Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Perkel

Arcane
so.. remember how a few pages back Juutas tested poise and found it affected roll recovery frames? well, it seems he was wrong and poise actually does fuck all. lol

looks like it is next Agility. People for 2 months didn't know what it did until someone find out.
There are 3 possibilities:

- bug. It is switched off
- late in dev they scraped poise because they introduced hyperpoise for attacks
- it does something but needs more research into that.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
What's the deal with Luck being back in the stats pool btw, is it really only about loot chance ? Is there some secret things in the game that only unlock at X luck ?
It looks like they were like "well every game has his useless stat, let's just bring luck back for extra demon's souls nostal-credits".

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Luck is actually the speedrunning damage stat of choice at the moment.

Catacombs and New Londor, to name them both

ftfy. Blighttown is, by no means, a late-game area. You can clear Blighttown with the starting gear of most classes.

And it's actually a bad example, because the catacombs have a magical barrier while new londo requires artorias' covenant. So you can go there, technically, but you won't be able to reach the end because magic and shit. So it's actually not that open.

Demon's Souls was pretty open-ended. The only place you couldn't go was past the tower knight, but it only required one major demon's soul to unlock 1-3. You can actually skip 3 whole worlds out of the 4 optional ones. Still the most open-ended of the series by far.

You can clear the whole game with the starting gear of most classes, so that's not indicative of anything. Stuff in Blighttown (much like skeletons in the cemetery) has much higher health and damage than entry level enemies in Undead Burg, though, and new players usually understand pretty clearly that they found a higher level area if they happen to wander in there early.

Your argument about DeS is really dumb though. You can literally clear the entirety of New Londo with the sole exception of the 4Kings fight, which needs the ring from Sif, and you can clear the entirety of Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants, with the sole exception of the Nito bossfight, without any requirements. Meanwhile, there's no way at all to go into 3-2 without first clearing 3-1, or 5-3 without doing the previous stages, which is what walking into an endgame area would mean in DeS. In fact, the only proper (in terms of difficulty) endgame area in DeS is 1-4, which is gated much like 4Kings is (though not as much as other Lordvessel bosses).

And don't you have to clear all the worlds in order to get to the ending in DeS? That's what I always though, and the wiki agrees.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
So you can go full STR LCK and wield poisonous great swords. Does the poison meter depend on the weapon wielded ? Otherwise it's pointless to wield anything but fast weapons.

And don't you have to clear all the worlds in order to get to the ending in DeS? That's what I always though, and the wiki agrees.

If the wiki says so. I thought you'd only need one world clear'd so you can keep on in Boletaria.
I get what you mean regarding late game and stuff.

Bradylama

Arcane
What's the deal with Luck being back in the stats pool btw, is it really only about loot chance ? Is there some secret things in the game that only unlock at X luck ?
It looks like they were like "well every game has his useless stat, let's just bring luck back for extra demon's souls nostal-credits".

Luck boosts bleed and poison stat damage, and if you infuse your weapon with a Hollow gem, it adds damage scaling according to Luck as well. So Luck is actually a really good stat, but only if you design your whole build around it. Luck-based bleed builds are really nasty in pvp.

Perkel

Arcane

Luck boosts bleed and poison stat damage, and if you infuse your weapon with a Hollow gem, it adds damage scaling according to Luck as well. So Luck is actually a really good stat, but only if you design your whole build around it. Luck-based bleed builds are really nasty in pvp.

It doesn't add damage. It changes how quickly poison/bleed builds up. It adds damage only if you go hollow weapons.

Bradylama

Arcane
What I mean by stat damage is the actual damage to the stat, not the damage received from reaching the critical point.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also, any tips on the two croco/wolf hybrids down where the covenant is? They rape me everytime I try to fight them as I cant see shit..

Pull 1 by 1, bait them to use their charge attacks and roll back to avoid that. If you are successful you can hit their heads 2-3 times which is enough to put them in a critical state, stab them in the belly !
If its still kicking try to kill with ranged attacks while its on the ground.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Man its fun to use big weapons in pvp and send motherfuckers flying :D people are so used to see opponents with shield and a normal straight sword. Just a bit timing and stamina control and enemies stand little chance. Still using that black knight greatsword. I win 7/10 invasions which is good enough for me. I get killed mostly by lag and phantom hits in PvP. Honestly PvP in 70-80 levelrange is so much better.

I also dont understand where the notion comes from that big weapons are useless in pvp/pve. They are not

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Just a bit timing and stamina control and enemies stand little chance.

Between players on the same level the one with a big weapon will almost always win. In PvP hyperarmour is unbeatable.

I am not using the hyperarmor attacks much as its too risky imo, I rather take advantage of the big range I have and punish mistakes. If it works for you its cool, but I would rather have my normal poise back :)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just a bit timing and stamina control and enemies stand little chance.

Between players on the same level the one with a big weapon will almost always win. In PvP hyperarmour is unbeatable.

I am not using the hyperarmor attacks much as its too risky imo, I rather take advantage of the big range I have and punish mistakes. If it works for you its cool, but I would rather have my normal poise back :)

Oh no doubt about that, no poise is the biggest fuckup of this game.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Slow weapons are definitely worse in PvE, as they come with no benefits other than more range, which is not that useful given the enemy design in DS3, and with a huge con of being able to get stunned out of most animations by a guy with a toothpick. From simple experience, the game is much easier and feels a lot better (as in, the intended experience) with a straight sword compared to a UGS.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Slow weapons are definitely worse in PvE, as they come with no benefits other than more range, which is not that useful given the enemy design in DS3, and with a huge con of being able to get stunned out of most animations by a guy with a toothpick. From simple experience, the game is much easier and feels a lot better (as in, the intended experience) with a straight sword compared to a UGS.

Aside from huge beasts like the crocos I mentioned earlier that block the viewport its not hard to keep your distance. Granted I still roll around like a madman :/

Perkel

Arcane

Definetely not true. Playing with zweihander and most of my attacks do a) shitload of damage b) huge stun window. If something goes wrong roll and attacks from roll which thanks to heavy armor has almost 0 chance of being stunned.

Playing also as Blue Sentinel (who said it doesn't work ? I get summoned constantly as in can't play game with that banner switched on). Damage from roll and attack is brutal and due to how range works in pvp i usually do damage regardless of someone does roll away or not.

I think biggest + of DS3 compared to all other games in therm of combat is charged R2 attack.

You wouldn't believe how this shit is effective in pvp. Start attack hold on. Dude rolls, Release when he is mid roll. Watch him get hit. And since it is R2 it does ton of damage + ton of stun.

For PVE it also works due to that huge stun damage and ton of weapons will outright flatten monsters.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
The notion comes from the fact that you could parry Ultra Greatweapons 2 handed attacks in DS1.

is there a single boss in Souls games that wasnt beaten in "Sl1 Ng+7 no healing no damage" run? I think someone even managed to do that with Lud&Zallen:salute:

Murk

Arcane
Nashandra ;D

(actually, you could probably kill the curse/damage orbs with a bow n arrow)

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
is there a single boss in Souls games that wasnt beaten in "Sl1 Ng+7 no healing no damage" run? I think someone even managed to do that with Lud&Zallen:salute:

Every boss in 1&2 has been beaten in:
SL1, cursed, no healing, no shield, aggression mod, perma Gravelord, no armour, no spells, no RoFaP, no items at once
which basically means everything kills you while you only have a weapon an sl1 char can carry.

DS1 All bosses has been beaten with fists only, fists do 1-3 dmg in ds1.... Yes someone beat Kalameet for hours and hours to kill him.

Murk

Arcane
lobos did a "equip thorn armor and roll into enemies to kill them" run

like, i think some people are just dead inside and they are willing to suffer so that we don't have to

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom