Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

zwanzig_zwoelf

The only thing I would really like from Dark Souls 3 is...
...using DS3 as a name for Evergrace 3 with Kota Hoshino back as a composer and causing massive butthurt among DS community due to his music style.
:yeah:

Karellen

Arcane
DkS 2 is great. I mean just compare to every other console game that isn't a Souls game or Bloodborne. It's a fucking odyssey of Jap ARPG punishment. "Odyssey" is probably a real consolefag-ish thing to say, like calling a game an "experience," but whatever. It's like an ambitious sequel to a classic movie, where the scope is greater but it's not quite as sharp, as some would say of T2 or Matrix Reloaded (DkS2 is actually a good follow-up though).

And that was part of the problem: they doubled down on what they thought people enjoyed about the series, like getting raped, and did it in a thoughtless manner. What was considered hard-but-fair got turned into hard-but-fuck-you, here's this room full of cock knockers and statues spitting poison, with a couple of black phantoms and an invade sprinkled on top -and they're all aggro'd, bitch. Or something like that. Inelegant design, basically.

Well, that's a bit imprecise, since the "holds-you-down-and-stuffs-something-down-your-rear-end" bits of Dark Souls 2 were by far the best parts of the game. The problem is, there wasn't much else there - the original Dark Souls did have the harsh difficulty, but it also had way better exploration and a sense of wonder and accomplishment that came simply from discovering new places and things. One important thing was how areas had clear themes - most notably, the Catacombs and Tomb of the Giants were about Miracles, the Depths and Lost Izalith were Pyromancy, Duke's Archives was Sorcery and Oolacile was Abyss. This made the areas a whole lot more coherent and allowed for more meaningful item placement too, which again made exploration feel more relevant. Of course, the neat and fairly sophisticated inter-connectedness and soft gating of areas during the first half of Dark Souls also had a big role in this.

Dark Souls 2, on the whole, had much less of those things, which also led to worse environmental storytelling and a worse ambience in general. The result is that the "unfair" bits in the gameplay stand out more, and it doesn't feel like the game is rewarding you as much, because the item placement was erratic and most of the stuff wasn't too interesting anyway. So even though the game is really good, and no harder than DS1 was, really, it feels more like a masochist grind because you didn't have those euphoric moments of revelation when you climb your way out of the Depths and realise you're at New Londo Ruins.

As for Dark Souls 3? Hell yes, bring it on.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I hope they change some more stuff though.

The spells could all use a major overhaul for example. I am also not sure that the current hard and softcaps on stats make much sense either.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Is there a reason why we are not seeing more Demons Souls? Only one game in the "main" series and they jumped to make spiritual successor Dark-series.

Martius

Liturgist
Its Sony property. Thats the reason why Dark Souls was made on both 360 and ps3 (and pc later). I suppose they prefer to expand what they own.

Gozma

Arcane
Do they actually have the IP for Dark or is it Bandai-Namco?

A relevant question is why Bloodborne is Bloodborne and not Demon's Souls 2, which I'd bet Sony would have been OK with.

Martius

Liturgist
They should since they are publisher of their own games in Japan. If that wasn't the case Bandai-Namco would be publisher both for Japan and other countries.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Do they actually have the IP for Dark or is it Bandai-Namco?

A relevant question is why Bloodborne is Bloodborne and not Demon's Souls 2, which I'd bet Sony would have been OK with.

... typically companies don't let people use their trademarks for free. You have to provide an explanation to investors why you did, for one thing, which for a company like Sony (which has been facing losses like the other big electronic moguls) leaves them in a tight spot.

nomask7

Arcane
If anything deserves to become a Zelda-like series with new titles every few years, Dark Souls is one of those things.

There are a few interesting things they could do with the franchise: increase the size of levels and make it more about surviving those levels rather than surviving boss fights, increase stat caps and do other stuff so that New Game+ becomes a valid continuation like in Diablo II, add levitation scrolls that can be used to skip areas or explore secrets, create some levels that are large and more maze-like as in TES: Arena, make the game a lot longer (vanilla DS2 was too damn short), probably other stuff I can't think of right now.

Even just doing what they've already done and doing it well would be very welcome. Three (rather short) games aren't a lot when the basic concept is so good and there are no other games that are truly similar.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
As long as that god awful concept of Soul Memory never returns I'm sure Dark Souls 3 will be fine.

Dark Souls 2 DLC was well done as a whole.

Bloodborne is excellent.

Good trends in design aspects, not worried about the quality.

Machocruz

Arcane
I'd like to see a Bloodborne-ish setting as an area in a Souls game, and the accompanying fashion options. Also: crossbow parries? Faster movement? Transforming weaponry?

34scell

Augur
A combination of Dark Souls 1 and Demon souls would be best; a central hub with separate worlds, but each with a metroidvania design.

Ivan

Arcane
Extrapolate the giant's dream idea. Have a nexus whereby you enter the memories of Lost Ones. It would allow the team to create entirely unique levels, a la Demouns Souls. As much as I love DaS1+2+Bloodborne, Demons Souls is the best when talking about replayability and beating the game in different ways.

Extrapolate the giant's dream idea. Have a nexus whereby you enter the memories of Lost Ones. It would allow the team to create entirely unique levels, a la Demouns Souls. As much as I love DaS1+2+Bloodborne, Demons Souls is the best when talking about replayability and beating the game in different ways.

:retarded: how?
DS1+2 have like at least 5 times more weapons/armour/spells. with master key in ds1 you can skip anything but ringing the bells in first half of the game. ds2 gives you at least 5 different directions to go from majula. DeS lets you choose in what order you play the hubs but you cant beat 1-3 until at least one archdemon is killed. ffs DeS has literally 2 great swords with 14 different ultras in DS2:salute:

Ivan

Arcane
Level variety, resources found within each world are specific, it gives you a compelling reason to explore each world. So given which style you want to pursue, you can think up a unique way of doing the levels.

Dark Souls cockblocked me with the Lord Vessel, and Dark Souls 2 OC is just plain bland.

But ya if you're into weapons I guess of course the sequels would have MOAR. if that's what you're into.

Ivan

Arcane
Lets look at this shit...Toughts to cum

OH MY GOD. WHITE PEOPLE. WHY YOU DO THIS TO ME

Thing of Note; wold tendency may affect boss fights. that sounds like a good idea.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
The screens look like there's a Dark Souls 1 mod for BB. The areas all look like BB but the interface/items looked like DS 1.

Also, dunno how I feel about more fighting game mechanics regarding animation cancels. BUT THEN WE PCUCKS WON'T EVEN SEE IT SO WHO CARES HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA

>;(

zwanzig_zwoelf

Latest DS3 "leaks" are fake and gay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom