything with a big magic marker

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It wasn't any better in DSFix last time i played the Prepare to Die edition.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Niggas just took existing assets and pieces of levels, and then rearranged them in a different order.
The last level they've showed didn't remind of any particualr place - I recognized some of the assets from DS3's village, but the actual layout of the space didn't mostly resemble that location in DS3
The idea itself is not bad, specially if they really are going with DeS's level progression this is possibly great for the designers
Start off with a familiar level from the other games, but with significant alterations and remixes - and then as you develop new levels, you make them progressively more unique
The problem is veteran players might find this early familiarity unistering and end up dropping the game before the interesting parts

Puukko

Arcane
Remixing existing assets can make for great results. I still remember the Archdruid boss from DS3 Convergence. Was hard as balls, and I couldn't figure out which enemy it was based on until I found out it was a Sekiro boss. This mod seems to be heavily using Sekiro move sets as well. More than fine by me, since I don't think I'll get into that game at this point.

ADL

Prophet
Haven't played Convergence as I heard middling things about it but I was really impressed with the Archdruid fight when a friend sent it to me. Didn't know they had a playable druid class in game. I'm gonna try it now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom