Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DAO and DA2 will have kids.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Actually, a Fallout game written by MCA where you play as a Super Mutant would be awesome.

President Eden: So, are you gonna fulfill my request? Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

PC: [Speech] But you're not right, so you're not.

President Eden: You're right...I give up. Initializing self-destruction sequence.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Actually, a Fallout game written by MCA
Last time when MCA wrote a Fallout game it had mafia, talking scorpions, chinese kung-fu clans and scientific tribals - are you sure you want this?

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
MetalCraze said:
Last time when MCA wrote a Fallout game it had mafia, talking scorpions, chinese kung-fu clans and scientific tribals - are you sure you want this?

I'll take exentric and fantastical anyday over shit thats "emotional" and "thought provoking" that passes onto as writing art in todays industry.

Captain Shrek

deus101 said:
MetalCraze said:

I'll take exentric and fantastical anyday over shit thats "emotional" and "thought provoking" that passes onto as writing art in todays industry.

You know what? You are absolutely right. I am going to bore you now with my angsty opinion. What has happened in recent years with video games, is exactly what happened to the broad field of arts in the last century. In the glory days, art was not just hurr durr human expression, but an actual rigorous field where quality was the aspect that shared its importance with creativity while determining the value of an artistic talent. We have murdered this rigorous quality through giving over-importance to so called humanity of the artists. This is also evident particularly in the rise of modern arts which can depict shit as beauty and call it cubism.

What you are seeing in games is the Philosophy version of this decline. The rigor in philosophy was contained in all three of its branches (Metaphysics, aesthetics and ethics), which has now been discarded by post-modernists (your Hamburger Helpers) in favor of issues that appeal to masses (romance, gender-ism, sexuality etc) also called Human interest. The direct product of this thinking is games like DA2 or novels like Twilight. These things actually existed even before the decline, but the competition was so tough due to availability of good products, that they were only supported by degenerates.

What you need to understand is that rigor => quality => effort that nobody wants to/ can take. And thus DA2.

MetalCraze

Arcane
deus101 said:

Except that's how Alpha Protocol is.

Chris Avellone is no better than Kojima really.

Micmu

Magister
Konjad said:
curry said:
Only an idiot would buy DA3 given the probability it's gonna suck.
I think it's gonna be good if it's stays similar to DA2.
I'm really hoping for that, too, so the shitty bioware trademark disappears for good. I'm sick and tired of you dumbskulls making topics about this irrelevant garbage.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
MetalCraze said:
deus101 said:

Except that's how Alpha Protocol is.

Chris Avellone is no better than Kojima really.

BUT YOU JUST BROUGHT UP FALLOUT 2!

(also never finished Alpha protocol beyond the tutorial level...i gotta learn to pirate my games, in my defence the fucking demo was released a DAY after i bought the shit from steam)

Damnit....this is gonna fuel your "hypocritical codexer" gettup isnt it?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Goddamn Bioware are the masters of doublespeak and bullshit PR.

The number of the reviews was... very polarized, awesomely so.

Yes, all those 60 and lower scores from actual gamers as opposed to paid off critics and Bio employees were totally awesome!

DA2 was a critical failure. And I think it was a commercial failure too. But the good doctors at Bioware keep talking as if none of this was true. It's like they think if they pretend really hard it will all just be a figment of their imagination. Bethesda doesn't have anything on this.

Gord

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
You know what? You are absolutely right. I am going to bore you now with my angsty opinion. What has happened in recent years with video games, is exactly what happened to the broad field of arts in the last century...

You seem to have a rather... simplistic understanding of arts in general.

Just the same one could argue that during the last century art was finally freed again from the rigor of aesthetic theory you seem to like so much.
Take painting. Why should artists continue to aspire painting lifelike if photography is much better at it? Why not try a different approach? That the results may be alienating to many is something you have to accept or maybe even actively aspire to do, I guess (but is at the same time in contrast to your proclaimed dictate of appealing to the masses).

And how did great works of art come to be in the past? They have been remittance work, usually paid for by the rich, anyway not meant to be shown to the masses (maybe with the exception of sacral art).

Btw. there has always been a "mass market" for the trivial and average. It's admittedly commercialized to a much higher degree now, though. Still, all this banal, shit, boring stuff from days gone is lost now, while what remains is whatever was deemed worthy enough, or was good enough for preservation. It will be just the same with whatever is produced now.

Captain Shrek

Gord said:
Captain Shrek said:
You know what? You are absolutely right. I am going to bore you now with my angsty opinion. What has happened in recent years with video games, is exactly what happened to the broad field of arts in the last century...

You seem to have a rather... simplistic understanding of arts in general.

Just the same one could argue that during the last century art was finally freed again from the rigor of aesthetic theory you seem to like so much.
Take painting. Why should artists continue to aspire painting lifelike if photography is much better at it? Why not try a different approach? That the results may be alienating to many is something you have to accept or maybe even actively aspire to do, I guess (but is at the same time in contrast to your proclaimed dictate of appealing to the masses).

And how did great works of art come to be in the past? They have been remittance work, usually paid for by the rich, anyway not meant to be shown to the masses (maybe with the exception of sacral art).

Btw. there has always been a "mass market" for the trivial and average. It's admittedly commercialized to a much higher degree now, though. Still, all this banal, shit, boring stuff from days gone is lost now, while what remains is whatever was deemed worthy enough, or was good enough for preservation. It will be just the same with whatever is produced now.

Sorry. My opinion on this issue is too complicated and long to discuss further on internet.

Gord

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
Sorry. My opinion on this issue is too complicated and long to discuss further on internet.

It was not my intention to offend you. And I agree that this is not the best place to discuss it.

Captain Shrek

Gord said:
Captain Shrek said:

It was not my intention to offend you. And I agree that this is not the best place to discuss it.

Since you are being nice, the distilled answer to your previous post is Call of Duty:MW2

Jaz

Educated
dcI.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom