Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

Alex

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
...why the hell couldn't he implement the custom classes? I haven't played Daggerfall for a few years, but I don't remember them being particularly complicated. Isn't it just a difference of preset/picking skills?

No, Daggerfall actually had something to its custom classes. You could pick how much HP you earned each level, a huge amount of special abilities, such as adrenaline rush or magic absorption, a huge amount of disadvantages, such as being unable to use certain materials, and relationship between your class and different social classes.

Alex said:
Admiral jimbob said:
...why the hell couldn't he implement the custom classes? I haven't played Daggerfall for a few years, but I don't remember them being particularly complicated. Isn't it just a difference of preset/picking skills?

No, Daggerfall actually had something to its custom classes. You could pick how much HP you earned each level, a huge amount of special abilities, such as adrenaline rush or magic absorption, a huge amount of disadvantages, such as being unable to use certain materials, and relationship between your class and different social classes.

But since the preset classes use all of those settings, it should be pretty easy to make custom classes. All you are doing is making a GUI to reconfigure stats that the game already uses (assuming the game already uses them all, maybe there are a few custom class abilities not used in preset classes and therefore not implemented). The only possibly hard thing I can think of is reverse engineering the exact effects of each modification on the class's leveling rate-thingy, if information on that isn't already available online. Far be it from me to question what he feels like putting his time towards, though. The progress so far is great.

Panthera

Scholar
That's the thing. He actually has to make the UI. It's just another piece of work to be done.

True, but one would think that since he waited about 6 months to release the newest version with classes implemented he would take the week or so it took to get a GUI and customized classes down. Maybe he just isn't planning on working on it much in the very near future and wanted to get something out by the end of the year, though.

Panthera

Scholar
You could argue that for nearly any feature. At some point you have to put something out.

luciusDXL

Educated
Hello, it's been a long time since I visited these forums.

Anyway I noticed some reactions to the lack of custom classes. The first thing I'll mention is that they WILL be implemented but I decided to hold off on the implementation for a little while for multiple reasons.

1) To save time. Due to real life issues, development ground to a near halt for several months. Basically I needed to get a build out and not implementing custom classes allowed me to do that faster.

2) Easier to test. The set classes are known quantities that can be directly compared against said quantities in DOS. This means that as skills and abilities are implemented, when people test new features I don't have to worry about the extremes or weird combinations until the basic functionality is solid. To be honest, this is to make it easier on me but it is only temporary, custom classes will be implemented soon.

Otherwise, thanks for following the project. Sorry about the long delay, hopefully that kind of thing won't happen again. :)

bhlaab

Erudite
Sceptic said:
Still, the speed at which he's making progress is impressive. At this rate I guess we'll have a semi-playable version in a few months and pretty much all there version by the end of 2011.

I think 2011 is a little optimistic

luciusDXL said:
Hello, it's been a long time since I visited these forums.

Anyway I noticed some reactions to the lack of custom classes. The first thing I'll mention is that they WILL be implemented but I decided to hold off on the implementation for a little while for multiple reasons.

1) To save time. Due to real life issues, development ground to a near halt for several months. Basically I needed to get a build out and not implementing custom classes allowed me to do that faster.

2) Easier to test. The set classes are known quantities that can be directly compared against said quantities in DOS. This means that as skills and abilities are implemented, when people test new features I don't have to worry about the extremes or weird combinations until the basic functionality is solid. To be honest, this is to make it easier on me but it is only temporary, custom classes will be implemented soon.

Otherwise, thanks for following the project. Sorry about the long delay, hopefully that kind of thing won't happen again. :)

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

Carry on my good man.

Clockwork Knight said:
Why the rage? Do you people use such obscure skill combinations that you can't find something similar enough on the default list?

Its not Daggerfall if you can't break the game at level 1 :lol:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Clockwork Knight said:
Why the rage? Do you people use such obscure skill combinations that you can't find something similar enough on the default list?

Its not about skill combinations, its about advantages/disadvantages plus the skill progression meter. Of course, the entire argument is moot since the project isn't done yet.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Ah, I couldn't remember if advantages/disadvantages and the rest were included in class or picked separately. That makes a bit more sense. I think I'll wait until everything is implemented (the 1.0 release or whatever you'll call it) before playing it, but only because Daggerfall is such a huge timesink and it sounds like it'll be well worth waiting for the best experience possible from it. Best of luck.

stalin_brando said:
squeeeee

squeeeee

squeeeee

(wipes cum off of screen)

squeeeee

squeeeee

squeeeee

Not criticising your technique or anything, but just going by the noises you might want to go to a doctor. I don't think it's meant to sound like a Morrowind cliff racer.

Stella Brando

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
Not criticising your technique or anything, but just going by the noises you might want to go to a doctor. I don't think it's meant to sound like a Morrowind cliff racer.

It's meant to represent the sound of a cloth rubbing against a plastic monitor (with a thin layer of creamy liquid between). Not my dick screaming.

tennishero

Novice
daggerfall was a great game for its time

its aged worse than paris hilton's heroin + STD stained vagina

:roll:

morrowind and the seminal oblivion have aged much better

Nael

Arcane
tennishero said:
daggerfall was a great game for its time

its aged worse than paris hilton's heroin + STD stained vagina

:roll:

morrowind and the seminal oblivion have aged much better

Justin%20Bieber%20Shot%20CSI.GIF

DraQ

Arcane
Alex said:
a huge amount of disadvantages, such as being unable to use certain material
Bah. Why, of all disadvantages/advantages, you had to pick one of the few that don't make sense (because hard restrictions tend to be this way)?

Try: You could make a character with reduced magic aptitude in the daylight and phobia of the undead - HOW AWESOME IS THAT?

Clockwork Knight said:
Have you ever seen the custom class creation in DF? Also, skill combinations - maybe not, but advantage disadvantage combinations represented by the premade classes aren't generally the most interesting ever.

edit: Holy shit, Codex can into developers posting.
:o :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom