Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Neanderthal

Arcane
Geralt's a chosen one, who exactly chose him? I thought he was simply implicated in the plot through circumstance and background, whereas Ciri was the chosen one by dint of the elder blood and source powers.

My own worry about Cyberpunk is the character creation and reactivity, all them Cyberpunk classes, all with different playstyles and special powers. They haven't done that before, and I mean a Solo is the usual playthrough style that we expect from Deus Ex or Shadowrun, but a Corporate Exec uses contacts and security, a Netrunner is not going to move from his apartment most likely, and a fucking Rock Star who knows how they're gonna implement that?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
My own worry about Cyberpunk is the character creation and reactivity, all them Cyberpunk classes, all with different playstyles and special powers. They haven't done that before, and I mean a Solo is the usual playthrough style that we expect from Deus Ex or Shadowrun, but a Corporate Exec uses contacts and security, a Netrunner is not going to move from his apartment most likely, and a fucking Rock Star who knows how they're gonna implement that?

Considering they're basing it on still in development Cyberpunk 2077 setting there's basically no reason to hold on to anything you know about Cyberpunk 2020 so far. We have yet to see if the new setting will be any good first or DOLLS IN DRESS-UP all over again.

Geralt's a chosen one, who exactly chose him? I thought he was simply implicated in the plot through circumstance and background, whereas Ciri was the chosen one by dint of the elder blood and source powers.

True, he isn't the spawn of a prophecy, like many in the trope. However, he exhibits many traits of the chosen one, with emphasis on being a unique specimen of his kind. I'm no uber fan of the series, having only played Witcher 2 (which was a "hate, hate, like" relationship if I ever had one), but I managed to make it through the full second game before realizing this -- there are no other Witchers like Geralt. It goes beyond mere skill, he has had mutations that no other Witcher in the history of Witchers has acquired, making him objectively the best Witcher around. So, to answer your question: whomever chose him for those mutagens. Personally, I liked it when he was just a regular Witcher, albeit one that has gotten lucky or skillful over time.

I don't think Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be a cRPG though. The same way Witcher 3 isn't. It only has the superfluous trappings of an RPG but in reality it's an action semi-sandbox with MMOish mechanics and a focus on "story" which isn't particularly good anyway. That's what CDPR have been doing for a while now and I don't see Cyberpunk 2077 being any different. I do hope I am wrong though, because I am looking forward to seeing where they go with the whole thing.

I don't see much MMO influence in the Witcher 2 or 3. Dragon Age: Inquisition, yes, but not Witcher. No emphasis on collect X quests, not without a twist at least, no villages of listless people just standing around to offer up quests, etc. Not saying you're dead wrong, there are people with exclamation points on the map waiting to doll out quests, I'm just curious what you were thinking specifically.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't see much MMO influence in the Witcher 2 or 3. Dragon Age: Inquisition, yes, but not Witcher. No emphasis on collect X quests, not without a twist at least, no villages of listless people just standing around to offer up quests, etc. Not saying you're dead wrong, there are people with exclamation points on the map waiting to doll out quests, I'm just curious what you were thinking specifically.

Mostly level-scaled items and mobs. Mobs don't level scale to *you* but they scale to the level of the zone. So you have 30th (random relatively high number) level bandits randomly hanging around who are tougher than mythical beasts you've fought 5 levels ago. High level trash mobs are a concept designed for MMOs, because there it makes sense from a gameplay perspective. The logic is the other way around for single player RPGs. Mobs there aren't/shouldn't be tough/powerful because they have levels, they have levels because they are powerful/tough.

Neanderthal

Arcane
True, he isn't the spawn of a prophecy, like many in the trope. However, he exhibits many traits of the chosen one, with emphasis on being a unique specimen of his kind. I'm no uber fan of the series, having only played Witcher 2 (which was a "hate, hate, like" relationship if I ever had one), but I managed to make it through the full second game before realizing this -- there are no other Witchers like Geralt. It goes beyond mere skill, he has had mutations that no other Witcher in the history of Witchers has acquired, making him objectively the best Witcher around. So, to answer your question: whomever chose him for those mutagens. Personally, I liked it when he was just a regular Witcher, albeit one that has gotten lucky or skillful over time.

Well that's not reflected in game really, and was just because his mam were a sorceress I think, nobody chose him to be special they just experimented more on him when initial shit worked well. I suppose you could say any Witcher is a chosen one, because most undertaking tests die, but no higher power chooses em they're just lucky or unfortunate depending on your take.

I can understand why you identify him as special, because books (mostly) and games follow him, but i'd say that he probably is a fairly normal-ish Witcher, does his job and accepts his profession with a few moans now and then. Now Letho him i'd say is atypical, abandons path, seeks to change Vipers role, making them imperial agents and servants of secular powers. More interesting to me, then again he's kind of a mirror image of Geralt isn't he?

Then again Letho's an anti chosen one, a proponent of self determination.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's this? An update to this thread that's actually about the game? http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/cd-p...-is-far-far-bigger-than-the-witcher-3/0156903

CD Projekt Red: 'Cyberpunk 2077 is far, far bigger than The Witcher 3'

8f96ced4119906757ee86ec744f97b67.png

Cyberpunk 2077, the next game from The Witcher developer CD Projekt Red, is the biggest title the studio has ever made.

The sci-fi-flavoured RPG was originally announced back in 2012, but the Polish outlet has remained quiet on specificities of the project since.

Now it has been revealed that the title will be ever grander in scale than the third and final entry in the developer’s sprawling fantasy series, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

“Cyberpunk is far bigger than anything else that CD Projekt Red has done before,” visual effects artist Jose Teixeira told MCV. “Far, far bigger.

“We're really stepping into the unknown in terms of complexity and size and problems we encounter.”

The Witcher 3 became the fastest-selling game in the UK during 2015 upon its release back in May, but was overtaken by the launch of fellow open-world title Batman Arkham Knight one month later.

Teixeira continued by saying that The Witcher 3’s scope had helped the studio to refine its open-world formula for Cyberpunk 2077.

"The Witcher helped Cyberpunk quite a bit, because the game got so big and so complex that it really taught us,” he explained. “We really didn't know what was going to happen.

“If anything, working on The Witcher 3 was a really good and often brutal learning experience. Cyberpunk is going to benefit greatly from it. I can almost guarantee it.

"I have a lot of things that I want to change and do better the next time around, and I can guarantee that almost everyone in that studio has something that they go 'I did this this time, next time I can do it differently, I can do it better'.”

Unsurprisingly, Teixeira refused to give any clues regarding a potential release window for the title.

“The name of the game is Cyberpunk 2077, and we usually say the release date is 2077,” he joked.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
The funny thing is, odds are it's going to be released somewhere around 2020.
Lets say it gets released in mid 2019 and is fully patched and content-enhanced in 2020.

As long as i get some believable Characters and a few good questlines like the one from "Bloody Baron", my inner storyfag is totally fine borderline able to cope with waiting so long.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I can't wait to search question marks with useless loot again!

God I hope they didn't ignore TW3 feedback because that game had the worst loot system ever devised for any otherwise good RPG ever. It was like buying a new Volvo and finding out someone shat all over the steering wheel.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
I hate Witcher 3 size,the land feels so empty and lifeless until you find a small village with a lousy contract and then hop on the horse again and spend another 10 minutes until you find another village and another crappy contract.They should stick with their Witcher 1-2 formula,make it a snugly tight experience.
And now they are making this game even bigger? Expect the content to be sparse because driving around a 140km lifeless map sure will be fun.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Oh D0g please no.
I don't wan't a game where you can't make two steps without hoping on a quest, monster or loot.
W3 was bordering the "to much" already.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
“Cyberpunk is far bigger than anything else that CD Projekt Red has done before,” visual effects artist Jose Teixeira told MCV. “Far, far bigger.

Not sure whether to get excited or worried. Witcher 3 already suffered from its size - repetition, lack of gameplay and character building opportunities to complement the size, overall slogging pace, over exposure of doing nothing, content bloat without enough variety...

If the game ends up as deserving the nickname "Witcher 2077" or "Grand Theft Cyberpunk", I think I'll give it a pass.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Night City isn't that massive as I remember, i'm hoping they're talking about a detailed cityscape, with all its different strata from the Zone to the Skyscrapers, like Vizima and the content for all the vastly different classes. If they're just making a massive stage, well W3 was alright, but suffered from a lack of focus, they should have seen how rich and full of potential No Man's Land was and centred everything around that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They are confusing freedom with vast open world it seems. The freedom you have in Age of Decadence or Fallout is not the same one you get in Witcher 3 and I think that's what they don't get. They are going with spectacle instead of complexity and Cyberpunk 2077 won't be any different. Imagine The Witcher 3: Bladerunner Edition and you'd get what Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be like... except the strong characters...and the great writing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They are confusing freedom with vast open world it seems. The freedom you have in Age of Decadence or Fallout is not the same one you get in Witcher 3 and I think that's what they don't get. They are going with spectacle instead of complexity and Cyberpunk 2077 won't be any different. Imagine The Witcher 3: Bladerunner Edition and you'd get what Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be like... except the strong characters...and the great writing.

Confused and not getting it? To be a triple-A RPG developer post-2011 is to be a developer of Skyrim clones. That's all they need to get.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Confused and not getting it? To be a triple-A RPG developer post-2011 is to be a developer of Skyrim clones. That's all they need to get.

I'm wondering how the world would react to CDPR releasing a game like Fallout or AoD in terms of freedom.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I imagine they'll do something similar to what GTA V did. Night City as the sole giant urban area and surrounding wasteland/badlands/whatever the hell it was for some nice nomading and road warrior action.

The main thing is though, it is difficult to make a proper urban environment in an open-world game. Large open plains are easy to do, a rather vertical urban landscape not so much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom