Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Paul_cz

Arcane
I'd definitely play a Gwent TGC. And I think it'll have some good success, especially if CDP keeps their customer friendly approach.

About CP2077, CDP may wanna hurry up and release it. People have been waiting for it for years now, you don't want your game to be another HL3 case.

Eh, unlike Valve, CDP actually just released a huge singleplayer game they spent 4 years making. I think people will be tolerant of another 2-3 year wait for Cyberpunk (not that I have an idea about its release date).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
About CP2077, CDP may wanna hurry up and release it. People have been waiting for it for years now, you don't want your game to be another HL3 case.

Expect it in 2020 so they can use that as a selling point.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Someone really ought to make a cyberpunk game that takes place in 2020, released in the same year, with no sci-fi elements.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Someone really ought to make a cyberpunk game that takes place in 2020, released in the same year, with no sci-fi elements.

Donald Trump's America: 2020.

I hope Trump becomes President so he starts all his televised appearances with "Who loves you and who do you love?!" and The Running Man becomes reality in 2019.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
It's funny how all fiction dystopias look like better futures than what western societies will have.

masjid_3501266b.jpg

Can't wait.

Fargus

Arcane

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
http://kotaku.com/the-people-behind...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

A couple weeks ago, a rare dribble of info about Witcher creator CD Projekt’s next game, Cyberpunk 2077, hit the web. Multiple outlets reported that CDP is not working on the game in earnest, that they have to complete a major dev tool overhaul first. Problem: that’s not how game development works.

As CDP has stated in the past, a large portion of the studio began working on the ambitious open-world game in earnest around the time of The Witcher 3's release. During an interview at a recent Witcher 3: Blood and Wine event in San Francisco, visual effects artist Jose Texiera—the guy who was quoted in the previous round of stories about Cyberpunk—reiterated that to me.

“I mentioned that we were upgrading the engine based on the feedback everybody gave from The Witcher 3,” Texiera said. “We’re upgrading the engine. It’s a pretty thorough upgrade. Almost every aspect of the engine is getting upgraded. My particle effects editor is getting upgraded, as is almost every other tool.”

“But the article that was written online was worded in a slightly click-bait-y type way that made it sound like we haven’t even started really working on Cyberpunk yet,” he added. “I didn’t say that. We’re just upgrading the tools. That’s all I said. That’s something that any company that uses custom software has to do from time-to-time. That’s all.”

An engine is a software framework used for game creation. Some engines, like the Unreal Engine and Unity, are more widespread than others. The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk both use versions of CD Projekt’s custom REDengine, an in-house proprietary engine tailored to their particular needs. Development tool upgrades are actually a pretty regular thing with game engines, and they don’t necessarily impede progress. CDP’s learned a lot while working on Witcher 3 DLC and Cyberpunk. Naturally, they’re feeding that back into the engine’s capabilities and ease-of-use.

“The engine team took all the feedback, and they’re upgrading it,” said Texiera. “The hope is that it’ll allow us to do a lot more with the same engine. A lot more and faster. It’s still very much an ongoing process, but it’s promising stuff.”

Cyberpunk 2077 doesn’t have an exact release date yet, but there sure has been a lot of speculation about it. All we know for certain is that it won’t be out before 2017. Still, now you know how proprietary engines work, which might come in handy next time somebody tries to tell you that dev tool upgrades will delay a game’s release by a hundred-million years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Perkel wept: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-25-cyberpunk-2077-e3-cd-projekt

Don't expect Cyberpunk 2077 at E3 - or any time soon

There are whispers and speculation but I can tell you Cyberpunk 2077 will definitely not be at E3 this year. That comes from the horse's mouth: CD Projekt co-founder Marcin Iwinski himself.

"It might happen that we will be at E3 and we will show something at E3, but I just want to make it clear it's not Cyberpunk," he told me at Polish conference Digital Dragons recently. "We still have a lot of work to do with Cyberpunk."

I believe what CD Projekt Red will announce at E3 will be the game - or thing - it mentioned ina recent annual report. Under plans for 2016, CDPR mentioned, "A new type of video game format previously unexplored by the studio." That doesn't necessarily mean it's a game and doesn't necessarily mean it's coming out this year. But it could be both.

When I asked Iwinski if it will be this thing at E3 he said, "We will see." When I asked if we'll find out what it is at E3 he said, "Well, hopefully." And when I asked if it had anything to do with The Witcher he said, "Time will tell."

Cyberpunk won't be out before 2017 - something CDPR said in that same annual report - and perhaps it is even further away than that. That may seem surprising, given that it has been in development for a few years now - when I visited the studio in autumn 2013 there were 50 people upstairs already working on it (although I'm sure getting The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt out of the door had an impact) - but when you release a game celebrated like Witcher 3 was, perceptions also change.

"When you release a game like The Witcher and create the expansions, the perception is not the pre-Witcher 3 expectation," said Iwinski. "The bar is higher - and it's externally and internally as well.

"I cannot talk about plans but we have to adjust to it and also adjust our own ambitions. Assuming that we could have something out this year, if it will not be better than Witcher 3, people [will say], 'Hmm, wow, why is it not better?' Witcher 3 set a certain bar and we definitely cannot go lower. It's always about improving and making new, pretty stuff, [and] storytelling games and mechanics and what not."

There was a suggestion recently that CD Projekt Red had been able to raise its ambitions with Cyberpunk following the commercial success of The Witcher 3, which propelled the company to record revenues. But Iwinski was reluctant to add momentum to this train of thought.

"This is a tricky part here because we shouldn't really talk about Cyberpunk," said Iwinski, "but I'll give you one reason why. Every single time I say something like this, like 'yes we can invest...' - which is true, essentially - it makes big news. And I think this big news is sort of becoming, first of all, repetitive, and second, maybe a bit too bloated. We are not spinning it into big news, and we really want to expose anything to be perceived like a big ego."

He said he's watched these news stories prompt accusations that CD Projekt Red promises more and more with Cyberpunk but doesn't show anything, which is exactly the opposite of what it apparently wants to do. This has irked Iwinski.

"Right now it's the end of talking about Cyberpunk until we can go out there and show stuff and say, 'Hey, here it is,' because that's how we do games," he said. "There is too much talking about what it possibly could be, and how big, and...

"When we show it, we should show it and explain it. So I'm going to have people not read anything about Cyberpunk probably for the next... time," he added, choosing his words carefully, "whatever the time will be."

Cyberpunk 2077 was announced very early, in May 2012, as a way of driving awareness and talent to the Polish studio - something that was harder pre-Witcher 3. It was announced as a non-linear, mature role-playing game that will offer different player-character classes to choose from. That aspect of the game also opens Cyberpunk to multiplayer, which apparently it will have.

Cyberpunk 2077 will become the primary focus of CD Projekt Red following the 31st May release of second Witcher 3 expansion, Blood and Wine. Our review of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine is live now. We loved it.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Disappointing.

The hype will die down slowly, it already has. Meh. They should've worked on this first, and bitcher 3 after.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Is it really a surprise? I bet they don't want to repeat the same "here's something and now enjoy literally nothing for two years" they did earlier with that cinematic trailer. Add some delays to development and yeah, it's probably not even coming out in 2017. Won't stop people from making vaporware jokes, I guess.

eXalted

Arcane
If everyone was like Firaxis.

BAM! Civilization IV is coming!.... After 5 months!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom