Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CV manual is out

BearBomber

Scholar
Details here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthrea ... 987&page=2

I started to read it and I'm raging pretty hard. The AI doesn't seem to get smarter in higher difficulties. The Prince is the only difficulties without buffs to player or AI, on higher difficulties AI get bonuses, on lower ones the player does. I repeat the difficulty is not connected to the AI behaviour.

Fucking :decline:

In other news in multiplayer players can now choose to take turns simultaneously I can imagine that it changes battles into incomprehensible clusterfuck.

BearBomber

Scholar
In Civ IV difficulty some difficulty level actually changed AI behaviour, or so claims the game.

And simultaneous tuns will affect the game differently because of tactical combat, you can't abuse your speed that much when fighting stacks.

Also social policies works differently than in CIV IV and Alpha Centauri. If I understood correctly now they are permanent bonuses that you buy for your culture points, so when you choose new policy you don't loose the bonuses of the previous one.

EDIT:

Apparently some branches of social policies can't be active at the same time, but I don't know if it means that you will be able to to swing between branches or that unlocking one branch will permanently block another one.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
So they claimed, but the higher (and lower) difficulty settings made heavy use of stat bonuses in Civ 3 and 4. Stuff only cost half as much for the AI on the highest difficulty as I recall.

And we'll see how simultaneous turns works with the new battle system but it worked just fine in Civ4. Honestly Civ4 would've been unplayable without it, particularly in the late game when a turn can take 10 minutes easy.

BearBomber

Scholar
ScottishMartialArts said:
So they claimed, but the higher (and lower) difficulty settings made heavy use of stat bonuses in Civ 3 and 4. Stuff only cost half as much for the AI on the highest difficulty as I recall.

They gave AI bonuses and adjusted behaviour. Now only bonuses remain.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
BearBomber said:
ScottishMartialArts said:

They gave AI bonuses and adjusted behaviour. Now only bonuses remain.

Okay, I just read the CIV5 manual and pulled out my Civ 4 manual. If we assume that the only effects difficulty has are those specifically enumerated in the manual, then CIV4 difficulty didn't affect AI behavior either, only barbarians, free units, research, maintenance costs, health and happiness, ai penalties, ai freebies, and tribal villages, i.e. stat bonuses. You'll notice that those are the same sorts of things mentioned in the brief description of difficulty in the CIV5 manual.

I'm sure there will be plenty of :decline: in CIV5 -- it is after all a new game which by definition makes it inferior. But nitpicking about how difficulty is described is just grasping at straws.

Cassidy

Arcane
Battle for Wesnoth will have more complex gameplay mechanics and will be much more challenging than Civilization VI.

I'll necro this thread once the appropriate time comes.

attackfighter

Magister
Civ games always suck dick until the expansions come out, nothing new here

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom