Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dark Souls 2 Announced, Coming to PC

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope they will do a good job with the port this time around.

This. A vanilla version is horrible, and even after playing with mods the kb+m controls really are frustrating from time to time. I really liked Severance, but for know I will just give it a rest, and maybe start from the beginning with new character. As for now there is only hope for a decent port of the second part. Without needing a x-box pad.

Also, Dark Souls is overhyped here :troll:

St. Toxic

Arcane
Maybe the problem lies in the label? Because, hey, it's certainly a shitty RPG. The good bits are all in the action, environments, weapons, opponents and other traditionally non-rpg elements. So it has some flavor c&c, so there's some one-way npc interaction, so there are skills and spells to level up -- but that's hardly the game-defining bits. DS is a closer kin to Castlevania than it is to Fallout or even Diablo (which is another shitty 'non'-rpg).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You can change the label but then we get into these philosophical debates à la "Is PS:T an RPG or an adventure game with stats?", "Deus Ex - RPG or FPS / RPG hybrid or FPS with RPG elements?", "Is System Shock 2 an RPG and why? Discuss!" which then lead to page-long musings about what an RPG really is.

So maybe we can just go with "Fuck genres! Good games are good games and you should play them, if you like games." and leave it at that before the wheel of fate spins once more and history repeats itself. Again.

St. Toxic

Arcane
You can change the label but then we get into these philosophical debates à la "Is PS:T an RPG or an adventure game with stats?", "Deus Ex - RPG or FPS / RPG hybrid or FPS with RPG elements?", "Is System Shock 2 an RPG and why? Discuss!" which then lead to page-long musings about what an RPG really is.

Good, needs to be done from time to time.

LivingOne

Savant
I don't,played it for about an hour and stopped.And it's true that PST and Fallout don't have such great gameplay,I thought we all agreed they have other strenghts.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ok, I'll tell you what I thought of the game.

Tactical real time combat where you have to actively watch both your opponents and the environment. While this is definitely NOT everyone's cup of tea, it was well done and balanced risk versus reward.

A lot of exploration with rewards and dangers around every corner.

A (twisted) sense of humor.

A game that punishes recklessness and arrogance.

Lots of stats and gear to level up.

Some areas with amazing atmosphere.

A unique world where you are an undead with no memory or concept of your previous, life or of the new world before you.

Rewarding boss fights.

A pretty crazy and harsh multiplayer system.

I fully appreciate that this is not for everyone. I prematurely wrote it off as well, but I am thankful Justin cherry and josh sawyer talked me in to playing it. It was a very rewarding experience.

One could say the same about Gothic, minus the obvious multiplayer and undead parts. And maybe not so many stats. But the rest stands.

Have you played it?

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
When I heard the news, I exclaimed a resounding
:yeah:
but then I started reading about it, and found the worrying facts that Miyazaki is no longer project lead, and that they are planning to make the game "more accessible".

Depending on what they mean exactly, it can be a thing of little consequence, or a disaster for the series. I remain cautiously optimistic for now.

Xi

Arcane
I'm late to this party, but this is the only game I am looking forward too.(And of course, project eternity - and for shit's and giggles south park RPG - and because it's coming out on Thursday, Age of Decadence)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom