Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D is reinforcing an Anglo-centric view of the world...

Melcar

Arcane
D&D is "racist" and so un-PC. It's what makes it special. The day it stops being that way is when... shit, lost my train of though.

mountain hare

Scholar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kara-Tur

Oriental Adventures is the title shared by two hardback rulebooks published for different versions of the Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) fantasy roleplaying game. Each version of Oriental Adventures provides rules for adapting its respective version of D&D for use in campaign settings based on the Far East, rather than the medieval Europe-setting assumed by most D&D books. Both versions of Oriental Adventures include example campaign settings.

OMFG D&D BEIN' ANGLO ETHNOCENTRIC!

Zomg

Arbiter
Eh, Oriental Adventures is a pretty good example of soft Eurocentrism, because it's a random mishmash of Oriental cultures and timeframes that's designed be exotic rather than meet the low bar of internal consistency and detail TSR usually demanded from 1st edition AD&D settings. I.e. it was created and sold on shallow xenophilia, like a 15 year old weeaboo jerking off at the barest hint of an epicanthic fold.

oscar

Arcane
I really don't see the problem with everyone being white in a game with a medieval European setting. Maybe the occasional black or Arab trader or something but the "lol ther should be a big happe multikulturel villag3" really is rage inducing.

Mr. Wednesday

Scholar
I can't believe this thread went a page and a half with no one mentioning Arcanum. Although not D&D, Arcanum actually deals with racial prejudice in a way that most D&D games avoid. You all should be ashamed.

kris

Arcane
Somehow I think that Nigerian writers wouldn't discuss why they only have black characters in their books. Then again, maybe they have a token white? John Cleese could play him, just like in Jade empire.

that said, I just got nervous and am about to put in a black, asian and hispanic into my book.

Beans00

Augur
who gives a shit about rag heads spicks chinks or niggers, fuck white people suck too so who gives a shit, fucking faggots

dagorkan

Arbiter
Zomg said:
Eh, Oriental Adventures is a pretty good example of soft Eurocentrism, because it's a random mishmash of Oriental cultures and timeframes that's designed be exotic rather than meet the low bar of internal consistency and detail TSR usually demanded from 1st edition AD&D settings. I.e. it was created and sold on shallow xenophilia, like a 15 year old weeaboo jerking off at the barest hint of an epicanthic fold.
LOL, so true

Humanophage

Arcane
What a ridiculous accusation. Post-AD&D rulebooks are heavily packed with characters sporting non-white features. African braids are almost an obligatory attribute, many characters have abnormal noses, lips, eyes, and cheekbones, though that could be a result of the new clunky art direction. Many humans are obviously mixed. Elves tend to look like Pocahontas (see this, for instance), whereas in the past they used to look ultra-Nordic. The drow have suffered a particularly strong blow, turning from elves with unnaturally black skin (it's supposed to be a curse) into some Dravidian-Amerindians.

Ron Obvious

Novice
I'm surprised to see this type of exposé written post-election. The television told me that if I elect Obama, race issues would evaporate and I wouldn't have to feel guilty anymore.

In fact, I was just thinking about that today. As a white man, it makes me so proud to have elected a half-white man to the highest office. It's about time we had a white president.

Lurkar

Scholar
If anything, it's the vidya that's bad for never leaving the fucking Sword Coast.

Actually, amusingly enough, it WAS company policy in TSR to make a human white male fighter the center for just about everything. When Wizards bought D&D, in 3rd edition, the developers and artists were ecstatic they no longer had to do that, and made the fighter icon the dwarf. Then marketing came by. Enter Regdar. The art team did what they could to make him racially ambiguous, but eventually decided on a more passive aggressive form of protesting. Try to count the number of D&D books and materials that have Regdar in the art and don't have him being attacked, consumed, or killed by the monsters.

Rhalle

Magister
The trope of 'racism is eeeevil' that inevitably involves the player siding with a misunderstood and downtrodden faction, one persecuted only because they are different :cry:, is cloying and boring and intellectually insulting.

I could just watch Sesame Street if I wanted to be subjected to that, and it would probably be more entertaining.

Part of the charm of an atavistic fantasy universe is its rigid racial and ethnic distinctions and attendant xenophobia.

So what if it's Eurocentric?

If, say, Asians want to make an Asian-centric game, that would be their prerogative; and their game would be all the more fun in the playing it because it was.

aron searle

Arcane
You know i hate that they cast a black woman to play gwen or whatever in merlin, because she's playing a charachter in medievil england that was white as white.

It harkens back to the days when men had to play women, humanity is just stupid.

/inane rambling

Ausir

Arcane
Mr. Wednesday said:
I can't believe this thread went a page and a half with no one mentioning Arcanum. Although not D&D, Arcanum actually deals with racial prejudice in a way that most D&D games avoid. You all should be ashamed.

As does The Witcher (and the books it's based on).

Data4

Arcane
Melcar said:
D&D is "racist" and so un-PC. It's what makes it special. The day it stops being that way is when... shit, lost my train of though.

Here, I'll finish it. We- at least I-- play these games to get away from the bullshit that permeates "real life". When I roll up a D&D character, my concern is this: What faction am I a part of? What is my skill set? What perks are available to me as I increase my character's experience? What kind of phat lewtz are there waiting for me? Who is warring with whom? How can I leverage rivalries in my favor? Does this +3 Bastard Sword give me an edge against my foes?

What I DON'T want to be concerned about is fairness, political correctness, equality, conservatism vs. liberalism, gay rights, civil rights, racism between EARTH-BOUND RACES THAT DON'T NECESSARILY HAVE TO HAVE AN EXACT FUCKING COUNTERPART IN MY GOD DAMNED GAMES, etc.

Redeye

Arcane
The failure to market AD&D to inner-city negroes is absolute and total proof of racism.

Instead of the crack wars of the 1980s we could have had an entire generation of dark-skinned furries and cheeto-overdosing fat computer-science major african-americans.

moar proof

Argosy

Novice
As does The Witcher (and the books it's based on).
The Witcher(the game at least) tries a bit too hard and it comes off as disingenuous. The usage of the term non-human in the game seems horribly artificial to me.

Ausir

Arcane
The Witcher(the game at least) tries a bit too hard and it comes off as disingenuous. The usage of the term non-human in the game seems horribly artificial to me.

Sounds OK in Polish to me. Maybe they should have found a better translation of the term instead of translating it literally.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom