Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

Cliffworms

Novice
DFU has hit 3 million mod downloads on DFU Nexus. That's pretty awesome for a free remaster. While I had fun modding the other ES games, the advantage with DFU got a modding system specifically tailored for it, preventing many headaches found when modding the other games. Compatibility is always a nightmare to deal with the other games. A mod editing audio inside a building will conflict with a mod editing the interior's lighting, for example.

I'm happy to have put my other projects on a indefinite hold to focus solely on DFU.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Still planning on doing the knightly orders of 'Finding my Religion'?

Cliffworms

Novice
Yep! I'll need to finish building the larger temples found in walled cities first. I've reserved a spot for a templar order's building on the same spot as the city temple.
That's what I'll focus on once I'll be done with the palaces in Famous Faces.

index.php

Arcane
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfall-unity/releases/tag/v0.15.4-beta

Daggerfall Unity 0.15.4 Beta​

Getting Started​

If this is your first time installing Daggerfall Unity, please visit Installing Daggerfall Unity and Other Information for help getting started.

Summary​

This release is an improvement update for Daggerfall Unity with localization enhancements and bug fixes. Version 0.15.4 is intended to be a stable beta for general play. If you experience new issues with this version, please report to Help & Support on the Workshop Forums.

Mod Compatibility​

If you find a mod not compatible or broken by this release, please notify mod author on Nexus or Released Mods on forums.
If you are a mod creator and encounter any difficulties rebuilding your mod for 0.15.x, please reach out on the forums or Discord for help.
Note: This release has been updated to 0.15.4a to address an issue with mod compatibility.

Featured Changes​

Ted Peterson - Bourn in Wood Parts 1 and 2​

Daggerfall Unity now has two exclusive in-game books written by none other than Ted Peterson, the lead designer of Daggerfall and one of the fathers of The Elder Scrolls. Ted is the author of several in-game books you've discovered over the years in Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion. He is also the namesake of Sheogorath, the Daedric Prince of Madness.
These two books offer some background and motivation for a key figure in Daggerfall's story. They can be discovered once the player has progressed past a key moment in the game.
Ted wanted to be clear these books are in no way official and should not be considered canon. If Bethesda does something different with these characters in future then whatever Bethesda does is canon. Please also note that Part 1 and 2 are not the complete series, just the first two chapters.
We are very grateful to Ted for donating his time and talent to create something unique and special for Daggerfall Unity. Check out Ted's new game The Wayward Realms by OnceLost Games. This is a spiritual successor to Daggerfall led by Ted Peterson and Julian LeFay.

General Fixes & Improvements​

chloelcdev / Hazelnut
  • Reset seed to ensure magic item shop theft randomization #2529
  • Ensure GetMerchantMagicItems preserves seed #2534
Jay_H
  • Fix text line in R0C11Y28 9d5ee7c
  • Fix misplaced rumor in C0B00Y01 #2536
Pango
  • Fix description of Wayrest Painting non-magic look ce9d09e
  • Make sure description matches painting gfx a545fd1
  • Fix regression caused by #1861 #2533
  • The Cursed Weapon quest typo bce56fd
DunnyOfPenwick
  • Dim backgound for DaggerfallEffectSettingsEditorWindow to match classic #2532
Interkarma
  • Fixes to R0C11Y28 1ad4507
  • Fix placement in Lord K'avar Part III 45a40eb
  • Fix map name reader edge case overflow a322cf5
  • Use localized class name during character creation c1fc28d
  • Use localized quest display name in popup list 7805d4f
  • Localize guild rank names 79b1ea2 87774e6 536b4d5
  • Merge Bourn in Wood parts 1 and 2 8b49619
  • Don't disable ClassicUpdate for non-pausing window b85d62c
  • Don't suppress world when starting in dungeons 53ce636
  • Fixes crash when loading a save game with invalid book IDs c75c15f
  • Downgrade missing book editor error to warning c266c4e
  • Add readme to CifRci and Img folders to prevent build stripping e5f6a7d
  • Fix small-size texture compression threshold check 4a65a03
  • Disambiguate Daedric/Orcish strings between skill and material 5694cf2
  • Localize mid date-time format string seen on save/load UI e38246b

Cliffworms

Novice
1.0 is the next release. According to Interkarma, it's pretty much it but he prefers to throw in additional fixes before calling it a full release.
I wasn't made aware of DFU until 2020. I found it a very interesting project to follow and I guess it must have been even more interesting for those who followed it since its beginning.

index.php

Arcane
Daggerfall Unity 0.16.0 Release Candidate

Getting Started​

If this is your first time installing Daggerfall Unity, please visit Installing Daggerfall Unity and Other Information for help getting started.

Summary​

This release is an improvement update for Daggerfall Unity with minor localization enhancements and bug fixes. Version 0.16.0 is intended to be a stable release for general play. If you experience new issues with this version, please report to Help & Support on the Workshop Forums.

Release Candidate​

Daggerfall Unity is in Beta no more! We are now entering the Release Candidate phase in the final lead-up to version 1.0. This is the point where mod creators should ensure their work is compatible and updated if necessary. If no showstopping problems are found in this candidate, then Daggerfall Unity will progress to 1.0 on the following release.
If you find a mod not compatible or broken by this release, please notify mod author on Nexus or Released Mods on forums.
If you are a mod creator and encounter any difficulties rebuilding your mod for 0.16.x, please reach out on the forums or Discord for help.

Unity Splash​

Starting from 0.16, Daggerfall Unity will display a customised Unity splash for 2 seconds then load the standard launcher splash. Here's what it looks like.
My reasoning for enabling the splash:
  1. I'm moving on from Daggerfall Unity after 1.0 and won't be maintaining a Unity subscription (which is currently required to remove the splash). Unity also recently removed the more affordable Plus tier which makes this cost prohibitive anyway.
  2. I feel it's important to normalise splash so that any future stewards or variants of this project do not feel like they need to pay for a Unity sub just to be on parity with the main release. Everyone is equal and you all own Daggerfall Unity now.
  3. Splash provides future stewards or variant projects the ability to customise start with their own identity.

Featured Changes​

Daggerfall Unity is now feature complete. There are no major new features planned or in the pipeline at this time.
This may change as the project enters post 1.0 support and the community continues to evolve this project in unexpected ways. But for now, the goal is to enable mod compatibility and stability for 1.0. Every change has the potential to break something for mods, and we don't want to do that again for a while.

General Fixes & Improvements​

Jay_H
  • Fix R0C11Y26 click clearing #2537
Interkarma
  • Localize hand-to-hand damage format string ee6c538
  • Localize affiliation format string f872f0a
  • Add hooks to cycle interaction modes from mods 2650483

index.php

Arcane
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/515

Betony Restored​

Adds the 25 locations from Daggerfall's Betony Demo to the island of Betony. Those include a capital city, villages, dungeons and misc. locations such as farms and shacks. Also has a custom marketplace, detailed shops and a detailed palace.

Betony Restored adds the locations that were present in Daggerfall's Betony demo. New locations include 4 villages, 6 dungeons, 13 misc. locations such as shacks and farms and, finally, Betony City. The island is a protectorate of the Kingdom of Daggerfall and, as such, you will see both Betony's and Daggerfall's banners.

In addition, Betony's marketplace is busy with merchants and peddlers who react to bad weather and time of day. Early in the morning, they set up their stalls. At night, the marketplace is empty but some NPCs hang around the taverns. The shops around the marketplace also get an interior revamp with more details and layouts more fitting of a shop. The bank has clerks behind counters, the genereral store has misc. wares lying around and the tailor has a bench you can sit on to try your new boots.

The Betony Palace is also more detailed than the rest, with a proper main hall where the lord hears the peasants' pleas, a council room where a representative of Daggerfall and Betony hold talks, a kitchen, a bedroom and more. Betony City has you covered for guilds as well. All main guilds, plus a hall for Daggerfall's Knights of the Dragon, have a building. The Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood also have halls in a select few villages.

If you are using Basic Roads and Travel Options, you'll notice that the new locations have been connected to the roads and new roads have been drawn.

Enjoy adventuring in Betony!

Cliffworms

Novice
Enjoy!

That was fun to design. The Betony Demo is how I discovered Daggerfall back in 1996. It was on a PC Gamer demo CD. Coming back to the demo to make this project was fun.
With a bank and all services and guild halls, it's possible to for someone to keep adventuring on Betony for a long time.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Great looking mod, Cliffworms. Love the work you do. I'll be sure to use that one next time I'm on a Daggerfall kick, usually when I play Daggerfall to sandbox around in I pick a region and just stay there and quest within it, Betony has eluded me though since it was missing so many essentials.

The other major problem with the smaller regions is the lack of dungeons, there are a few regions I've noticed where you get sent back to the same dungeon once every 3 quests or so just with different enemies scattered about and I believe Betony is one of them, but I'm not entirely sure. Not that I'm asking you to solve something like that (though you say your Betony restored mod actually does restore some cut dungeons, so hopefully it's enough), it also probably sounds ridiculous to be thinking the game needs more dungeons, but it makes sense in the context of regional gameplay I think.

Cliffworms

Novice
Great looking mod, Cliffworms. Love the work you do. I'll be sure to use that one next time I'm on a Daggerfall kick, usually when I play Daggerfall to sandbox around in I pick a region and just stay there and quest within it, Betony has eluded me though since it was missing so many essentials.

The other major problem with the smaller regions is the lack of dungeons, there are a few regions I've noticed where you get sent back to the same dungeon once every 3 quests or so just with different enemies scattered about and I believe Betony is one of them, but I'm not entirely sure. Not that I'm asking you to solve something like that (though you say your Betony restored mod actually does restore some cut dungeons, so hopefully it's enough), it also probably sounds ridiculous to be thinking the game needs more dungeons, but it makes sense in the context of regional gameplay I think.

Thanks! I play the game just like you, especially by tending to stay in smaller regions. Since Betony Restored adds 6 dungeons, that brings the total number of dungeons to 13. Hopefully that'll help diversify quests a bit more. With the other additions such as a bank and more factions, Betony can be a great self-contained area for adventures. The Iliac Bay's own Vvardenfell, so to speak.

I plan to continue enhancing Betony with other detailed features I want to add all over the Iliac Bay, such as detailed farms and shacks. It's a great location to use to test those things.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Is this one of them elder scrolls games where you need to spend three weeks installing three billion mods in order to make the game somewhat enjoyable? :M

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Is this one of them elder scrolls games where you need to spend three weeks installing three billion mods in order to make the game somewhat enjoyable? :M
No, Daggerfall was quite buggy at release, so someone playing the original version will want to ensure they have incorporated not only the developer's patch but also the community patch, but no mods were needed for it to be a good, if not quite great, game. +M

Alex

Arcane
No, Daggerfall was quite buggy at release, so someone playing the original version will want to ensure they have incorporated not only the developer's patch but also the community patch, but no mods were needed for it to be a good, if not quite great, game. +M
How long until we have enough mods so that it implements everything the devs wanted to in the original release?

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
There's really no reason not to spice up DFU with mods. The vanilla game starts to show its seams long before you can complete the main quest.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Anyone know if any of the work on DFU is applicable to Battlespire? Battlespire used a slightly updated version of DF’s engine iirc

grimace

Arcane

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware​

Jul 1, 2009

So for the YouTuber who will use this thread for as the script for an epic video . . .
remember it was originally titled:

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware​

grimace

Arcane
Just to mention that someone is building a new engine for Daggerfall, called DaggerXL. This is not the first Daggerfall remake attempt, but this time the guy seems to have already done a good job before announcing it to 'the community'. Here is his blog, with a video and some screenshots showing Privateer's Old, the first dungeon:

http://daggerxl.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/simple-collision-proper-uvs-and-flats/

From the internet archive we can view the lost web page.

https://web.archive.org/web/2009070.../06/28/simple-collision-proper-uvs-and-flats/

June 28, 2009

Simple collision, proper uvs and flats

Posted by luciusdxl under Uncategorized
[3] Comments
I’ve implemented simple collision which allows me to explore the dungeon in first person. I’ve also implemented proper uv’s for faces with 4 or more faces and finally flats (sprites). The project is now at the state where I’m going to announce it more publically. Note that monsters and loot still has to be implemented.
Here’s a movie of me wandering around in Privateer’s Hold in DaggerXL (note that collision is still primitive and it looks like some of the textures are wrong – although they are exactly what the model says they should be):

https://web.archive.org/web/2009070.../06/28/simple-collision-proper-uvs-and-flats/

Lemming42

Arcane
I like retro mode. Does anyone know the best settings? Point filter + 640x400 is pretty good but it still looks a little bit off to me.

KvYG8je.png

Sg5BBPg.png

cOC4jni.png

I guess there's no way to get it looking exactly like DOS. Obviously I've got some mods like the grass and the skies which can make it look a bit jarring.

lvl 2 Blue Slime

Educated
What are the best mods for a "Vanilla Plus" type experience, ie mods that improve the game while preserving the essential vanilla experience?

Lemming42

Arcane
What are the best mods for a "Vanilla Plus" type experience, ie mods that improve the game while preserving the essential vanilla experience?
Quest Pack 1 (more quests)
World of Daggerfall (adds new terrain and things like bandit camps and docks to the world; trust me it's worth it)
Vanilla Enhanced (more visual variety for NPCs and new enemies done largely in the vanilla style)
Skulduggery (adds new mechanics for thieves, including skill checks when burgling stores and houses at night)
Archaeologists (adds a new guild focused mostly around language skills)

To more interesting visuals and city/interior layout:
Finding My Religion (for temples)
Soldier's Luxury (for FG and Knightly Orders)
Taverns Redone (for taverns)
Lively Cities (for additional static NPCs in cities)
Beautiful Villages (this is new but it's looking good)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom