Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dancing with StarCraft 2

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Interview ]</strong>

Blizzardian Dustin Browder <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5827/starcraft_ii_building_on_the_beta.php" target="_blank">spoke to Gamasutra</a> about the <strong>StarCraft 2</strong> beta.
<blockquote>I'd heard you actually tried to implement a Relic-style cover system, like in Company of Heroes or Dawn of War.

DB: We did actually try a cover system. We tried it frequently, and what it did to our game was prevent a lot of movement from happening on the battlefield. It slowed the game down. Players would move to cover and stop. The other player is like, "Can I get around it? Screw it. I'll just fight." Or, "I'll just build up." The game stagnated.

Our game is about dancing: advance, retreat, advance, using the choke point -- until, "Oh no, the enemy went air, the choke is useless!" It's about give and take. For our game, it was a disaster.

It wasn't a perfect cover system. We never got that far, but the early indications were very poor. A lot of players view RTS as a continuum: RTS was this, and now changes have been made, and now RTS must start from there. We don't view it that way.

We think each game has its own style and flavor. Each game has its own strengths and weaknesses. What works for us would never work for a Dawn of War, and what works for Dawn of War would never work for us. They're different games, and that's the way it should be.
</blockquote><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/">Gamasutra</a></p>

Angthoron

Arcane
Blizzard doesn't need to copy from others, they know that others will copy from them for years. And yeah, good call about no cover and sticking to their own style. More devs should try developing their styles.

Then again, Blizzard can afford their own style.

circ

Arcane
Their own style? What? Blizzard is built on copying other peoples ideas. They don't have an original bone in their body. They take no risks whatsoever, they just turn someone else's concept into a slick LCD property and market the hell out of it. They are the relatively bugfree and slick equivalent of Obsidian.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yes, basically, but there are underlying features that have been different from, say, C&C series and the likes. They do take concepts from other games, but only to the point that suits their overall direction. It works relatively well I guess, no point of taking features that would make Starcraft into something completely else.

Ryuken

Liturgist
CrusaderTemplar said:
Good. Games need to be their own style and not a copy of another that's popular.
Indeed, the same own style from more than 10 years ago. Nobody asked them to copy from recent RTSs (or even old RTSs which tried new things before StarCraft 1 came out); cover ain't sacred just like Strategic Zoom isn't.

What a lot of people do want is for Blizzard to come up with something really new themselves. For now, I am only seeing a little bit promise in the singleplayer campaign and that's it. A fourth race or a deep new gameplay mechanic would have been a lot more thrilling than the remake this is becoming in skirmish/multiplayer. At least the Diablo III team know they have to change the game mechanics thoroughly. Diablo II was a great game but it was far from perfect, same counts for the original StarCraft.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Best cover was in Westwood's RTS'es - buildings and bunkers. Relic cover is meh so Blizz did good to avoid it.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Jason said:
"Our game is about dancing: advance, retreat, advance, using the choke point"
my favourite dance move

cover systems work best in games with small squads... can't imagine hiding hordes of zergs behind rocks and playing peek-a-boo with the enemy

meh.. i think i'll go and replay tiberian sun or something now... you know... games that don't rely on the developer still existing/caring to be playable

Suicidal

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Best cover was in Westwood's RTS'es - buildings and bunkers. Relic cover is meh so Blizz did good to avoid it.

Wise words.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom