Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark and darker

Codex Year of the Donut
looks like shit tbh

Turn_BASED

Educated
Game’s fun but Rangers are still super OP. After grinding solo for awhile it makes me want a PvE mode.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
so you can pick a bard and advance forward by playing memes?

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
I had my eyes on this for a while and now that I have played it for a couple of hours, I have to say it's actually really fun.
It has all the tension of classic dungeon crawling packed into a battle royale game. The mode is well thought out but I feel it is a bit unfortunate because at the end of the match it necessarily turns into a PvP situation, while fighting over the escape portals. I would prefer it if there was at least a small incentive for players to work together and only potentially betray each other for greater loot. IIRC the online mode of Kane & Lynch 2 did this very well, where a team of robbers had to carry a briefcase to an escape vehicle. If they escaped together they'd share the reward, if one player escapes on his own, he gets the whole reward for himself.
Dark and Darker could maybe do a similar thing with the help of Ultima Online's "blue/gray/red player" concept. All players start out with the name over their heads displayed in blue. If a player attacks other players he is flagged as a criminal (gray name) - this wears off after a while. If a player kills another player he is flagged as a murderer (red name). Killing red players does not make a blue player red.
Dark and Darker could introduce a shared gold pool for blue and gray players that escape the dungeon, whereas red players get exactly what they carry in their inventory. For simplicity's sake, you could even drop the gray players.

Turn_BASED

Educated
I had my eyes on this for a while and now that I have played it for a couple of hours, I have to say it's actually really fun.
It has all the tension of classic dungeon crawling packed into a battle royale game. The mode is well thought out but I feel it is a bit unfortunate because at the end of the match it necessarily turns into a PvP situation, while fighting over the escape portals. I would prefer it if there was at least a small incentive for players to work together and only potentially betray each other for greater loot. IIRC the online mode of Kane & Lynch 2 did this very well, where a team of robbers had to carry a briefcase to an escape vehicle. If they escaped together they'd share the reward, if one player escapes on his own, he gets the whole reward for himself.
Dark and Darker could maybe do a similar thing with the help of Ultima Online's "blue/gray/red player" concept. All players start out with the name over their heads displayed in blue. If a player attacks other players he is flagged as a criminal (gray name) - this wears off after a while. If a player kills another player he is flagged as a murderer (red name). Killing red players does not make a blue player red.
Dark and Darker could introduce a shared gold pool for blue and gray players that escape the dungeon, whereas red players get exactly what they carry in their inventory. For simplicity's sake, you could even drop the gray players.
That’s a great idea, I like that way more than the current BR approach.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just checked the screenshots and the visuals are more than adequate IMO. But then I'm more than happy with EGA and C64 graphics if the gameplay is good...
I like it very much that the UI doesn't look consolised but like something you would expect in an RPG.

Otherwise, I don't care about online games at all...

Been playing this pretty heavily with a friend recently, unironically did not expect a fun little D&D PvPvE eurojank experience from Korea of all things.

I don't have high hopes for it in the future though, either the PvP community will ruin it by making the core meta gameplay some flist wrick shit like they did with Chivalry/Mordhau or the PvE+Solo community will convince the developers to fully focus on the "meh" at best PvE aspect for the average solo D&D experience.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
So it's like a medieval Escape from Tarkov? I've seen a few clips here and there and it really bothers me that everything has like a 3 second animation. Open a door? Wait for the bar to fill up. Loot a corpse? Wait for a bar to fill up.

Grubba

Arcane
Deactivating lurk mode to say that this game is pretty damn fun, just found out about it on Friday and put in some hours over the past couple days before the alpha test closed. All solo, mostly barbarian and rogue but also a bit of ranger and cleric, so my games were pretty slow and sneaky. Had a few memorable encounters but the best was probably taking out a rogue & wizard 2-man team with my vanilla cleric after they rolled up on me right after spawn.

Never played Tarkov or Hunt Showdown so this kind of game is new to me. There has to be more than just the gameplay loop of "extract with good loot to sell so you can buy better gear", right?

If I'm WotC/D&D, I'm looking at this and thinking, "Why aren't we doing something like this?"

Game’s fun but Rangers are still super OP. After grinding solo for awhile it makes me want a PvE mode.
if you pve, you are fodder for the pvpers who will just take what you have. if you pve, you are a chump.

So it's like a medieval Escape from Tarkov? I've seen a few clips here and there and it really bothers me that everything has like a 3 second animation. Open a door? Wait for the bar to fill up. Loot a corpse? Wait for a bar to fill up.
action speed is heavily class and gear dependant, a rogue with default gear will open a door in about 1.5-2 seconds whereas a barbarian or wizard will need several seconds. basically theres a bunch of classes that are in a bad state
Deactivating lurk mode to say that this game is pretty damn fun, just found out about it on Friday and put in some hours over the past couple days before the alpha test closed. All solo, mostly barbarian and rogue but also a bit of ranger and cleric, so my games were pretty slow and sneaky. Had a few memorable encounters but the best was probably taking out a rogue & wizard 2-man team with my vanilla cleric after they rolled up on me right after spawn.

Never played Tarkov or Hunt Showdown so this kind of game is new to me. There has to be more than just the gameplay loop of "extract with good loot to sell so you can buy better gear", right?

If I'm WotC/D&D, I'm looking at this and thinking, "Why aren't we doing something like this?"
i put maybe 70-80 hours into it this playtest, it's insanely addicting. your experience will vary a lot but going in solo is the most dangerous and nobody will be there to save your loot for you. going in fully kitted out you can kill people in 1-2 hits (or just be a barbarian) which makes it possible to quickly steamroll an entire lobby. if you play just for the loot you'll probably get bored, it's all about the excitement of pvp and taking other peoples items - there have also been real money tournaments

i've made a few videos of it

Last edited:

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
It's actually very fun, I like the slow combat with long winding.
Force you to use the shield after an attack, because you can't dodge fast enough from rebutal attack.

Force you to use the shield after an attack, because you can't dodge fast enough from rebutal attack.
you can actually game the system quite a bit, they'll probably change it sometime in the future since it allows you to bypass slowing mechanics, like so:

playing dnd has made it abundantly clear how boring and shitty other games are, something like escape from tarkov will never compare. it's just full of tedious shit :mad:

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
It was in Beta/Alpha. Playtesting is over.
There will be another playtesting in a few months maybe.
So you can't play it anyway, now.

Steve

Augur
you can actually game the system quite a bit, they'll probably change it sometime in the future since it allows you to bypass slowing mechanics, like so:

playing dnd has made it abundantly clear how boring and shitty other games are, something like escape from tarkov will never compare. it's just full of tedious shit :mad:

I think any "BR/Extraction game" benefits from relatively light systems, Tarkov is just way too fiddly, it takes forever to setup a new character in between games. Dying to some bullshit in Dark and darker never really bothered me because I could just be in a new game under a minute, just buy a few potions and you're all set.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Why suddenly the gay art?
1675425584946.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom