Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I just picked up the Temple of Elemental Evil board game, and played a few quick solo games to learn the rules. Pretty awesome game IMO!

Andhaira

Arcane
It's out!

http://www.enworld.org/forum/conten...it-someone-got-the-book-(Not-me)#.VincLyvQt96

The info:

I'am trying to compile the answers here by those who have new information. The answers do not represent me in anyway I'am just passing on the information.

Q: Name all the subclasses (submitted by me)

A:

Not really interested in spoiling all of the specifics, but here's what I noticed to be new at first glance:
Races:
Gray Dwaves (Duergar)
Ghostwise Halflings
Deep Gnomes (Svirfneblin) -- also provides a new feat "Svirfneblin Magic" (same as EE)
Half-Elf Variants
Tiefling Variants

Classes (only new class options, not new classes):
Barbarian - Path of the Battlerager, new Totem Spirits
Bard - New musical instruments
Cleric - Arcana Domain
Fighter - Purple Dragon Knight
Monk - Way of the Long Death, Way of the Sun Soul
Paladin - Oath of the Crown
Ranger - Several paragraphs that amount to nothing
Rogue - Mastermind Swashbuckler
Sorcerer - Storm Sorcery
Warlock - The Undying
Wizard - Bladesinging

New cantrips for sorcerers, warlocks, and wizards
Booming blade, green-flame blade, lightning lure, sword burst.

Backgrounds:
City Watch
Clan Crafter
Cloistered Scholar
Courtier
Faction Agent
Far Traveler
Inheritor
Knight of the Order
Mercenary Veteran
Urban Bounty Hunter
Uthgardt Tribe Member
Waterdhavian Noble
This only covers about 50 pages of the almost 160 page book. There's a TON of info on the Sword Coast itself. I'm sure DMs who already have the book are salivating at the moment.

Q: No Bard, Ranger or Druid subclasses?

A:
There are new bard colleges. I only listed non-flavor changes (in my opinion at least each one is paired with an existing class option so nothing new in terms of mechanics.
-Q2: Wait WHAT? So the Bard Colleges AND Druid Circles don't list fully new subclasses that offer new mechanics to that class? And no "spell-less" Ranger variant or anything?

-A2: Correct on all accounts.

Q: Monk Subclasses specifics

A: Sun Soul gives the monk methods of dealing radiant damage. Burning hands makes an appearance as well.It seems almost too obvious, but all of the Long Death abilities are triggered by death in some way - either yours or an enemy.

Q: Warlock the Undying

A: Hard to explain. It's Lich-like, but not undead it seems.

Q: Paladin Oath of the Crown

A: The new paladin oath is a straight up tank. They seem to have added a ton more detail for the paladin codes. Too much to go into here.

Q: Fighter Purple Dragon Knight

A:Party buffs/heals. Would be a good party leader out of combat as well.

Q: How do the Half elf and tiefling variants work?

A: Tiefling variants are pretty different. I'm not next to my book currently, but I believe there were three options. Half elf replaced the half elf skill dealy with a selection from the elf half. Like Drow magic replacing the skill selection for example.

Q: What does it say about Aasimar?

A: It basically just says, "See the DMG.

(I guess that makes Eldarin valid as well)

Edit 1: Did some cleaning, added cantrips and explanation that is not me giving the answers.

Andhaira

Arcane
Bladesinger leak:

4RGKhUM.jpg

hBAeIHG.jpg

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Where does it say that you have to be Elf?
It doesn't, I was just making a reference to The Complete Book of Elves where Bladesingers originated AFAIK. It was a class kit that was better than every other class because elves are better than every other race.

Andhaira

Arcane

Geralt, nice! Looks pretty well done, though haven't read all that carefully. One of the subclasses could also make for a good Elric type character. They didn't appear to do the signs justice though; I think they could have used a way similar to the way they handled mutagens. Or make a custom small spell list.

Got anymore links to stuff like this?

J1M

Arcane
That witchhunter pdf is in a nice looking layout, and it is good that the class is primarily a fighter. Aside from that, there isn't a lot about witch hunting. The author appears to have confused hunting down magic users that pervert the laws of nature with some sort of non-divine cleric that fights undead.

I expected to see class features that focused on dispelling magical effects, sneaking up on and murdering wizards, finding and tracking unnatural creatures (ie. hunting), etc.

PS: The mutagen item being a no-save, utyped damage, kill for anyone that drinks it is super-overpowered.
Let dragon eat you. Uncork mutagen. Victory.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That Vin Diesel vid was kind of lame, but it led me to this:

What's great is that they converted an existing campaign from Pathfinder which means that 3.X horseshit is finally dying out. Gotta give Paizo credit for forcing WotC to up their game though.

quozl

Barely Literate
Frog God Games are doing a kickstarter for their Borderland Provinces sandbox campaign, plus a book of adventures set in the Borderland.
It's already almost funded with 3 weeks to go https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/froggodgames/the-lost-lands-borderland-provinces/
They're doing it for 5e, Pathfinder and Swords and Wizardry. I'm mostly interested in the 5e version as they're using that to test if there's enough interest for them to produce their other stuff for 5e, and I want their other mega-sandboxes converted to 5e!
If you don't know FGG, they're old-school style adventures and they're probably best known for mega-sandboxes like Slumbering Tsar or Sword of Air (both of which I have for the Pathfinder rule-set), or the mega dungeon Rappan Athuk.
They remind me of the modules I used to read as a kid - like Isle of Dread, and I'm planning on butchering a brave group of players in Slumbering Tsar when my current Rise of the Runelords campaign ends.

They're giving away a free adventure module as part of the kickstarter as a taster, I guess.
https://www.froggodgames.com/rogues-remballo
Endzeitgest reviewed it and gave it 5/5 and his seal of approval - http://endzeitgeist.com/rogues-remballo/ Which is pretty good! I downloaded it but I haven't read it yet. I'm hoping that someone else will GM it so I don't want to know the plot, especially as it's an investigation, I believe.

quozl

Barely Literate
I only discovered Critical Role through that D&Diesel video too, and now I'm planning on watching the series. The GM is seriously good. He'd make you feel inadequate. Or at least, he's making me feel it!

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is why we need more half-orcs who dream of the day when they too can become bladesingers.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
New Sword Coast book is out today. I ordered one from Amazon which left me with $0.30 in my bank account and a ten dollar bill my parents mailed to me in a Halloween card.

tdphys

Learned

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom