Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
By the way, if you not aware Masie knows lots about Skyrim modding. You guys can continue to have these types of informative and detailed modding discussions on that thread

Keep up the interesting posts :cool:
Nah I didn't know that! You know me Bruce and I'm big time into modding Morrowind and Skyrim; I don't get into Skyrim or Oblivion nearly as much but every once in a while I get caught up in it (like I did the other week haha). Thanks for letting me know!

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
2023_01_07_02_24_37.jpg
2023_01_07_02_24_46.jpg
2023_01_07_02_26_52.jpg
2023_01_07_02_28_52.jpg
2023_01_07_02_30_33.jpg
2023_01_07_02_31_21.jpg

So I took a few more screenshots of my current character, a Breton custom class (I settled on Armiger, because I'm not as in-depth in my cultural lore with Bretons as I am the Nords and Dunmer). I love the mod that adds the jewelry and the new armor, of which you can see in some photos the new boots and chest pieces, very cool additions that add what amounts of basically intermediate variants between medium and light and medium and heavy. I got super lucky with drops, a Steel Dai Katana right off the bat, then after exiting Privateer's Hold I got jumped by three Rogues (my first time this happened in over 6 new play throughts while testing recently), and one of them dropped another shiny new Steel Dai Katana, and several piecs of jewelry! And of course, had to take a shot of a topless battle princess, haha. I completely smashed apart the skeleton in the throne room and those rogues, plus the imps, with no trouble whatsoever on this character.. definitely a keeper. Could it be the one I finish the main quest with? Only time will tell..

mastroego

Arcane
unseeingeye:
the quote pyramid is becoming too large so I'll do without it.
Thanks again for the additional info and for the UI tips.
I've added:

- Unleveled Loot
- Kab's Unleveled Spells
- Basic Magic Regen

BruceVC said:
By the way, if you not aware Masie knows lots about Skyrim modding. You guys can continue to have these types of informative and detailed modding discussions on that thread

Well I wouldn't say that ;)Though I did spend lots of time with Skyrim modding. But I eventually focused on creating a solid, "minimal" Requiem-based list, so I'm basically skipping a boatload of other mods :)

unseeingeye said:
So I took a few more screenshots of my current character, a Breton custom class (I settled on Armiger, because I'm not as in-depth in my cultural lore with Bretons as I am the Nords and Dunmer). I love the mod that adds the jewelry and the new armor, of which you can see in some photos the new boots and chest pieces,
whoa whoa whoa stop right there! :-D
What's this armor mod you're talking about? Can't find it on the list. I do have the jewelry one...

EDIT: I've also added Weather Items but I don't get them at start. Does it ONLY work with Random Starting Dungeon ?

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
BruceVC said:

Well I wouldn't say that ;)Though I did spend lots of time with Skyrim modding. But I eventually focused on creating a solid, "minimal" Requiem-based list, so I'm basically skipping a boatload of other mods :)
You being modest, I remember the first time last year I started chatting to you and you shared that detailed list of Skyrim mods. And you kept it updated. You and unseeingeye will exchange some good notes if you guys have this same debate around Skyrim :cool:

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yea, that is correct! The Roleplay and Realism mod and the optional additional mod Items add a significant amount to the game beyond just simple survival gear and the camping system, but everything I've experienced from it has so well blended in to vanilla Daggerfall that had I not been already overly familiar with the base games armor and such I would probably not be able to tell whether or not something came from a mod. That particular mod also includes two new weapons types, a Light Flail and an Archer's Axe, and again both feel right at home with the rest of the base games weapons. This mod is also the one responsible for providing you with starting equipment based on the skills you select as Primary and Major, as well as spells should you include any of the schools of magicka.

My character right now, the Breton custom class that I feel I just may stick with for the long haul (currently only level 3 but already started the main quest and done some quests for the Mages Guild and the Fighters Guild, devoted to Kynareth but haven't joined a temple yet) has Destruction and Restoration included in her primary and major skills (along with Long Blade, Critical Strike, Dodge and Archery) and that is why you can see an unusual amount of spells on the HotKey Bar mod even though she was only in the opening dungeon. With those schools of magicka in those skill brackets, I started the game having already learned Balyna's Balm (vanilla Restoration spell), and also the mod-added spells Salve Bruise (heal Health) and Smelling Salts (heal Fatigue) from Restoration and Arcane Arrow (Magicka damage on Target) and Minor Shock (Shock damage on Touch) from Destruction. I am a bit fuzzy on these details but, I believe that those mod-added spells are actually added to the game by Roleplay and Realism - Items, however I believe that Kab's Unleveled Spells actually was made to work with Roleplay and Realism and the Items mod, so the two are not only compatible but complementary in this regard. So by starting with Restoration and Destruction in my Primary skill slots, I begin the game with the ability to heal my characters health, but more importantly her fatigue, which you may have noticed drains very rapidly at early levels in Daggerfall shoudl you engage in any strenuous activities like combat, climbing or swimming. Running drains it too but I don't think quite as severely.

Just yesterday when I played last, I got a random quest from one of the several quest mods I'm using (unfortunately I don't know which one), it was the kind where when you enter a town or city a message comes up saying either that you grab a piece of paper that was on the ground, or that a courier or some such hands you a note. Anyway it was from a king of some palace all the way on the eastern edge of the region, offering a reward for slaying a Giant that had taken up residence in such and such a dungeon. Well I'm only level 2 at that point, so I make my way to the dungeon and not only do I have to track down this Giant and slay him, but I ended up having to kill 3 other Giants before I found the one that the quest was attached to! And even with a nearly complete set of Chain armor those things can kill my character in two - three hits, and they have like 80 or something health. I had to rely on the Arcane Arrow spell for the first one but it drained my magicka too quickly, so thank God I used a significant portion of my opening dungeon loot sales to purchase the Lightning spell form the Mage's Guild, which with Kab's Unlevelled Spells always does something like 30 - 50 (I'm probably off by a significant margin but around that amount) damage, a mega ruin your day on-Target monster of a spell at that level. I was able to kill those Giants with two or three successful casts of the Lightning spell (some a bit more if the Giant saved-versus the spell), but I promise you that without at minimum that starting spell Arcane Arrow, I would have never been able to kill all of them at that level without serious save scumming. I did try to attack them with my Dai Katana at first and almost killed that first one with it, but I had to turn around and run to cast a healing spell repeatedly until I could withstand more than a single hit before turning back to face it again.

Anyway about your Weather Items mod not working; it is supposed to add, at least in my experience it adds, one or two of either plain robes or casual cloaks, and a pair of shoes or boots. That is all that it does, are you sure you're not expecting more? Or they just simply aren't appearing in your inventory when you click on the corresponding tab? If not, perhaps it is a load order issue? You definitely do not need to use Random Starting Dungeon for it to work properly, I've never used that mod and it works every time I make a new character no matter what mods I add or remove. I believe the mod page lists that as a requirement but I can confirm that it most definitely is not a hard requirement. I do use Climates and Calories and Travel Options which are also listed as requirements, maybe it is a matter of being positioned beneath or above those mods? I forget off hand but I think I have it positioned below both of them in my load order at home.

mastroego

Arcane
Anyway about your Weather Items mod not working; it is supposed to add, at least in my experience it adds, one or two of either plain robes or casual cloaks, and a pair of shoes or boots. That is all that it does, are you sure you're not expecting more? Or they just simply aren't appearing in your inventory when you click on the corresponding tab? If not, perhaps it is a load order issue? You definitely do not need to use Random Starting Dungeon for it to work properly, I've never used that mod and it works every time I make a new character no matter what mods I add or remove. I believe the mod page lists that as a requirement but I can confirm that it most definitely is not a hard requirement. I do use Climates and Calories and Travel Options which are also listed as requirements, maybe it is a matter of being positioned beneath or above those mods? I forget off hand but I think I have it positioned below both of them in my load order at home.
You're absolutely right my friend, I wasn't switching the inventory Tab. :D
That was dumb of me, well...

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You're absolutely right my friend, I wasn't switching the inventory Tab. :D
That was dumb of me, well...
Haha that's ok, I suspected that was the case!
When I haven't played in a while I sometimes forget about the different tabs at first, so I can imagine when its new that they aren't immediately apparent. The whole inventory system in Daggerfall is kind of weird, I mean I love it don't get me wrong, but it is kind of a pain to have to keep swapping tabs if you forget what kind of armor you have on and are wearing a cloak or robes. I do wish instead of just the little numbers next to the paper doll that it also included the name at least of what you have equipped. Sometimes I genuinely forget, like do I have a plate chest piece or is it chain? And with the new pieces added by the Realism Items mod it gets even more mysterious. At least with boots, gloves helmets and some leg parts you can always tell or rest your mouse pointer over a pixel or two and get the name, but the arms and chest pieces are always hidden when wearing a cloak. Since the game always starts in the winter season, if you're using the Climates and Calories and the Realism mods you pretty much have to constantly be wearing at least two cloaks, I usually wear one formal cloak and one casual cloak with only one of the hoods up.

By the way in case you didn't know, you can change the cloaks and robes display type, so you can make the hoods up and down on formal cloaks, while with casual cloaks you can make it so that they cover the shoulders, cover only one or the other shoulder, or just hang around from the back of your neck draped across your back, each with a hood-up variant. I think with keyboard and mouse you just right-click the clothing item you want to change (I still mostly use my controller so I forget but I'm pretty sure it is just right-clicking). With the Calories and Climate and mod, once it starts raining or snowing, you will get a warning in the "status" bar (in case you didn't know, you have to click the status key three times to get the new mod-added body temperature and condition display to come up) something like "your hair and neck are soaking with the cold" I can't remember exactly what it says, but the implication is that you need to draw up your hood. So whenever it starts snowing or raining I go into the inventory menu and put the hood up, and that message instantly goes away. Also if you get soaked you have to rest at a campfire I think for at minimum 2 hours to get fully dry. There are a ton of little mechanics like that in that mod, which is what somewhat makes me hesitate to recommend it for a first playthrough since Daggerfall is already somewhat overwhelming and complicated to learn, but for people who regularly play older or even newer complex CRPGs it really shouldn't be that big of a deal, and you can turn off certain aspects to make those mods less intense.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
One other tip because I always forget this! When you do certain quests that send you to an NPC, there may not actually be an NPC by the name mentioned in your quest log at the location you're sent to. For instance, the Mages Guild quest to cast a Sleep spell on somebody, it will send you to a specific building in a random town, but when you go inside you may only see like a generic warrior or battlemage, but no NPC in sight, and their name doesn't come up in the "People" tab during NPC dialogues for you to ask about their location. In this case all you have to do is be in the building the quest sends you to and use the Sleep spell... that's it. You will immediately get a message box popup confirming that you put the quest target to sleep and can return to the guild to finish the quest. I totally forgot about this, it kind of reminds me of the Might and Magic 3 - 5 games where you don't actually see most NPCs but just an object like a counter or a chair. I was looking all over this house I was sent to like a psycho for 20 minutes or so before I equipped the spell to try on the generic unit and it worked and I realize "Oh right, there is no animation sequence or even static sprite for an NPC sleeping in a bed.." thus the interaction is supposed to occur in your imagination.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Well that's weird but it's certainly useful to know!
Yea I figured I ought to say something about it because even I, who have encountered this quest multiple times over the many years I've played and replayed this game, forget EVERY TIME and think my game is bugged, lol. Even in the Unity version, after so many years of fearing bugs in the vanilla game I still have PTSD and irrationally assume everything is a bug before getting my self together and looking into the matter. Most quests aren't like this, or if there is no visual representation of what you are doing it usually makes sense like in the situations where you get letters placed in your pocket and such that only occur as messages on your screen. But in this particular case and a few similar ones, it can be very confusing. I would just suggest to always save before you take any quest, and if you encounter something you aren't sure about during a quest, try looking online for an explanation first before assuming its a bug or using console commands to override them. The way I play is I only keep three to four saves per character, one at the very beginning if I really like the character and want a backup just in case I have to start over, then one that is my most current save that I just call "Current", then another called "Before Quest" that I always save just before talking to somebody for a quest, and finally one called "On Quest" where I am about to do something mega risky right in the midst of a quest. In between quests I use my "Current" save as the go-to, and this way I always have something to go back to should I encounter anything seriously bugged.

mastroego

Arcane
Well my friend thanks again for all the hints and reports.
It took longer than I thought but I believe I have a respectable build ATM, good enough to actually start the game :)
Not sure I'll do it immediately either, too many balls to juggle already, that's why I didn't need to rush this modding endeavour to begin with :D
First challenge will be the creation of the class, I know it'll take me days as well (lol)

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
You're quite welcome! I go through rather infrequent phases of posting here, sometimes I won't even check the forums for months because I get really caught up in my other interests (mainly history), but I've been gaming a bit more than often lately so I'll likely stick around for a bit longer, so if you have any questions or want to talk more I ought to be around, and you can always feel free to message me too. I've been playing Daggerfall but also I just came off a major overhaul of my Morrowind mods since a whole bunch of cool new mods had been released over the 6 months or so of my absence, and on top of that I've been replaying Ultima Underworld with the intention of actually finishing it so that I can finally try the sequel. It is hard to stick with a single game because there are so many great ones I want to replay or try for the first time and I rarely get totally absorbed into just one game anymore. The last time it happened was when Elden Ring was released, that game consumed my life for like a month straight lol.

Cliffworms

Novice
A new worldbuilding tool has been released out of nowhere, by someone unknown to the community. It's an RMB Editor, or a block editor.
To summarize how Daggerfall's world is built, its locations use a list of prebuilt "blocks" which contain buildings, ground textures and objects. The locations were generated by choosing from this list. When you edit one block, the changes are seen across all locations that have this block.

Now that this is said, before it was only possible to edit blocks by using Visual Studio Code and typing coordinates and object entries textually. It was a hit or miss (most often miss). Then the World Data Editor was released which allowed building and dungeon editing, but not block editing.

Well there it is now! With such a tool, it's now possible to create whole new blocks and edit existing ones. Cramp buildings together to create narrow streets and dark alleys. Replace houses with ruined buildings. Build wooden palisades. Revamp dungeon exteriors. Expand a farm with a block that consists only of crops.

This is some very exciting stuff and I'm having a blast with that tool. :)

https://youtu.be/dk5z2orOcBQ

Robber Baron

Savant
A new worldbuilding tool has been released out of nowhere, by someone unknown to the community. It's an RMB Editor, or a block editor.
To summarize how Daggerfall's world is built, its locations use a list of prebuilt "blocks" which contain buildings, ground textures and objects. The locations were generated by choosing from this list. When you edit one block, the changes are seen across all locations that have this block.

Now that this is said, before it was only possible to edit blocks by using Visual Studio Code and typing coordinates and object entries textually. It was a hit or miss (most often miss). Then the World Data Editor was released which allowed building and dungeon editing, but not block editing.

Well there it is now! With such a tool, it's now possible to create whole new blocks and edit existing ones. Cramp buildings together to create narrow streets and dark alleys. Replace houses with ruined buildings. Build wooden palisades. Revamp dungeon exteriors. Expand a farm with a block that consists only of crops.

Can you create your own world map with this or some other way at the moment?

Cliffworms

Novice

Can you create your own world map with this or some other way at the moment?
I've seen posts on the Daggerfall Unity forums saying that it is indeed possible, but would require coding to integrate it in the game world.
This tool allows you to modify exterior parts you encounter in locations (blocks). Since a block is used in more than one location, doing something like deleting a building will delete it in all locations that has this block.

It's also already possible to create new locations using the game's blocks. Except this time, if you have the creativity and time, you can create a town of your own design.

index.php

Arcane
Daggerfall Unity 0.15.1 Beta [Pre-release]

Preview Release​

Due to the large number of bug fixes and other incremental changes, this release is marked as a preview / pre-release of 0.15.
If you do not wish to test upcoming changes or provide feedback to developers and modders, please download the previous stable Beta release Daggerfall Unity 0.14.5 instead.

Impact to Mods​

Changes in this release are considered "low-moderate impact" to mods. Mods compatible with 0.14.5 should generally remain compatible with this release. Some mods could be impacted depending on which part of the game mod targets. Mod creators please test your mods to confirm compatible with this release and update/rebuild if needed. This ensures your mod is ready for the next general release.
If you are a mod creator and encounter any difficulties rebuilding your mod for 0.15.x, please reach out on the forums for help.

Providing Feedback​

Please help mod authors by testing their updated mods with this release and providing them with your feedback on Nexus or on the forums.
If you encounter any new issues in this release not present in the previous general release, please post details to Help & Support on the forums.

Upcoming Stable Release​

If this release proves to be stable and no major problems are raised, the next release (0.15.2) will be considered a stable beta release for general play.

Featured Changes​

Interkarma - Localization Upgrade​

The localization feature in Daggerfall Unity has received significant upgrades. Translating the game is now easier and involves less technical overhead than in previous releases.

DaggerfallUnity_2023-04-06_18-53-09
French language screenshot credit Daneel53

To summarise the improvements in this release:
  • Simplified workflow to create translation mods.
  • No need to use the Unity editor or write any code.
  • Replace fonts simply with a .ttf or .otf file.
  • Replace in-game text with only CSV and .txt files.
  • More text can be translated than ever - quests, location names, books, almost all text in game now.
  • Add colour, text scaling, and images to book text.
  • Easily share translations as simple .zip files and unzip into StreamingAssets.
  • Several bug fixes and updates to localization layer in DFU to support all this and make things easy as possible to work with using basic tools like Excel and Notepad.
  • A zip file of master localization CSV files is included with game release.
Article below is a fast but detailed introduction to translating DFU in 0.15.1 and later. This article supersedes any previous translation process.

https://www.dfworkshop.net/translating-daggerfall-unity/

AverniteDF - Improved Mouselook Smoothing #2479

Daggerfall Unity's mouse look smoothing has been updated. This new method by AverniteDF has uniform mouse sensitivity parity whether smoothing is on or off, and allows for setting a variable amount of smoothing rather than simply on/off. You can now configure smoothing to six levels: None (disabled), Lowest, Low, Medium (default), High, Highest.

Note: If you previously had mouse look smoothing enabled, your mouse look sensitivity will now be lower than before. Increase sensitivity in settings until this is back to a comfortable level.

Mouse look sensitivity maximum has also been increased from 8.0 to 16.0 as part of this change. The default has also been increased, but this won't change existing setups.

General Fixes & Improvements​

Jefetienne
  • Fix broken keybinding for modifier combo keys such as Ctrl and Alt #2458
Numidium
  • Rework weapon caching and fix scaling issue #2462
  • Adjust arrow position relative to camera rotation #2471
Pango
  • Serialize PlayerTeleportedInsideDungeon so that Castle Daggerfall doors can be opened from inside after teleport and save/load #2464
  • Fix two typos in locale_set description 33ba92f
  • Use uppercase ?PAINT.CIF filenames for case-sensitive filesystems 2f9906b
JayH
  • Update K0C00Y06.txt (A Mix-Up) quest to fully restore lost legal repute at end of quest #2463
  • Quest fixes Nov 2022 (R0C11Y28, S0000500, S0000501) #2466
  • Quest fixes Jan 2023 (M0B11Y18, S0000003, S0000015) #2488
  • Add time limit reminder to DB entrance quest #2496
andrew-raphael-lukasik
  • [Editor] Draw building door debug trigger outlines using OnDrawGizmosSelected() #2450
  • DaggerfallBillboardBatch fix for OnDestroy issue #2456 #2427
  • Better exception message for SerializableStateManager.GetStatefulGameObjectType #2444
nights192
  • Fix lycanthrope guard despawning improperly #2469
DFIronman
  • Raise an event when a crime is committed #2474
JorisVanEijden
  • Fix %god macro for fighters guild #2478
  • Fix message trigger condition bug when giving the totem to Gothryd #2482
  • Fix The Relic quest (C0B10Y15) not giving extra reputation #2483
  • Always allow custom items to handle UseItem themselves #2481
Interkarma
  • Update Addressables to 1.21.1, Localization to 1.4.2 4642378
  • Support for loading TTF and OTF fonts from StreamingAssets/Fonts 4d5b9b6 08a0b30
  • Add StringTablePatcher for localization via external CSV files 659f2f1 d921931
  • Output debug list of missing default chars in font 7ada0f7
  • Allow localization of quest message text from CSV 899e4d6 a771d33
  • Migrate building names to localization ff7d7cb
  • Migrate region names to localization 35f6978 dec7d3b 27d2f92 53447a1 56bf64c
  • Allow localizing location names from CSV 934062e 32e47a4 804c0d4
  • Localize location name on bulletin boards 24d9e27
  • Localize region name in Place Macro4 49799a1
  • Localize additional Person and Place macros 27757d9
  • Localize "travel to" region and location names e52571e
  • Localize "would you like to travel to" prompt 13e174d
  • Localize location name on travel map 70aadac
  • Travel map search and list localized location names 9b8b471
  • Handle localized Place name when clicking through journal 87041f0 33c8d2e
  • Workaround for journal goto clicks and older saves d011326
  • Add default localized books to base game 7937b4c
  • Add LocalizedBook support 6310a34 5d3a919
  • Rework book reader UI to use LocalizedBook data edd2a77
  • Add "missing" book due to wrong ID 6a97e93
  • Show localized book title/author in tooltip and info popup 84af0c6
  • Add image markup to localized books 38e4f68
  • Fixes to "Invocation of Azura" book text 17fb018
  • Double mouselook sensitivity maximum to 16.0 c22bf05
  • End Levitate when no rounds remaining e18422e
  • Fix constant effect lifecycle to end properly at 0 rounds f55fe29
  • Seek CSV files from mods 121c9c2
  • Seek FLC from StreamingAssets 522c4ba
  • Adjust default mouselook sensitivity post smooth upgrade 0286cf2
  • Fixes to eye height calculations in PlayerHeightChanger 0d24d3e
  • Prevent CurrentRegionIndex out of range 06687cf
  • Fix singleton soul gem not assigning penalties cadc7f3
  • Lower secondary "isplayerinside" flags on building exit 8b5e3b0
  • Migrate date time strings to localization e5088be
  • Display non-localized region name from older saves c15b4fa
  • Handle escaped quotes read from CSV 3c57976
  • Exclude completed quests from active person check 8391ba0

Luzur

Good Sir
Feels like i need to wait til they are done updating it so i can play it without having to download all the mods over and over due to them breaking all the time

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Do any of you nerds know if it's possible to make the SDF fonts, the smooth fonts in the image above, look more pixelated like the menu/button fonts without forcing the game to render in native 320 or 640 resolution?
On the start-up menu:
cpdULOx.png

If you've set the game to skip this menu, then simply hold down SHIFT while it launches and you can access it again.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was going to say that but I tried to be optimistic.... i guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom