Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Envoy - guns n' sorcery RTwP RPG by Tower of Time developer

notpl

Arbiter
Looks like they made the enemy warrior dude an invincible juggernaut just to show off spells. But that has the effect of making the warrior way cooler than some caster with a limp noodle.

Spells are not just elemental arrows/bullets. Magic should be devastating but have drawbacks. Considering just adding a heartstopper spell to my next game.
Why "should" magic be any one specific way?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Looks like they made the enemy warrior dude an invincible juggernaut just to show off spells. But that has the effect of making the warrior way cooler than some caster with a limp noodle.

Spells are not just elemental arrows/bullets. Magic should be devastating but have drawbacks. Considering just adding a heartstopper spell to my next game.

Just my personal preference I suppose. It's mostly a convenience of balance to have magic just be shooty shooty 1d8 fire damage. I would probably appreciate more esoteric use of magic in RPGs.

Magic that has unexpected consequences, or ritualized, something similar to how magic works in folktales or older fantasy stories.

Which is something I'm considering for my games.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Just my personal preference I suppose. It's mostly a convenience of balance to have magic just be shooty shooty 1d8 fire damage. I would probably appreciate more esoteric use of magic in RPGs.

Magic that has unexpected consequences, or ritualized, something similar to how magic works in folktales or older fantasy stories.

I agree with you, magic should be powerful and spectacular, at some extra cost - like running around like a lunatic in an undignified manner with your robes hitched up :)

Skorpion

Educated

Dude if you put as much effort into game creation as you did time and effort into this forum you would be running a production company. Who the fuck do you think your fooling?
Amazing ideas, beautiful design... constant whining.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dude if you put as much effort into game creation as you did time and effort into this forum you would be running a production company
Why would anyone want to put time and effort into a production company?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/945770/view/6027549530030628083

Join us at TactiCon
Celebrating tactical video games on Steam

We have some exciting news to share with you! Dark Envoy has been selected as one of the featured games at TactiCon, a digital convention on Steam that celebrates strategy video games. We are honored to be part of this festival that highlights the brilliant and creative minds behind tactical games and gathers players who love them.

TactiCon will also feature panels and talks by passionate developers and publishers:

May 18th at 10AM PT: "Developing Strategies for Strategy Games"
May 19th at 12PM PT: "The Art of Tactics"
May 20th at 2PM PT: "Building Worlds with Narrative and Gameplay"

As always, thank you for your unwavering support, and we cannot wait for you to experience Dark Envoy!

The Dark Envoy Dev Team.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Dark Envoy News
Check our development update

️ Hey there, Fellow Travelers of the Dark Envoy world! ️

We just wanted to drop in and give you all a shout-out from the heart. We hope you've been keeping those adventurer spirits high, 'cause we've got some exciting news to share!

CONTENT LOCK

You know we're all about keeping it real and focused on delivering the game but we're stoked to let you in on a little secret: in two weeks we'll have Dark Envoy's content lock, and we're getting ready for the big show this autumn.

DEVELOPMENT PROGRESS

We have prepared for you more insights for the upcoming weeks, but today is Screenshot Saturday and we wanted to share with you a couple of captures from the current state of the game. You’ll find more on our Discord

f90bca8568d31548c6abf033559a21597841cbee.png

7861c7d5627d33617da47919324ea9010890ef0f.png

0035f91c074ed2d8821b505e62e889603f502593.png

BETA ACCESS

That's not all. Your feedback has always been incredibly helpful, especially on the demo, and we couldn't be more grateful for your support. So, mark your calendars, 'cause we've got some beta access in the works for late August. We hope you'll help us fine-tune Dark Envoy into the incredible RPG experience!

GAMESCOM

Also in August we're gonna be at Gamescom! Woohoo! We’ll be a part of the Indie Arena Booth so, if you're around, swing by and say hi—we'd love to hang out and chat all things Dark Envoy!

Thanks again for believing in us!

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Dark Envoy News
Check our development update

️ Hey there, Fellow Travelers of the Dark Envoy world! ️

We just wanted to drop in and give you all a shout-out from the heart. We hope you've been keeping those adventurer spirits high, 'cause we've got some exciting news to share!

CONTENT LOCK

You know we're all about keeping it real and focused on delivering the game but we're stoked to let you in on a little secret: in two weeks we'll have Dark Envoy's content lock, and we're getting ready for the big show this autumn.

DEVELOPMENT PROGRESS

We have prepared for you more insights for the upcoming weeks, but today is Screenshot Saturday and we wanted to share with you a couple of captures from the current state of the game. You’ll find more on our Discord

f90bca8568d31548c6abf033559a21597841cbee.png

7861c7d5627d33617da47919324ea9010890ef0f.png

0035f91c074ed2d8821b505e62e889603f502593.png

BETA ACCESS

That's not all. Your feedback has always been incredibly helpful, especially on the demo, and we couldn't be more grateful for your support. So, mark your calendars, 'cause we've got some beta access in the works for late August. We hope you'll help us fine-tune Dark Envoy into the incredible RPG experience!

GAMESCOM

Also in August we're gonna be at Gamescom! Woohoo! We’ll be a part of the Indie Arena Booth so, if you're around, swing by and say hi—we'd love to hang out and chat all things Dark Envoy!

Thanks again for believing in us!
So final release early next year then?

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Unveiling the Hand-Drawn Skills in Dark Envoy
Today we wanted to show you a sneak peek into the realm of hand-drawn skills that are about to spice up your tactical gameplay!

In Dark Envoy, hand-drawn skills introduce a unique and captivating mechanic that empowers players to unleash their creativity and tactical prowess. Unlike traditional preset skills, hand-drawn skills allow you to literally draw the path and shape of your abilities, providing a level of control and flexibility that is both engaging and innovative.

Here's how it works: Select the skill and sketch the trajectory or area of effect using your mouse. That’s all. Your drawn path determines how the skill behaves and interacts with the environment and enemies.

6d85dc5770f982cb150962ab502b96dda08042b1.gif

For instance, the "High Wall" skill for the Warrior class lets you create a formidable barrier anywhere you desire, effectively blocking enemy movement and line of sight. On the other hand, the 'Firewall' skill, which belongs to the Adept class, empowers you to unleash a torrent of flames along a drawn shape. This fiery barrier inflicts damage to any foes caught in its path.

05bd92d9209e994daec310856ac23ca1a2855f55.gif

High Wall
Class: Warrior
Create a formidable High Wall along a 10/12/14m path, obstructing movement and line of sight.
Duration: 10 seconds

Fire Wall
Class: Adept
Summon the inferno and unleash the mighty Fire Wall—a blazing barrier that spans up to 12 meters.
Duration: 12 seconds

Different classes and specializations offer various hand-drawn skills, each with its own strategic advantages and tactical applications. As you progress and hone your abilities, you'll discover creative ways to outmaneuver your enemies and approach encounters with cunning precision.

With hand-drawn skills, Dark Envoy breaks traditional boundaries, empowering you to shape your destiny and tailor your combat approach in a new way. So, ready your drawing hand, and let your tactics come to life!

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Find out more about classes and specializations in Dark Envoy
Today we want to tell you more about classes in Dark Envoy. You can choose from 4 classes and 12 specializations for Malakai and Kaela. But that's not all! You can team up with 6 amazing companions, each bringing their own set of skills to the table, granting you a plethora of party composition options!

Curious to see it all in action? Check out our recent video update

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
The Harmonious Blend of Magic and Technology
Welcome to the realm of Jäan, a world that shares familiar threads with our own, yet is woven with the touch of arcane wonders and the marvels of advancement.

Within the heart of Jäan resides a delicate equilibrium between two contrasting powers: magic and technology. In the backdrop of medieval fantasy, the League's territories find themselves entangled in the evolving currents of technology. Picture a world where technology stands tall as a contender against the dominion of magic. The Empire, driven by the desire to match the League's mystical might, embarked on a technological journey, sparking a rivalry that fueled the flames of war. Beneath this intricate tale lies the lurking influence of an ominous force, casting shadows over all.

41d2898ea4d26bf38bc2f7442b8120237eddfaad.gif

Jäan reveals two distinct magical facets: innate magic interwoven into the very fabric of the planet, and enigmatic chaos magic, whose origins remain a mystery for now. This chaos magic, deceptively unassuming, nurtures an insatiable hunger for dominance, and succumbing to its charms can lead to destruction. This subtle divergence weaves the destiny of Jäan.

As we traverse Jäan's diverse landscapes, stark contrasts emerge. Vast deserts sprawl, bearing the whispers of civilizations long-lost to the annals of time. Amidst this harsh expanse, pockets of life thrive in settlements dedicated to trade and exploration.

358008431facd0f47ff39292dc536215901a1da5.gif

Brace yourself for encounters with scorpions, marauding bandits, and the enigmatic riddles hidden beneath the shifting desert dunes. Venture into the grandeur of majestic temples and awe-inspiring laboratories. These sites are a dance of enlightenment and peril, where scavenger tales mingle with whispers of dormant creations, waiting to challenge the mettle of those who tread upon their sacred soil.

e1ed39c2d894d0dbd3c95f790706b4c63ff59877.gif

Discover the mysteries unfurled by Jäan's lush forests and enigmatic swamps. Here, native magic courses through every leaf and branch, weaving a captivating tapestry that masks the lurking presence of predators. Amidst the beauty lies caution, reminding us to tread carefully and remain vigilant, as danger often accompanies enchantment.

d355ecbc2a83ec7243562e3dc7048bdbd9fa3965.gif

Intrigued? Ready to set forth on a journey through Jäan's realms, where both spells and steel forge a path of adventure that you won't soon forget.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Dude if you put as much effort into game creation as you did time and effort into this forum you would be running a production company. Who the fuck do you think your fooling?
Amazing ideas, beautiful design... constant whining.

Huh, completely missed this.

I'm on this forum while I'm working. So whenever I'm here, I'm working on a game.

At least I'm glad someone thinks I have amazing ideas. Maybe one of these days they'll translate to money so I'm not povertydev anymore.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Delighted to present a selection of tracks from the upcoming RPG, Dark Envoy, masterfully composed by Dawid Majewski. This musical collection offers a fusion of epic instrumental combat melodies that will set your adrenaline racing, along with mellower tracks ideal for chilling out.

Accompanying these tracks are the illustrations that provide a glimpse into the narrative, set in a world where the forces of technology (the Human Empire) clash with the magic (the League of Old Races).

Tracks:
00:00 - 01:54 1
01:54 - 04:20 2
04:20 - 06:19 3
06:19 - 08:58 4
08:58 - 11:03 5
11:03 - 13:22 6
13:22 - 16:08 7
16:08 - 18:34 8
18:34 - 20:39 9
20:39 - 23:45 10
23:45 - 25:53 11
25:54 - 28:15 12
28:15 - 30:28 13
30:28 - 32:54 14
32:54 - 35:50 15
35:50 - 38:00 16

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Summoner - Class Preview
Take a closer look at one of the adept specializations.
Summoner
is a druid-like Adept who uses their bond with spirits to summon them onto the battlefield and has a strong link with the destructive power of nature. As a last resort, they can become a living vessel, turning their body into a mighty colossus. We are pleased to present you with 3 out of the 6 active skills that the Summoner has, giving you a glimpse of how different Dark Envoy aims to be compared to other RPGs.

12e7ebc17cbe9a1bc6e3d4a617658771b3a9a233.png

Tree of Atonement
01bf7fb58539f7873ed46f91244fbf7fea31600c.gif

Living Vines
3f8fd658def66a487f48b86c9cf542d7b815bf09.gif

Call of the Wild
9d78573b7ac7275ce3edcdf0847e4733974f5425.gif

The skills mentioned above are just a small portion of what a Summoner is capable of. There are 3 more active abilities and 4 passive abilities. The Summoner is a valuable addition to any party, serving as a highly versatile support, damage dealer, or tank/off-tank (via its summons).

With 4 Base Classes and 12 Specializations, each having its own set of unique active and passive skills, there is truly no limit to how you can play. You could even say that this is a 'sandboxy' RPG from the perspective of available mechanics and systems.

Playtests via Discord
And if you're interested in
trying out the current version of the game
and helping us with balancing the combat, please join our Discord. We'll be happy to share access to the private build. - drop a msg on #playest-access. At some point before the launch, access to the preview/demo version will no longer be available.

You can join our discord by using this link: DISCORD

Hope you like it!
The Dark Envoy team ️✨

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Assassin - Class Preview
I strike from the shadows
Assassin
is an elusive shadow master who is prepared to devastate their mark with a flurry of strikes. Using deception and tricks, they cause confusion among their foes and avoid punishment. We present you with 3 out of the 6 active skills that the Assassin has, giving you a taste of their formidable abilities and making you eager to explore the rest of their deadly arsenal.

6ef5f201ce3e009a738e50ae5030ae3fb1ad3e68.png

Shadow Cloak
5e27615e131e5a0e38885d09ae01fb5e3d9ae9cc.gif

Tether Rod
25885e88764ea21de389a766da7a95a345607f0a.gif

Slaughter
fb2510485034f614ab1a7e84f80d6d873245a6f2.gif

The showcased abilities only scratch the surface of the Assassin's capabilities. With three additional active skills and four passive abilities in their arsenal, the Assassin excels at establishing area control before combat begins. Once it does, the Assassin can snipe out strong ranged DPS (damage per second) before reentering shadows. Invisibility does not break on certain skills, allowing for a flexible approach to how the Assassin can be played. It's not the only class with Invisibility, so you can have more classess in the party that can wreak unparalleled mayhem on unsuspecting enemies.

Featuring 4 Base Classes and 12 Specializations, each equipped with their distinct array of active and passive skills, your possibilities for gameplay are virtually boundless. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to describe this RPG as 'sandbox-like' when considering the breadth of available mechanics and systems.

Dark Envoy Price
Dark Envoy price is set at: $29.99 €28.99 £24.99

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Enemies
ef0397888d44c6d2acdf6182ea00c430bad1bd77.png

In the world of Dark Envoy, the Empire and League factions, along with the monsters of mysterious origin called Hybrids, will present players with unceasing challenges. Each of these adversaries brings its own blend of strengths and strategies, ensuring that players must adapt and devise innovative tactics as they embark on their adventures. These are but a few examples of enemy families you will encounter, each with distinctive units, skills, and behaviors.

Empire
The Empire faction stands as a formidable force with its array of robots and heavily armored human units. Their mastery lies in harnessing the destructive power of electric and fire-based damage, making them a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield. However, be cautious when engaging the Empire, as they employ blinding grenades and stunning skills to outmaneuver their adversaries. A particularly explosive twist is their robots, which detonate upon destruction.

10b6cea1e302ac5cf034b758f20c361e91fbea2c.jpg

League
Within the League faction, a blend of Elementals and agile units represents the three races of Krannites, Shadows, and Elves. These warriors rely on Poison and Cold damage, with the added intrigue of being able to summon elementals that represent a diverse range of elemental forces. Their speed and agility are matched only by their cunning, making it vital to stay vigilant against melee units that can quickly close the distance with dashes and deliver swift attacks. Among the League, the druids take on the critical roles of healers and supporters, providing aid to their fellow units from a distance.

5764302a1d2145a9c8fff4e1acdb0b755697bf60.jpg

Hybrids
The enigmatic Hybrids have recently emerged throughout the land of Jaan, shrouded in mystery and uncertainty about their origins. These creatures wield a unique and potent weapon—chaos damage, which bypasses the armor of their enemies. What sets them apart is their ability to devolve into weaker forms when vanquished, eventually giving rise to two Crawlers. Careful and methodical elimination of these creatures, one by one, is imperative, as failure to do so may lead to a swift.

4f83273f5145bc415dcad923874a383bd66f0299.jpg

AI
Of course, none of the above enemies would pose a threat without refined AI. In Dark Envoy, the game's artificial intelligence operates with a tactical approach. Ranged units strategically seek optimal positioning, taking cover and using repositioning skills as needed. Both ranged and melee units utilize these skills, either to retreat and take cover or to engage the enemy, depending on the circumstances. The AI employs a threat assessment system to prioritize its targets, focusing on characters deemed the most significant threat based on factors like distance and damage output.

Furthermore, the AI uses a sophisticated communication system to coordinate actions among units. Units in need can request support, such as healing or buffs, while units nearby that possess the necessary abilities respond to these requests. Additionally, the AI strategically employs area-of-effect (AOE) skills, ensuring they cover as many units as possible to maximize damage, all while considering resistances and character armor. This discourages grouping party together, adding depth to the game's tactical challenges.

114cd834d82b05ea2a110fefe0c8f169850826ac.gif

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Meet Vasso, adept with combat medic specialization. Her inclination to avoid conflict often defies the tales that swirl around her.

F840qPbWAAAuFuR

Meet one more companion, Leon. He is a remarkable engineer with a Constructor specialization and an unwavering desire to make the world a better place.
F8paHWubEAA6E2f

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Female medic using staff has almost twice dps mainhand than male constructor using rifle. How come?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom