Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Are you sure of that? I had impression the blood moon is seen from all "real world" locations, and only the dream planes (Nightmare frontier, Hunter's dream, etc) lack it?
Nope, definitely no blood moon in the Forbidden Woods, Hemwick Lane, Forsaken Castle, etc. Regular moon shining brightly simultaneously with blood moon in Yharnam/Yahargul.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
In DS3, Irithyll also lacks the dark sun but that's easily explained by the location being "magical", in the sense that's a moon/illusion themed region since DS1.
The sun also always shines brightly in Archdragon Peak (home of the exiled son of Gwyn). I think it's less to do with magical illusions, and more with the power of the local "god" maintaining these celestial lights (or lack thereof).

Silva

Arcane
Aaaaand I finally killed Midir without any help for the first time. Great fight, easily best dragon in the series (which is not saying much as these are usually shit). I didn't see ER's Placidusax yet though.

And whoever said Twin Demons is hard is a pussy, I went through it again and pfffff the thing gets multiple posture breaks from normal hits. Enough said.

Oh, and I got the fabled "Freyed blade". Cool weapon, but Chikage is still best katana. :smug:

In DS2 you have sconces that you can light up and sometimes they will make enemies appear. There's a lot of little puzzles and small interactions in that game, it's great.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Have you replayed Dark Souls 3 recently? Just had a heck of a fine playthrough. Here is one of my favourite boss fight tracks.

Found some bloke who showcased Midir's awesome move he does.

Timestamped (its at 15 seconds in)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Have you replayed Dark Souls 3 recently?

Nope. Played it once through with a friend and never again, primarily (though not exclusively) because the level design is rubbish and there are way too many bonfires too closely spaced, which ruins any possible enjoyment of exploration and general PvE, and reduces the game to a boss rush with some farming in between.

DS1 and DS2, on the other hand, I've played through several times each.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
366628572_838255654333260_2454854809193696225_n.jpg

Silva

Arcane
Probably the wrong place to ask but...

Did "Dark Caster" build for my yearly playthrough. Stoped at SL 125 with 45/45 Int/Fth to wreck shit with Great Soul Dreg and the eventual Pyro on the side.

Then I realized I don't play PvP and there's no point in stopping at SL 125. So I'm going to SL 150 now, which raises the question: what Int/Fth stats should I go for then, 60/60?

Assuming I decide to invest in Str/Dex to have fun with some weapons, should I go 20/20 with it and leave Int/Fth at 50/50? Makes sense?

Tl;DR: what are the ideal caps for a SL150 character?

Caim

Arcane
Probably the wrong place to ask but...

Did "Dark Caster" build for my yearly playthrough. Stoped at SL 125 with 45/45 Int/Fth to wreck shit with Great Soul Dreg and the eventual Pyro on the side.

Then I realized I don't play PvP and there's no point in stopping at SL 125. So I'm going to SL 150 now, which raises the question: what Int/Fth stats should I go for then, 60/60?

Assuming I decide to invest in Str/Dex to have fun with some weapons, should I go 20/20 with it and leave Int/Fth at 50/50? Makes sense?

Tl;DR: what are the ideal caps for a SL150 character?
You need 50 for the most powerful sorcery, and 60 is the final soft cap before the hard damage falloff. At the higher levels the court sorcerer staff gets the best returns, so if you want to go 60 that's possible if costly.

It also depends on how hard you want to go on your defenses: if you want moderate HP, stamina and protection you can afford far more damage output. Also consider your weapon of choice: a simple sword will allow you much more flexibility than a big two handed axe.

Honestly, I'd feed your build into a planner and see what comes out. Personally I'd ignore SL altogether since you're not going to PVP, but you do you.

https://soulsplanner.com/darksouls3

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I spaced out and spoke of Elden Ring. My apologies. Deleted my post as it pertains to nothing being discussed.

Silva

Arcane
Thanks, folks. 60/60 it is then.

I have 40 attunement right now for max spell slots but I'll consider reallocating some of those pts to stamina or Str/Dex for weapons.

About staffs, while the court sorcerer one has good scaling on paper, it's only INT and thus not good for dark spells. I've found the murky one (found in dreg heap) better as it scales from both INT/FTH (same is valid for chimes, where Caitha scales dually from INT/FTH and thus is good for dark miracles).

EDIT: actually, after reading the wiki and discussions it seems the sorcery staffs follow the same logic as weapons, in that they have ideal stat spreads to maximize spell power. For eg, the court sorcerer staff favors very high INT investment like 60+. The murky staff favors INT with a bit of FTH so something like 45/20, while the Izalith staff, another one that drinks from INT and FTH favors an equal spread like 40/40, making it the ideal for a pyro that wants to double as a sorcerer. So, for my dark caster maining the Onyx Blade and Great Sould Dreg spell, the ideal would be a murky staff with around 50/30 INT/FTH.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane

I have 40 attunement right now for max spell slots but I'll consider reallocating some of those pts to stamina or Str/Dex for weapons.

About staffs, while the court sorcerer one has good scaling on paper, it's only INT and thus not good for dark spells. I've found the murky one (found in dreg heap) better as it scales from both INT/FTH (same is valid for chimes, where Caitha scales dually from INT/FTH and thus is good for dark miracles).

EDIT: actually, after reading the wiki and discussions it seems the sorcery staffs follow the same logic as weapons, in that they have ideal stat spreads to maximize spell power. For eg, the court sorcerer staff favors very high INT investment like 60+. The murky staff favors INT with a bit of FTH so something like 45/20, while the Izalith staff, another one that drinks from INT and FTH favors an equal spread like 40/40, making it the ideal for a pyro that wants to double as a sorcerer. So, for my dark caster maining the Onyx Blade and Great Sould Dreg spell, the ideal would be a murky staff with around 50/30 INT/FTH.
From what I can see the Izalith staff has some pretty beefy scaling at the higher levels, but if you're just going to be blasting with Great Soul Dregs then 50/30 just might do it for you. Slap on the stats for the Onyx Blade, give yourself a decent Stamina bar (I tend to prefer 24 for a nice 120 Stamina, which is three-fourths of the max), level up your Vitality in accordance with your armor and rings, and put the rest into Vigor.

Silva

Arcane

From what I can see the Izalith staff has some pretty beefy scaling at the higher levels, but if you're just going to be blasting with Great Soul Dregs then 50/30 just might do it for you. Slap on the stats for the Onyx Blade, give yourself a decent Stamina bar (I tend to prefer 24 for a nice 120 Stamina, which is three-fourths of the max), level up your Vitality in accordance with your armor and rings, and put the rest into Vigor.
Yup, that's the reasoning.

- Wanna be a full dark caster throwing every shit there is among sorceries, miracles and pyros? Go 40/40 and Izalith (or another value preserving that ratio).
- Just wanna wreck shit with Soul Dregs (and some Affinity or Dark Edge on the side)? Go 40/20 with Murky (idem for ratio) and abuse the staff's skill that boosts dark shit by a whooping 20% damage.

That makes the Pyromancer class a better start for a full dark caster, and the Sorcerer a better start for the dark sorcerer.

And that closes my questions about dark builds. Now on to NG+ to experiment and have fun. I'll post back here if I discover more stuff.

P.S: just noticed the dark spell variants for each school (sorcery, miracles, pyro) has a "rotten" scroll behind the icon, making it easier to identify what spells you should mind for this archetype. Neat detail.

Last edited:

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
In DS3, Irithyll also lacks the dark sun but that's easily explained by the location being "magical", in the sense that's a moon/illusion themed region since DS1.
The sun also always shines brightly in Archdragon Peak (home of the exiled son of Gwyn). I think it's less to do with magical illusions, and more with the power of the local "god" maintaining these celestial lights (or lack thereof).

My impression was was that the story was that the world has been through so many cycles that time and space is breaking apart and getting pulled together.

Locations that logically should be far apart geographically are now close to each other. Things that should have happened far apart in time are now right beside each other.

Everything is converging to a single point as both exemplified by the design of the final area and the lord of cinder. When you're moving through the world you're not just moving spatially but also through time. The most extreme example of this are the final teleports both in the main game and the ringed city.

Essentially there is a reverse big bang going on, possibly before the universe is really reborn or real non-existence, not just darkness.

Silva

Arcane
Makes sense.
My impression was was that the story was that the world has been through so many cycles that time and space is breaking apart and getting pulled together.
That's the gist of it, yes.It would probably make more sense if the game didn't went through the development hell it did, but there's enough evidence anyway.

Some NPCs even use this fact to advance their agendas, like king Oceiros and the private age of darkness on his courtyard where he sought clues for his dragon research, or the Londor church that sends pilgrims across eras to stall the fire rekindling while looking for a dark lord to usurp it.

Last edited:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

Locations that logically should be far apart geographically are now close to each other. Things that should have happened far apart in time are now right beside each other.

Everything is converging to a single point as both exemplified by the design of the final area and the lord of cinder. When you're moving through the world you're not just moving spatially but also through time. The most extreme example of this are the final teleports both in the main game and the ringed city.

Essentially there is a reverse big bang going on, possibly before the universe is really reborn or real non-existence, not just darkness.
Doesn't Dark Souls 2 also do this? Implying time isn't working properly as well?

Max Damage

Savant
Time travel is time travel, Sif also recognizes you if you save her in the past.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom