Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Latelistener

Arcane
It's Borderlands, so you may as well see something like this:

latest

Gerrard

Arcane
Ok, I'm gonna outdo your autism guys.

It's a "smartgun" from the demo, aka guided mini rockets launcher, that's why it doesn't have barrel and is supposed to be aimed only in a general direction of the target.
As for the size and weight, it can be made mostly from a composite material and be light, or can be designed to be handled by augumented users. I think this weapon design is great.
Doesn't explain why it doesn't even have a proper fucking grip at the front, there isn't even enough space to place your whole hand on. The magazine itself is the size of a brick, it would not be light even if the whole gun was made from polymers.

You can handwave everything by using prefix -cyber.

Too heavy to lift - no problem, because she has cyberhands!
She doesn't though, at least not at that point. In fact, there don't seem to be any stat requirements for using weapons at all.

E: ↓ In the PnP system you needed 5 points in a skill to be considered proficient with that type of weapons, but from what we've seen in the game you start at that level and have no trouble using whatever. Literally Bethesda level popamole.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Good. It is retarded that you cannot even try to use a weapon because you do not meet a "requirement".

Hear hear. Penalties are fine when they make sense of course -- and there could be special weapons with requirements (for example, a smartgun could require cyberware). But "you can't pick up and shoot this rifle because you haven't put any skill points in rifle/don't have sufficient STR/it's above your level/whatever is retarded.

Big Wrangle

What they should do is let you pick and use any weapon (except those that might need installing cyberware to use of course), but without enough gun skill points your airming will be pretty garbage, and it gets less shitty as you get closer to the required cap.

Yosharian

Arcane
What they should do is let you pick and use any weapon (except those that might need installing cyberware to use of course), but without enough gun skill points your airming will be pretty garbage, and it gets less shitty as you get closer to the required cap.
Mainstream can't handle this concept at all, and CDPR are chasing the mainstream console audience. Why else would they screen the first ever demo on a controller with bullet damage numbers and all that other garbage. Console players are shitting themselves in anticipation, CDPR couldn't aren't gonna give two shits about some kind of realistic weapon skill system.

Don't get me wrong, I would love that kind of system, but devs just don't have the balls to put that in a modern triple A game.

Yosharian

Arcane
Good. It is retarded that you cannot even try to use a weapon because you do not meet a "requirement".

Hear hear. Penalties are fine when they make sense of course -- and there could be special weapons with requirements (for example, a smartgun could require cyberware). But "you can't pick up and shoot this rifle because you haven't put any skill points in rifle/don't have sufficient STR/it's above your level/whatever is retarded.

By this logic, a waif girl could pick up a 40kg minigun and use it. Doesn't sound realistic to me. Strength requirements are perfectly fine.

The other things you mentioned I agree with.

Modron

Arcane
By this logic, a waif girl could pick up a 40kg minigun and use it. Doesn't sound realistic to me. Strength requirements are perfectly fine.
Yeah but things like you only have 27 str and this weapon requires 28 is kind of goofy, I think a say a threshold of a couple points wherein you can still equip and use said weapon albeit at increasing penalties the further away from the required stat would be better than all or nothing.

Prime Junta

A 40 kg minigun would definitely qualify as having special requirements, like augmented strength. No normal human could pick up and use it effectively.

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah but things like you only have 27 str and this weapon requires 28 is kind of goofy, I think a say a threshold of a couple points wherein you can still equip and use said weapon albeit at increasing penalties the further away from the required stat would be better than all or nothing.
Ok yeah, that I do agree with.

Sykar

Arcane

Making an utterly absurd exception to prove a point? The vast majority of weapons can be used by anyone. That was part of the reason they were made in the first place apart from the increase in killing power.

Yosharian

Arcane

Making an utterly absurd exception to prove a point? The vast majority of weapons can be used by anyone. That was part of the reason they were made in the first place apart from the increase in killing power.
How is that absurd? A 1-strength character in any of the Fallout games has the strength of a waif girl pretty much, it's not absurd at all. What you're saying is that it makes complete sense for a 1-strength character in Fallout to wield a fucking minigun, or a rocket launcher, or a gatling laser. Absurd my ass.

Because I know you're going to wriggle out of it like a little bitch, here's what Sykar wrote:

"It is retarded that you cannot even try to use a weapon because you do not meet a "requirement""

And you wrote 'hear hear'. You didn't say 'hear hear except for heavy weapons'. You agreed 100% with what he said. So stop with the desperate backpeddling.

Last edited:

Trithne

Erudite

How is that absurd? A 1-strength character in any of the Fallout games has the strength of a waif girl pretty much, it's not absurd at all. What you're saying is that it makes complete sense for a 1-strength character in Fallout to wield a fucking minigun, or a rocket launcher, or a gatling laser. Absurd my ass.

Because I know you're going to wriggle out of it like a little bitch, here's what Sykar wrote:

"It is retarded that you cannot even try to use a weapon because you do not meet a "requirement""

And you wrote 'hear hear'. You didn't say 'hear hear except for heavy weapons'. You agreed 100% with what he said. So stop with the desperate backpeddling.

Works better in Fallout anyway because of the less granular stat scale. When each number reflects a wider range of the feature, being one off feels less dumb (6 vs 7 on a 10-scale as opposed to 69 vs 70 on a 100-scale)

It's always better to apply a penalty that scales off how far short you fall from the requirement anyway.

Mainstream can't handle this concept at all, and CDPR are chasing the mainstream console audience. Why else would they screen the first ever demo on a controller with bullet damage numbers and all that other garbage. Console players are shitting themselves in anticipation, CDPR couldn't aren't gonna give two shits about some kind of realistic weapon skill system.

Don't get me wrong, I would love that kind of system, but devs just don't have the balls to put that in a modern triple A game.
Mainstream games can't handle this feature that's been in many mainstream games? Tell me more.

Trithne

Erudite
I wish this wasn't open world.

If anything it feels like they are reeling in the wide open spaces of nothing in favor of more content density..

Which is a good thing.

How long until we reach Warren Spector's ideal "game that takes place entirely in a single city block?"

Although to be fair, that's entirely appropriate for a cyberpunk game.

Modron

Arcane
How long until we reach Warren Spector's ideal "game that takes place entirely in a single city block?"

Although to be fair, that's entirely appropriate for a cyberpunk game.

Yakuza 0 is basically a couple saturated blocks.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I have to give them props for trying.. Open world is only shit when you stretch 20 hours of content across 400 miles of game space and plug the holes with procedural shit in between.
If anyone is going to accomplish it on a macro scale - it's probably CDPR.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I have to give them props for trying.. Open world is only shit when you stretch 20 hours of content across 400 miles of game space and plug the holes with procedural shit in between.
If anyone is going to accomplish it on a macro scale - it's probably CDPR.

This.

The term "open world" has been slundered a lot this decade. Open world is the ideal way to make most games. The only reason we didn't have many open world games decades ago was because of technical restrictions. Once computers and consoles became more powerful, open world games became more common. And they slaughtered everything else, because they are simply superior.

Now, making a game open world is expensive, and not all genres benefit equally from it, so many sane developers realize that it is better for them to make linear games (Tomb Raider reboot for example) or hub-based (Deus Human Revolution/Mankind Divided) because they want to have more detailed environments and a more intense experience and they don't have the resources to make the game truly open world.

Nasty developers however, realize that open world is a buzzword that sells games because everyone used to respect open world games, so they label their shit openworld, they stretch their pitiful resources tremendously, add grinding, repetition, procedural generation, etc. Gamers play these abominations and then conclude "open world sucks".

No, open world does not suck. True open world games are fantastic. The original Gothic was an open world RPG that was AWESOME for example!

Prime Junta

Dude, I specifically mentioned that there could be exceptions if they make sense, such as smartguns requiring cyberware. An anime handheld howitzer would def fall in the same category. I’m sure you can think of others. We were talking about the very common gamey trope of slapping arbitrary stat or skill restrictions on normal weapons designed for normal human beings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom