Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D Online not using the Forgotten Realms setting???

I just heard that DDO (D&D Online) will use a setting called Eberron???

Forgive an ignorant fool.... but ......... what is Eberron supposed to be???

Why are they using an obscure setting as opposed to the popular Forgotten Realms setting???

I was tempted to give it a try, but now I am not so sure.

What do you think??

Tiliqua

Liturgist
I just don't get it. Are D&D fans so conservative that if it isn't in the Forgotten Realms then it isn't playable?

The Chinese say "the more things change, the more they stay the same".
I think if you're a fan of D&D then it's vital that the game does not become moribund and that it tries new settings and ideas.

Neverwhere

Novice
Never quite understood why they abandonned their most interesting (Planescape, Dark Sun) and their most heroic (Dragonlance) settings only to create Eberron. From what I have read about it, it is something of a cyperpunk-fantasy setting. Don't know whether that is what the world really has been waiting for.

As for FR, there has been a fair share of CRPGs set on Toril. I would have loved some more Planescape or Dark Sun, but now this doesn't seem to be too realistic. Or will their be d20 licenses for computer games as well?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I'd like to read some good novels based in the Eberron universe if they can ever get someone good to write about them, because I'm not interested in this MMORPG (or any MMORPG, since it's likely going to be just another variation of EQ). I'm deathly afraid of touching any of the Dragonlance novels. Even Salvatore's are better than those.

Neverwhere

Novice
Exitium said:
I'm deathly afraid of touching any of the Dragonlance novels. Even Salvatore's are better than those.

The first three were okay when I was 13-14. However, I'm not sure whether even that would have been the case if I was a native speaker. Judging by how much I loathed the German translation, that is.

As for good fantasy literature, I wonder. Probably Eco's Baudolino? But I guess he wouldn't write any Eberron books...

Tiliqua said:
I just don't get it. Are D&D fans so conservative that if it isn't in the Forgotten Realms then it isn't playable?

The Chinese say "the more things change, the more they stay the same".
I think if you're a fan of D&D then it's vital that the game does not become moribund and that it tries new settings and ideas.

Never said anything about Forgotten Realms being the only setting that is playable.

Bujt why use an obscure setting that many fans know nothing about??? as opposed to a setting that has endured for many years and that is easily recognisable by most if not every fans???

Already many tried to release MMORPGs and failed miserably (as some Evercrack fans constantly brag about every chances they get).

So why make a new MMORPG and make sure that you start the production with already 2 strikes against you??

I know many people (even some Evercrack addicts)who were tempted to give this game a try assuming that it would be set in the Forgotten Realms. But now it won't happen. And I can easily understand why.

And it has nothing to do with not wanting new ideas or new settings.

Forgotten Realms was a new setting too once to those of us who were playing D&D in the Greyhawk world. Dragonlance was a new setting once too. As was Dark Sun. And it did not stop me from enjoying them.

Just as I did not like Spelljammer, Planescape or Ravenloft despite the fact that these games were using the D&D rules just as the other games were.

So do not even try say that I am an "anti new settings/new ideas" D&D fan.

Would you play a "Casper the friendly ghost" game if it used the D&D rules since it features a new setting??

I know I wouldn't, and it would not be because I am against new settings/ideas.

Thank you. :twisted: :roll: :twisted:

Neverwhere said:
Never quite understood why they abandonned their most interesting (Planescape, Dark Sun) and their most heroic (Dragonlance) settings only to create Eberron. From what I have read about it, it is something of a cyperpunk-fantasy setting. Don't know whether that is what the world really has been waiting for.

As for FR, there has been a fair share of CRPGs set on Toril. I would have loved some more Planescape or Dark Sun, but now this doesn't seem to be too realistic. Or will their be d20 licenses for computer games as well?

Never was interested in Planescape. Although I loved Planescape; Torment.

Dark Sun was fun at first, but it got old real fast. Having every character being psionists was a nice change at first, but it was not enough to keep the game interesting.

Dragonlance was a fun setting. But they killed it with Dragonlance 5th age or something trying to make the game being played with cards to try to attract the hordes of Magic fans at the time. Although there was rumors that Weis and Hickman were adapting the setting to 3rdE rules.

From what I heard/read about Eberron, it seems similar to Arcanum, but with "attitude" :twisted: :roll: :twisted:. "Eberron is Attitude" says the official site.
Does not seem like that much of a new idea. "the more things change, the more they stay the same". That is true.

Neverwhere

Novice
Zhen Dil Oloth said:
Dragonlance was a fun setting. But they killed it with Dragonlance 5th age or something trying to make the game being played with cards to try to attract the hordes of Magic fans at the time. Although there was rumors that Weis and Hickman were adapting the setting to 3rdE rules.
Well, according to the Dragonlance website, 3rd edition Dragonlance is being developed by Sovereign Press (Margaret Weis's company). It obviously is being developed under a d20 license.

The d20 licensing system was introduced when WoTC swallowed TSR. They thought that TSR's operating losses were, at least in part, due to the number of different products (gaming worlds) they maintained. So the new system allows some of these worlds to be developed, under license, by third parties. And of course WoTC has the right to use any improvements made by these third parties in their own games. Non-reciprocal licenses really are a good way of keeping control while minimizing risk... bastards...

As for the Dragonlance world itself, I never cared for anything after the 1st edition rule book. I never really cared for any of the novels (except the Chronicles, and that was when I more than 10 years ago), so I am happily unaware of how they slaughtered the setting.

Zhen Dil Oloth said:
From what I heard/read about Eberron, it seems similar to Arcanum, but with "attitude" :twisted: :roll: :twisted:. "Eberron is Attitude" says the official site.
Does not seem like that much of a new idea. "the more things change, the more they stay the same". That is true.
Well, Arcanum minus the science... could be okay, but I'm not convinced yet.

Anonymous

Eberron is Forgotten Realms tailored to be marketable in many forms.

Voss

Erudite
Its the new setting. Of course they're going to highlight it.
And its much more consistent and workable than FR as well. No hodge-podge of junk tacked onto the original work. (and it isn't cyber-fantasy, by the by, Neverwhere, not even vaguely. It isn't even steampunk fantasy)
And its been public knowledge that Online is going to be Eberron for what, a year? Where have you been?

Neverwhere

Novice
Voss said:
and it isn't cyber-fantasy, by the by, Neverwhere, not even vaguely. It isn't even steampunk fantasy
Well, the website speaks of a world "ravaged by centuries of war", and of "devastation", etc etc. I used the word cyberpunk, not cyber-fantasy. To me, that word fits pretty well with that description, except that sci-fi is replaced by fantasy.

As regards consistency, FR has been worked on by far too many designers and authors (or people euphemistally so called). Nevertheless, if one discards all the garbage novels and goes back to the core setting, it is pretty workable.

Voss

Erudite
then you need to learn what cyberpunk actually means.

Focus particularly on the root words
cyber
and
punk

Neverwhere

Novice
Voss said:
then you need to learn what cyberpunk actually means.

Focus particularly on the root words
cyber
and
punk

Well that was clever :D .

I don't see why "punk" would not go with what I wrote. And it should be fairly obvious that cyber and fantasy are mutually exclusive. But if you insist on being a smart-ass, you could point that out to me again.

To make it clear: what I meant to say was that Eberron seems to be fantasy with a cyberpunk feel to it. Now that might of course be totally wrong, given that I have only read some of the info on the website. But then I never claimed to have read anything more than that.

Voss

Erudite
Then why comment on something you know almost nothing about? And just so you know, it is totally wrong.

as for punk, its largely a musical genre, with heavy subculture overtones that simply don't fit Eberron. Particularly, the pseudo-Victorian/film noir action-adventure atmosphere crossed with generic D&D that characterizes it.

As for cyber and fantasy being mutually exclusive...
well. No, not as such... Shadowrun: cyberpunk fantasy in it's most well known incarnation.

and as for cyberpunk equals 'ravaged by centuries of war' and 'devastion', which is what you were getting at further above, no. It doesn't. Go read some.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I don't know anything about Eberron's universe so I'll decline to comment. However, it would be nice if they went with thaumaturgy as a science as a substitute for cyberpunk science.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Magic-powered technology. Using stuff like Nordic runes instead programming, and mana crystals instead of fuel, for example. Golems.

Neverwhere

Novice
Voss said:
Then why comment on something you know almost nothing about?
That's what this forum is largely about, so why do you whine? Thanks for the update on Eberron, nevertheless.

Btw, I am familiar with the genre insofar as it is based on the Necromancer novels. And I don't think that an analogy between film noir and cyberpunk is that far-fetched. Over and out.

JanC

Liturgist
I think you are looking for the word "Steampunk" rather than "Cyberpunk"
Eberron is steampunk, but not quite so focused on scientific advance as Arcanum. It has interesting new races such as the feral Shifter and the half-robotic Warforged.
All in all, it is a cyberpunk version of the Forgotten Realms, to my eye, but without the richness of detail that time has given the FR. This is both an advantage and a disadvantage.

Tiliqua

Liturgist
I just got back from a few days camping and saw this thread is still limping along.

I don't get your argument Zhen, you claim not to be against new settings and yet you condemn Eberron out of hand. Even to my tired old brain, "this does not compute". So I won't say that you're an "anti new settings/new ideas" D&D fan." I will say however that you're very confused and need a lie down.

Why not wait until D&DO is released before passing judgement?

Voss

Erudite
JanC said:
I think you are looking for the word "Steampunk" rather than "Cyberpunk"
Eberron is steampunk, but not quite so focused on scientific advance as Arcanum. It has interesting new races such as the feral Shifter and the half-robotic Warforged.
All in all, it is a cyberpunk version of the Forgotten Realms, to my eye, but without the richness of detail that time has given the FR. This is both an advantage and a disadvantage.

It isn't steampunk though. There's no real technology past the generic late medieval/early rennaissance that is the default for D&D settings. There are magic driven devices and vehicles- airships (as in sailing ships flying in the sky driven by bound elementals), and an elemental powered train limited to a magically empowered 'track'. the 'robotic' warforged are magically created, fully sentient and ensouled, and made largely of natural materials (wood, metal and stone). The most accurate thing to say is there is magi-tech (magic imitating/powering later techonological innvoations.

If you want to compare it to the FR, the best way to describe it is less high magic (high level characters are extremely rare... most friendly/neutral NPCs top out around 12th level. No Elminsters wandering around) and more utilitarian magic. Continual flame lanterns on street corners, cantrips and first level spells being used by a fair percentage of the population for cleaning, repair, aiding travel and the like. Gods way off in the distance and more or less unapproachable. NPC spellcasters are more likely to be adepts or magewrights (new NPC class. practical magic... for example a new spell for them gives bonuses on craft checks), rather than clerics or wizards.

Threats, of course, can range the entire scale of level/CR. But the immediate ones in the civilized areas don't range to godlike... but they're out there in the background if the DM needs them.

Ortchel

Liturgist
This must be the first time the D&D license wasn't used to make maximum profit. I wonder why they would do this.

It must have elves with white hair.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom