Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS D.O.R.F. Real-Time Strategic Conflict: Now on Steam!

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Last edited by a moderator:

Lizard

Learned
Oh my goodness, something that actually looks good! Been wanting devs to go back to 90s/early 2000s isometric graphics since other older styles like ps1 low poly are getting popular again.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
This game is still alive, huh? Progress is looking good.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
The unit and building designs touch my spirit deep inside.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
People will no doubt watch the yuge units and buildings and think 'so cool!'

But I played too much Dawn of War not to recognise pathfinding hell when it's laid bare before me.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
People will no doubt watch the yuge units and buildings and think 'so cool!'

But I played too much Dawn of War not to recognise pathfinding hell when it's laid bare before me.
I'm not 100% sure about this, but the game's pathfinding seems to be grid-based (vs mesh-based as modern RTS tend to be).
At least all the units seem to line up along an invisible grid-like pattern, bringing me to that assumption.

While grid-based might not look as nice and comes with some restrictions when it comes to stuff like eg free formation rotation, it does make pathfinding and determining which "tile" is blocked or not significantly easier, thus making pathfinding maybe look a bit more clunky, but generally work better.
Or, at least it's much easier to pull that off with a grid- than with a mesh-based approach.

spectre

Arcane
Personally, I prefer the Total Annihilation formula to C&C, but it's nice stuff like this still gets made.
That art truly has a bit of everything. But not necessarily in a bad way. Some of the stuff even reminds me of Final Liberation and now I need to go play it.

Humbaba

Arcane
Actually looks pretty good, don't see many indie games accurately replication the 90's pre-rendered sprites look. Getting RTS gameplay right though is even harder to do.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Looks great and the buildings look very interesting / different. The artstyle looks distinct for something that uses such old tech. Hope development goes smoothly.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Boy did I get the wrong idea about this thread...
Dorf.png
Game looks good though.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only negative thing I have seen so far, is that the infantry sprites look a bit goofy with their huge helmets.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Wishlisted. I love the C&C style of RTS design and love seeing the spins devs put on it. I love the retro art style, I love the almost fully destructible environments, and I love novelties like steampunk dwarfs.

Harthwain

Magister
Looks cool. Gives me Original War vibes for some reason, even though Command & Conquer or Total Annihilation is probably a better way to describe the gameplay. I am not a big fan of RTS games anymore, but this could be a retro title worth checking out. I hope for the game to have some nice single-player campaign to go through. Although I am probably being fabulously optimistic here...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom