Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sentinel

Arcane
FPS games have existed for 30 years. It was only yesterday that people started having headaches.

Xeon

Augur
Hopefully in the future Infinitron might be able to convince DU to send someone to next events for interviews.

Why do all people think that cyberpunk=eternal darkness?

Blade Runner did this.

First I winced too but now I like the idea of cyberpunk in a futuristic Southern California town.

I was a little surprised by the generic cyberpunk reactions in the E3 thread. Like I can get someone not liking the direction they've gone with this, but colorful sunny California isn't exactly the setting you usually see in cyberpunk. Cyberpunk is usually dark, dank, and dilapidated.

HansDampf

Arcane
Vampire tmb and new vegas shows a proper rpg can be done in first person pov and shootan elements.

I am not extraordinarily worried about the view.
VtMB and F:NV you can play both in first person and third person. Only in dialog are you forced into first person view. CP77 does almost the opposite. It really is more like Deus Ex.
Does it make much of a difference?

KK1001

Arbiter
Can't believe the sheer number of idiots who want to play a third person shooter in the year of our lord 2018. First-person is the superior choice for a number of reasons that have already been stated (seeing the HUD, detail of things up close, hard to do cramped urban corridors in third person).

First people bitched that it was too much like GTA (you're not going to have as much freedom with the car, thankfully) and now they want it to be played in third person?

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
I'm...curious about one thing, and shocked that no journalist have asked or try this. What happen if you shoot in the crowd and start killing NPCs, creating havok like in GTA? Can you do it or is it like TW3? Is there a police system?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm...curious about one thing, and shocked that no journalist have asked or try this. What happen if you shoot in the crowd and start killing NPCs, creating havok like in GTA? Can you do it or is it like TW3? Is there a police system?
I imagine dependng on which district you're in, a big proportion of the crowd may also start shooting back.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Cyberpunk is usually dark, dank, and dilapidated.

Well William Gibson lived and wrote in Vancouver, no wonder it's always raining in his cyberpunk.

Maybe we'd have a very different idea what cyberpunk is if he lived in San Diego.

Also if you've been anywhere in Southern Asia you know places can be totally dilapidated and sunny and cheery at the same time. Read Ian McDonald's "River of Gods" set in futuristic India. It's probably the best cyberpunk ever written (better than anything Gibson has created) and it has a very different vibe.

Quillon

Arcane
I doubt a lot of people played or even tried first person in GTA5, probably everyone played it like the previous games.

Someone said there was wall walking or something, not sure why implement that other than it helps with stealth or pass security without being seen or something.

giphy.gif

I think wall running in video games and stealth isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind. It's far more prevalent in action games.

Dat is Total Overdose rip off!

Suchy

Arcane
Some more info in potatospeak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzrRkoAEmt4

Not gonna point everything, just stuff I haven't seen before in this thread:

- Reminds of Deus Ex, but without budget restrictions and no censorship.
- It's possible to shoot through some walls
- Bullets ricochet - this can be used to your advantage; there's an enhancement that calculates and displays the trajectory - for the moles that won't pop
- Bullet time is not really bullet time - you can use a drug that increases reflexes
- You can use implanted mantis blades to attach yourself to a wall
- There are cutscenes when installing implants
- Everyone's a selfish asshole
- There's some kind of crafting
- There was a minor boss fight with a heavy armed dude - the player can destroy power generator of his exoskeleton

Last edited:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Is this really the case? People have problems when they see world through eyes of character instead from Third Person? How does that exactly work? Do they have problems as they live with moving&running?
Is it actuall disabillity? I find it hard to believe that perspective may cause such problems.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hopefully in the future Infinitron might be able to convince DU to send someone to next events for interviews.

It's not about convincing DU, it's about finding somebody in the Los Angeles area willing and able to visit the hellscape that is the E3 Expo for multiple days in a row and then write a bunch of shit about it, all for free.

I'm not sure that people realize how one of a kind Bubbles was for this type of stuff. His meltdown was a real loss for us.

Perkel

Arcane
Run kickstarter for 10k for RPGcodex interview division.
Find whore on craiglist.
Pay whore 9 grands and use random chosen codexer from volunteers living in US.
Give codexer 500$ and promise other 500$ when he comes back and will have interview.

Now is the kicker. The whore will be the one asking questions, written by codexer.

edit: Honestly speaking in era where dudes make thousands of bucks from accesories mods to Sims i think we could come up with few grands for dex raiding party on bigger events.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
We have our man Chris Avellone there, I'm sure he will write a bit about it if we ask nicely.

it's about finding somebody in the Los Angeles area willing and able to visit the hellscape that is the E3 Expo for multiple days in a row and then write a bunch of shit about it for free.
Not exactly for free, the pass alone costs around 1000$ (for 3 days) AFAIK and you have to live somewhere during that time and eat something.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

His meltdown was a real loss for us.
It's just a matter of time before a Codexer melts down. Particularly a useful one.

We should come up with a name for it. Medical tradition is to name a disease after the first diagnosed patient, so: Drogism

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Find whore on craiglist.
Well, it doesn't need to be an actual whore. There are plenty of people that do this sort of thing.

For example, companies often hire people on Craigslist to be secret shoppers to gather info on competitors.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Frankly, at the end of the day, it's not all that important. We get the information at the end, one way or another. If the Codex wants to interview devs, we can do that by email. And it's not like if we sent a guy to E3, he would be allowed to post Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay footage here or something.

Going to gaming conventions is only crucial if you're a site that needs to post BREAKING NEWS for the clicks. Otherwise it's purely a prestige thing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
We are much more prestigious than all the mainstream gaming journos at E3 anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom