Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyber War College.

Jed

Cipher
Okay, I hope this won't be too silly of a thread, but I'm wondering which, if any, strategy games provide any sort of "education" in terms of real-world applicability to combat strategy and tactics. I'm not talking about which games are most "realistic," but rather those that teach--through whatever means--concepts of the strategies and tactics of warfare or combat.

Hell, for that matter, any games that teach any good thinking skills in terms of strategic, tactical, or logical thinking.

LCJr.

Erudite
I've seen references to the US Marines and the British using modifications of Atomic's Close Combat games as part of officer training. They're using the games not only for the tactics but because of the pyschological modeling.

Not sure what the correct term is for the tactics CC teaches. Fire and maneuver I guess is close enough. You can't just send a unit charging across open ground. You need to use several squads to set up suppressing fire on known enemies and then move a squad up. That squad can then help provide cover for another squad and so on.

Pyschologically it shows you what can happen if you place your troops to too much danger or expect them to be supermen. They may refuse orders, panic, surrender or retreat.

Just looked on the Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_Combat_series

It also goes into the tactical and pyschological aspects better than I can right now.

# Close Combat: Marines - A game developed by Atomic Games for the Department of Defense to help train Marines.
# Close Combat: RAF Regiment - A new training module for the British Royal Air Force Regiment, which is an airfield protection force. It has been rumoured that a modified version will be released commercially to the public. It is currently in its Alpha state, meaning it is not fully completed, but is being used. A number of press releases can be found on the CSO website linked below.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
There were those one games....wow, I can't remember the name. But it was a game adapted (by the same company) from a military simulation (things like making smoke grenades go from two minutes to fill an area to ten-fifteen seconds) or something like that. You control one squad (two fire teams) and you run around using cover and whatnot in a mythical Middle Eastern place called Zekistan.

Full Spectrum Warrior, that's the name.

I also heard that they were making a kind of sequel, only you were at the company level and so you had multiple squads to control. I'm not sure they finished that, though.

Jason

chasing a bee
The sequel, Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers, was released but I'm pretty sure it's not company level.

Jed: For company level and above, read up on the ATF series, Airborne Assault series, and TacOps. You also might want to be more specific about what you're looking for. Just saying "strategy and tactics" is pretty broad.

Regarding Close Combat, I found the first game's 300 page strategy guide (by Bill Trotter) at a discount book store just the other day for $5. I was excited.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Ten Hammers isn't what I mean, there's a new game that was being developed by the same company also based off of a command-control simulation for company or platoon training.

Jed

Cipher
Maybe from the perspective of a General or field commander of some sort? I'm actually not exactly sure what I'm interested in, other than to say a building better understanding of how warfare is conducted. Not necessarily modern warfare, either, but rather the essential concepts of tactics and strategy that hold true from ancient to modern wars.

Sorry to be so ambiguous; I guess it's more one of those things I will know if I find it in a game, so please keep the suggestions coming.

LCJr.

Erudite
Well I think you need figure out if you're looking for strategy OR tactics. Strategy is the planning and exectution of campaigns i.e. everything that leads up to a battle. Tactics is fighting the actual battle.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
Jed said:
Maybe from the perspective of a General or field commander of some sort? I'm actually not exactly sure what I'm interested in, other than to say a building better understanding of how warfare is conducted. Not necessarily modern warfare, either, but rather the essential concepts of tactics and strategy that hold true from ancient to modern wars.

I'd say it sounds like you're looking for something like Close Combat or Combat Mission. I'm getting down and dirty with those myself right now, and I saw the light. If you want to go really grognard you should check out the games baby arm mentioned. The Wargamer and Armchair General are your friends

Dmitron

Arbiter
kingcomrade said:
Full Spectrum Warrior, that's the name.

If you go the FPS route: Virtual Battlefield Systems 2 (military version of Armed Assault). Of course, it'll cost thousands - completely impractical for the home user. :)

And for armoured combat: Steel Beasts Pro. I've pondering buying it. Don't have time for games right now, hard to justify spending $125. :(

West Front, East Front hex based games are great. Operational Art of War might be worth looking at too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom