Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
But the chalice dungeons introduce new things. Have you explored them? They're also a unique for From games form of unifying NG with NG+(+).

I did up to Abhorrent Beast at the end of Ailing Loran, but the whole ordeal was just too tedious. I'd fight the bosses alone if I could, but no, you need to look for materials to unlock further dungeons, so I quit. Anyway, I'll write up detailed impressions about Bloodborne in the appropriate thread and we can continue therein.

I will say that (after a single playthrough, opinion subject to change) I enjoyed the game more than DS3, if only because it feels fresh for trying new things rather than retreading old ground (even though the new things don't quite work in my opinion).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Astora Straight Sword -> 322 AR at Raw +10.
Astora Ultra Greatsword ->330 AR at Raw +10.

Is this retarded or I'm missing something !?

R2 on big weapons especially charged does ton of damage same as weapon skills.
If you double hand UG it does more damage if you would double hand normal sword.
Then there is reach, infinite poise frames and type of attack.

Spamming R1 attacks while one handed doesn't make any sense with big weapons
There's also the fact that the UGS attacks can't be parried. R1 spam aside, this makes it a lot more versatile in pvp and handy against the enemies that parry as well.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I get the feeling that this game is better enjoyed as a single player experience, since 95% of all complaints are MP related AND I'm very much enjoying my PvE.

My build is the most obvious and straightforward thing possible: sword and board knight. I'm using the starting gear with LKS replacing the longsword. I raised vigor and endurance to 20 and now I'm pumping Dex for some extra damage. Might go quality or dex.

Straight swords are somewhat OP in DaS3. Enjoy the cheese.

Try to play with anything else and tell us about your experience.

DemonKing

Arcane
I finished a few nights ago and then checked some spoilers and went back to do a few areas I missed (*cough* Archdragon Peak *cough*). There were some really nice detailed environments in this game but some which were bland and forgettable. I ran out of patience about 2/3s of the way through and started using summons for most of the latter boss fights. I found the Nameless King in particular difficult even with two others to help!

Armour was pretty useless in this game and it was very difficult to compare stuff when looking to upgrade. Weapon variety was almost too much with almost everything being useful if you were willing to invest into upgrades. There's a pretty decent variety of monsters which makes the game more interesting although some do repeat in different locations over the course of the game.

I didn't find it as challenging as DS1 or 2 but maybe that was due to familiarity with the concept. I liked the fact that when you weren't embered you couldn't be invaded which meant you could just enjoy the PvE without worry about some cheesehead hiding in mobs and waiting to strike.

I think this would be a pretty good first DS game if you're new to the concept, but I think a lot of veterans wont' find too much new here to enjoy. There was just enough there to keep me going to the end. Probably by the time the DLC is released I'll be ready for another crack.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I liked the fact that when you weren't embered you couldn't be invaded which meant you could just enjoy the PvE without worry about some cheesehead hiding in mobs and waiting to strike.

:roll:

nothing pisses me off more than other invaders attacking you as an invader.

An invadee having a seeded world+dried finger and lots of reds is one of the funniest things this game has to offer.

Jezal_k23

So I left the internet in order to play DS3 unspoiled, while juggling work and school so it took me a while. Overall great, but I really hated how they wasted Yhorm with a gimmick and the overall number of gimmicky boss fights in the game, although I'll say most of them were pretty good or great. LOVED Pontiff especially (hardest boss for me to beat), the Dancer, the twins, Aldrich, Abyss Watchers, final boss fight was pretty cool also. Right now I just haven't beat Nameless King yet because honestly the first part of the fight is kind of annoying with him flying all over the place. Overall a worthy successor to DS1 I think. Worst boss fight is easily Yhorm which is definitely my personal worst disappointment in the souls series, the wyvern was pretty shit, Oceiros was really cool but he couldn't ever hit you if you stayed behind him at all times which made the fight kinda trivial. Anor Londo caught me by total surprise and I loved it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Just finished the 4th complete play-though.

Before I rant about some shit, I just want to say that I really *REALLY* wanted to give this game a second chance. And to be honest, it has ups and downs but after 175+ hours spent on it my impression is that this is the weakest DaS game.

- Most locations are forgettable fodder and half of them are simply garbage or nostalgia trips. Irithyll and Anor Londo are my biggest disappointments in this department.

The most fleshed out locations are: High Wall of Lothric, Undead Settlement, Lothric Castle, Cathedral of the Deep, Grand Archives and Archdragon Peak. I honestly enjoyed the first 3 of them and I recognize the last 3 are good even if I did not enjoy them too much.

They are polished and they are somewhat complex however the world is no longer a dangerous place as in the previous games. The world doesn't have a consistent tone and it feels as disjointed as DaS2 vanilla and I don't know how that is possible.

It's like they created separate levels and then they glued them all in the end. This process is betrayed by the non-sensical placement of bonfires - I think there is one place with 3 bonfires in vicinity.

This is not inherently bad but I think they could have done much better. Am I the only one who expected something like Blightown or The Gutter? Cause Farron Keep ain't one of those.

- There is no location which leads to more than one exit and the amount of dead ends is really annoying. Overall DaS1 world design is head and shoulders above this crap and even the retarded cousin DaS2 is better than this.

On top of this, this streamlined world design enforces a linear experience of the game. I know there are 2 or 3 intersections in the game but the majority of players will follow the game design and they will experience it in the same fucking way.

Yeah, free exploration of the game world is gone. Enjoy your polished corridor. It's pretty and it's made by Miyazaki.

- The combat mechanics changes are the worst offenders. I don't want to whine about the faster pace and poise and other shit ... I just want to mention the over-reliance on artificial difficulty tricks.

I loved the previous games because I knew that it was my fault when I died. Git gud worked. However this shit is no longer true in DaS3: mobs have infinite stamina, mobs can teleport, mobs have almost instant attacks, mobs have homing missiles attacks and other shit like this.

Disregarding the fact that some weapons are OP and you can simply stun and kill a mob before he can react, the thing is you never know what will happen when you encounter a mob.

This bullshit is more pregnant when dealing with the bosses: it happened more than once that I died because suddenly the boss decided to perform a combo out of his ass. Yeah, I know I suck cause I cannot predict the future but I need to live like this.

Special credits to the Nameless Cretin boss: half of the fight is with controlling the camera. I actually had him teleport out of the camera and then kill me in one hit without any chance of dodging. Cause the fucking AI knows when you are low on HP or stamina.

My death felt cheap and unfair. This is the opposite of what the combat was supposed to be: the result of a genuinely complex but fair combat system. For me fairness is the most important aspect of DaS games and lacking it is the one thing that can kill the franchise.

This is the sole thing that made me trudge with disgust through-out the game.

- PvP is broken. There are two significant reasons for this: its overall design and the weapons balance. I don't want to mention the redundant covenants which don't work and probably will never work.

I just want to exemplify: Today I did 40+ invasions and only 2 of them were single players which did not use estus flasks. The rest of them were either ganks or some retards with 2 phantoms. There were only two times when I actually won versus 3 players.

Most of the time, I died instantly because you don't really have many options against 3 players. In fact, you are DOA if one of them is competent. And what are the chances of that !? So, Pontiff bonfire is the only place in the game where you can get consistent 1-on-1 pvp.

But then you have the hitbox problem where a longsword has a bigger reach than a spear. Not to mention the absolutely retarded hitboxes for Estocs, Twinswords or Katanas. Yeah, they are not fixed and they will probably not be fixed cause they work as "intended".

In the end, I felt like there is no point in pvp when the opponent simply pokes you from a safe distance. And most of players are starting to wind down on R1 spamming therefore parrying is and will become harder to pull off.

In fact the only way to succeed in pvp is to parry every attack. Now it depends on the person but that becomes boring after a while. How many hours can you invest in doing the same thing before the effect starts to wear off!? I don't know but for me it's done.

So, that's about it. I tried to get gud for one month. I thought that the game will click with me eventually but it did not happen and I don't think it will happen. I did enjoy the game, overall it's a good game; just not a good Dark Souls game.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
I finally got summoned once as a blade of darkmoon & aldritch faithful after 100+ hours in this game.

toro mobs don't have infinite stamina. stop saying that. what mobs are teleporting and have instant attacks? The only ones I know with homing attacks are the sorcerers that shoot fire or the fat one with the gnawing miracle.

The bosses don't know you're on low health, it just seems like that if you try to heal with low health. Gwyn and Artorias did the exact same thing. If you've played the game for over 100+ hours, you should be able to tell every bosses moveset by now.

If you want to succeed in PVP, get a great hammer, ultra greatsword or greataxe and poise through attacks. Someone mentioned it earlier, but when two handed, these weapons can't be parried.

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane
"Braille" in Dark Souls is so anachronistic. It's named after a real life 19th century person for one thing, and everything else about it (e.g. it's made for block press printing, it's a binary code, it's based on giving a shit about disabled people) is so modern and un-medieval. Should have at least made up some lore person that invented something you could touch-read instead of "Braille".

Fuckign B-team

I kinda wonder what Japs called those items and whether using "Braille" was a choice western localizers made.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I finally got summoned once as a blade of darkmoon & aldritch faithful after 100+ hours in this game.

toro mobs don't have infinite stamina. stop saying that. what mobs are teleporting and have instant attacks? The only ones I know with homing attacks are the sorcerers that shoot fire or the fat one with the gnawing miracle.

The bosses don't know you're on low health, it just seems like that if you try to heal with low health. Gwyn and Artorias did the exact same thing. If you've played the game for over 100+ hours, you should be able to tell every bosses moveset by now.

If you want to succeed in PVP, get a great hammer, ultra greatsword or greataxe and poise through attacks. Someone mentioned it earlier, but when two handed, these weapons can't be parried.

The Dark Knights have infinite stamina and almost instant attacks. Their stamina is not emulated and they simply take a break from attacks. If you are too stupid to realize this then you should not talk about it.

Dogs are teleporting and guess what ... most enemies teleport the second you don't watch them!!!

The bosses know when you are low on HP or stamina. In fact they become very aggressive exactly when you cross some threshold line. But that is not something a Dark Sword scrub who killed all bosses on 1st try could know.

You are so far gone that you will not admit something is wrong with the game even if Miyazaki releases a statement saying so. Indeed, your input is valuable ... to someone.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah I think I came across the teleporting dog once or twice. It seems like a FOV/ragdoll bug not intended, but it's annoying. I always kill those fuckers though, they're so fucking annoying if you run from them.
And it certainly seems like enemies have infinite stamina, or at least attacking stamina, which is more obvious with the very aggressive mobs. If you hit guarding knights enough, they will drop their guard.

For the bosses there were many times I felt they were doing random things, but that may not actually be the case. I recall especially hating Aldritch and I was sure his attacking patterns where random (especially the arrow swarm), but then I saw this guy beat him at SL1 with no rolls/blocks/parries/estus, and he explained a couple of things about when he performs certain attacks and he was right. So it seems that some bosses may have pretty complicated attack patterns which are just difficult to be interpreted by the player.

DramaticPopcorn

Yeah, except Aldrich will still use homing arrows at point blank in his 2nd stage. I think I died about 20 times to him exactly because he is fucking RNG piece of shit, until I figured out his triggers and baited his melee attacks consistently. Jesus christ that fight man

The Dark Knights have infinite stamina and almost instant attacks. Their stamina is not emulated and they simply take a break from attacks. If you are too stupid to realize this then you should not talk about it.

Dogs are teleporting and guess what ... most enemies teleport the second you don't watch them!!!

The bosses know when you are low on HP or stamina. In fact they become very aggressive exactly when you cross some threshold line. But that is not something a Dark Sword scrub who killed all bosses on 1st try could know.

You are so far gone that you will not admit something is wrong with the game even if Miyazaki releases a statement saying so. Indeed, your input is valuable ... to someone.

:retarded:
how is that teleporting? he is doing charge attack of the fucking stairs no wonder he "levitates" for a split second in the air. i could understand your complaints if that was instant teleport to backstab you like some pvp lagstabs bullshit but this? lol at dark knights instant attacks. they are slow as fuck unless you are blind and paraplegic. irithil outrider knights are faster than those slow ass darkwraiths.

bro you did not give DS3 second chance. You gave it 4 fucking chances :lol: Why put up to 175 hours if game was known to be shit after like second playthrough? Just 1162 more and you will be at Celerity level :M

The most fleshed out locations are: High Wall of Lothric, Undead Settlement, Lothric Castle, Cathedral of the Deep, Grand Archives and Archdragon Peak. I honestly enjoyed the first 3 of them and I recognize the last 3 are good even if I did not enjoy them too much.
so half of the game locations are cool while other half is mediocre or shit? Sounds like every other game in the franchise

They are polished and they are somewhat complex however the world is no longer a dangerous place as in the previous games. The world doesn't have a consistent tone and it feels as disjointed as DaS2 vanilla and I don't know how that is possible.
:retarded: actually this is the most consistent thematically world next to BB. Which is also its weakness without unique locations like Dragons Aerie or Shrine of Amana or even Blightown.

It's like they created separate levels and then they glued them all in the end. This process is betrayed by the non-sensical placement of bonfires - I think there is one place with 3 bonfires in vicinity.

That sounds exactly like DS2 vanilla not DS3. You think or you are certain? Aside from Dragon Slayers Armor/ Grand archives double bonfire i dont remember any jarring bonfire placement. Cathedral of the deep has single bonfire same with Irithil Dungeon/most of the profaned capital.

This is not inherently bad but I think they could have done much better. Am I the only one who expected something like Blightown or The Gutter? Cause Farron Keep ain't one of those.
yes please, thats exactly what we need after valley of defilement/ blightown/gutter. give us another fucking swamp arena so people can complain about lack of creativity and fucking deja vu.

- There is no location which leads to more than one exit and the amount of dead ends is really annoying. Overall DaS1 world design is head and shoulders above this crap and even the retarded cousin DaS2 is better than this.

high wall of lothric leads to 3 different locations. Road of sacrifice leads to two other locations same with catacombs of carthus and irithil.
Disregarding the fact that some weapons are OP and you can simply stun and kill a mob before he can react, the thing is you never know what will happen when you encounter a mob.

This bullshit is more pregnant when dealing with the bosses: it happened more than once that I died because suddenly the boss decided to perform a combo out of his ass. Yeah, I know I suck cause I cannot predict the future but I need to live like this.

some weapons are Op and make most of the encounters trivial? :retarded: is this your first Souls games or what? they are full of that shit. let me remind you of zweihander and drake sword in DS1 or crescent falchion in DeS.
Boss does shitty combo out of his ass? Its not like Artorias never gets stuck in his spinning shit attack patterns or Ceaseless Discharge spamming his shitty AoE. You sound like you got butthurt cause you cant circle-strafe bosses anymore once you learned their easily foreseeable patterns and now have to react on the fly to their moves.

Special credits to the Nameless Cretin boss: half of the fight is with controlling the camera. I actually had him teleport out of the camera and then kill me in one hit without any chance of dodging. Cause the fucking AI knows when you are low on HP or stamina.

learn2play unlocked faggit :dance:

PvP is shit agreed. Better than DS1 but worse than DS2. Still DS2 needed about year, 10 patches, 3 dlcs and re-release to get to the point it is now.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

:retarded:
how is that teleporting? he is doing charge attack of the fucking stairs no wonder he "levitates" for a split second in the air. i could understand your complaints if that was instant teleport to backstab you like some pvp lagstabs bullshit but this? lol at dark knights instant attacks. they are slow as fuck unless you are blind and paraplegic. irithil outrider knights are faster than those slow ass darkwraiths.

bro you did not give DS3 second chance. You gave it 4 fucking chances :lol: Why put up to 175 hours if game was known to be shit after like second playthrough? Just 1162 more and you will be at Celerity level :M

so half of the game locations are cool while other half is mediocre or shit? Sounds like every other game in the franchise

:retarded: actually this is the most consistent thematically world next to BB. Which is also its weakness without unique locations like Dragons Aerie or Shrine of Amana or even Blightown.

That sounds exactly like DS2 vanilla not DS3. You think or you are certain? Aside from Dragon Slayers Armor/ Grand archives double bonfire i dont remember any jarring bonfire placement. Cathedral of the deep has single bonfire same with Irithil Dungeon/most of the profaned capital.

yes please, thats exactly what we need after valley of defilement/ blightown/gutter. give us another fucking swamp arena so people can complain about lack of creativity and fucking deja vu.

high wall of lothric leads to 3 different locations. Road of sacrifice leads to two other locations same with catacombs of carthus and irithil.

some weapons are Op and make most of the encounters trivial? :retarded: is this your first Souls games or what? they are full of that shit. let me remind you of zweihander and drake sword in DS1 or crescent falchion in DeS.
Boss does shitty combo out of his ass? Its not like Artorias never gets stuck in his spinning shit attack patterns or Ceaseless Discharge spamming his shitty AoE. You sound like you got butthurt cause you cant circle-strafe bosses anymore once you learned their easily foreseeable patterns and now have to react on the fly to their moves.

learn2play unlocked faggit :dance:

PvP is shit agreed. Better than DS1 but worse than DS2. Still DS2 needed about year, 10 patches, 3 dlcs and re-release to get to the point it is now.

You do realize that your wall of text is useless !? Cause in the end: PvP is all that matters. It's the only thing that prolongs the game's life beyond a couple of runs. Also objectively speaking it doesn't matter that DaS and DaS2 were worse in some regards. Pointless arguments.

As for the reason why I've played the game so many times: I wanted to try different builds and check everything the game has to offer. I spent more than 30 hours in pvp with mixed results. Anyway you probably missed the line where I said that I think the game is good but a step back from its predecessors.

The game would be an absolute blast if they would put poise back in, tone down the artificial difficulty bullshit and fix the hitboxes. I don't think I'm asking for impossible things.

praetor

Arcane
Just finished the 4th complete play-though.

Before I rant about some shit, I just want to say that I really *REALLY* wanted to give this game a second chance. And to be honest, it has ups and downs but after 175+ hours spent on it my impression is that this is the weakest DaS game.

Angkor+wat_c3b5de_5504823.jpg

anyway, i agree that the game is really lacklustre, both in PvE (it's just... boring, thanks to the faster pace, OP roll and overreliance on "stunlock to death enemy before it stunlocks you", and as Cowboy excellently observed, the totally safe environments which pretty much never factor in a combat situation. oh, and the super-linear gameworld which is as antithetical to Souls as it can possibly get without being a modern AAA corridor) and particularly the PvP is all kinds of wrong (mainly thanks to what is probably the worst balance in a Souls game to date, the crappy pace). i finished 2 complete playthroughs (pure str and dex with some pyro) and stopped midway through the 3rd (magic, stopped after sully mcfartpants) and probably won't touch the game again until the DLCs come out, but i think a lot of your reasons are complete bullshit

other than the awfully designed cheapass black puss monsters, the crocodogs, chainaxe serpentmen and outrider knights, which give the DaS2 flame salamanders a run for their money, there's not much (if any) shit that's (at least significantly) cheaper than in previous games. homing attacks and infinite stamina mobs in particular are something that has been in the series ever since DeS (the latter is not as noticeable because every fucking mob in DeS and DaS1 has the same attack patters with a 1-hit attack or the usual 3-hit combo with exactly 0 variation). most certainly nothing (other than the 4 previously mentioned) out of the ordinary that would qualify as "artificial difficulty" (do you even know the meaning of the phrase?)

TNK is one of the best designed bosses in the series, period. he has 2 phases that actually make sense, the 1st of which is an okay "souls dragon fight" while the 2nd is in the top 3 single humanoid fights in the series, high damage but attacks with long enough windups that they always leave you time to think about dodging (and yet the damage is high enough that fuckups will cost you dearly without one-shotting you), the varied moveset (although i would've liked it more if his combos were a bit less predicable) with pretty much 0 bullshit moves, not to mention about the buildup with the whole bell ringing thing and all his statues in the area, the visual presentation, the unique arena, the intro, the phase 2 cutscene, the lore that greatly enhance a very well designed boss (mechanically). i think i'd still give a slight edge to Champion Gundyr on mechanics alone, but overall TNK is imo by far the best boss in the game (as a complete package)

Souls combat is supposed to be "complex"?! in what universe? it's fun because it's simple and well designed with a great "feel", but "complex"? lol

then the most idiotic (by far) thing in your post: you do invasions and then cry that you encounter players with summons and players who heal?! are you fucking retarded? serious question, bro! if you want no-heal duels then use the areas which are used for no-heal duels. stop with this bullshit "omg he healed! omg he had summons" faggotry. it's retarded at best

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yeah, except Aldrich will still use homing arrows at point blank in his 2nd stage. I think I died about 20 times to him exactly because he is fucking RNG piece of shit, until I figured out his triggers and baited his melee attacks consistently. Jesus christ that fight man
The dude in the video even says "almost always uses melee".

Personally, I think aldrich would have been a really cool and amazing fight if it weren't for his second phase arrows. They drag the whole thing down to shitlevel, basically impossible to deal with that attack.
I've never used the zwei, but the drake sword is pretty bad after the early game ds1 (no stat scaling and rare upgrade materials). If you actually wanted to present an op weapon, you should have mentioned the black knight weapons. Of course, those were all rare drops from non respawning and hard enemies early in the game. Nothing in any prior DS game compares to the Raw Astora Straigth Sword. It makes the previous contender (the fire longsword at start of DS2) seem balanced by comparison. And I already complained about that then. But at least the fire longsword was nothing special in the long run.

Mozg

Arcane
In DS2 (and SotFS even more so, since they moved up the infusion ember) you get any weapon you want +10'd out like an hour and a half into the game, it's basically like a Drake Sword/BKW/fire weapon in DS1 that no one would ever fail to find on their first playthrough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom