Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D threatens prison security, promotes gang activity.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Penny arcade did a cartoon on this a year ago, when it was actually news:
774280332_HXXsE-L.jpg

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Joke's on them. I know the 3.5 rules well enough to run without books.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Re: D&D threatens prison security, promotes gang activit

IronicNeurotic said:
Actually. D&D is pretty popular in prisons.

For whatever reason.

Its popular because it serves as an escape, a creative outlet, and a past time. Inmates and D&D are two of Americas favorite Straw Man. Put em together and it was just a matter of time before some duplicitous punk took a shot.

OminousBlueDot

Educated
I invision a day when prisoners are isolated from each other with magnets.

INMATE A, approachse INMATE B in lunch line. "I stab you with my sword of Awesome."
Lunch lady rolls dice.
Lunch Lady: "You are smote, Inmate A."
Inmate A chives Inmate B
Sirens sound.

deuxhero

Arcane
FFS, just keep them in a cell with a bed and a toilet and give them food through a slot and hose them off every month or so. It's not hard.

Re: D&D threatens prison security, promotes gang activit

Kaanyrvhok said:
IronicNeurotic said:
Actually. D&D is pretty popular in prisons.

For whatever reason.

Its popular because it serves as an escape, a creative outlet, and a past time.

Also because it only requires a pencil, a few sheets of paper, and a few dice. It's perfect for someone who is locked up in a parent's basement-like place.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
thesheeep said:
The real question is:

Do they prefer to play parties of evil alignment?

You ever seen a Bioware or any other RPG devs poll that ask the same question? Its always like 80% good. Prisoners are no different. Most of the prison pop is nonviolent. Average folk. Of the violent offenders most of them are in for misdemeanor assaults (which includes middle fingers, and bad language) that led to felony convictions for one of two reasons. Either it was part of a domestic violence situation and they broke more than two no-contact orders or they stole something which leads to a strong arm robbery charge even if all they did was wiggle after being tackled.

OminousBlueDot

Educated
And here the Conservative party wishes to push harder laws to keep those sort in prison longer, Kaan. Though, they do have the sense to at least up the porole requirements for first-degree murderers.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
And at the same time they are against subsidizing advanced education which in a vacuum I can understand. The problem is when you combine it with the deunionizing of the American workforce and the death of manufacturing. You end up with low income jobs that are just too low income and unstable to benefit folks that cant afford a bachelors. Meanwhile if you want to sell drugs business is booming. They are always hiring and the entry level pay is strong

We could cut our jail/prison pop to 1/6 of what it is easy and would not affect the safety of the public at all. 1/3 of the people just should not be there. They are there simply to feed the criminal justice system. People catch domestic violence charges off of hearsay. No injuries just mandatory arrest laws and vindictive lovers or family. If someone is on probation and they fail a UI for weed they go to jail, in some states you can go to jail for failure to pay child support.

Another 2/3s are people selling real dope. Just decriminalize it. Make them pay a fine. Why use tax dollars to sit them down for a three meals, spades and dominoes? Most of the time you cant tell if they are using or selling so you have to spend thousands on an investigation that rarely turns up anything conclusive so the charges are dropped to possession. In this economy they are going to get out and do the same thing anyway. So whats the point?

The last 1/3 is for people that need cuffs on and need to be taken off the streets. However of that 1/3 half of them are mental. Most likely its drugs. I met one of those barista bandits that went around robbing women in bikinis, broad daylight, no getaway car, busy intersection. When I met him he was the most ordinary Joe you would ever meet. Matter of fact he was a real geek. He was the type to play D&D in prison. At the time he was just so sprung on heroin that he actually thought it was a good lick.

Folks like that probably do need punishment in the form of jail time but the time after their jail stint in prison would be better off spent in a mental hospital where people aren't smuggling opiates in their bowels.

Most of the final 1/6 aren't bad people. They simply did something that bad. For most it wasn't rape murder bad. Just bad enough. Like breaking their girlfriends nose. Bitch probably deserved it... Yeah yeah yeah... Doesn't matter. The majority of that 1/6 would be people on their 3rd+ DUI. You could house arrest many of those idiots. I sympothize for many caught in the criminal justice's racket but I often draw a line with people that get too many DUIs. Still I keep that on a case by case because I know you can get a DUI parked and if someone is responsible enough not to drive then come on...

analt

Scholar
Ironically enough, this prison is a few hours away from where D&D was invented in the first place.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Stainless Veteran said:
Emily (prison librarian) said:
I have found that these men here absolutely love fantasy and science fiction books. Twilight is a hot commodity here and I have already had a few of the books stolen and then anonymously returned; they must not want to admit that they are reading these popular teen books!
(src)

Sure they love twilight. It's a fantasy where they could rape every chick they want. Ever realized that Edward treats her like shit the entire time and absuses her? Hey there is even a baby pedo.

You guys just don't read twilight right.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Back when I had a job, my boss read Twilight, and she tried to get everyone else in the office to read it.

I don't work there anymore.

tehRPness

Educated
Nice to know that should I ever end up in prison, I'll be the evil DM mastermind who orchestrates the murder of the guards and the immaculate escape of all prisoners. Onwards, I lead my D&D Clan into the wilderness, where we build a new society. Of tolerance and equity. Of freedom of mind and speech. Of free crack cocaine for all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom