Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Current RTS games that have good co-op?

Gambler

Augur
Are there any? By current I mean something not much older than the last 5 years. By co-op I mean players vs AI. Bonus points if the game has decent single-player campaign as well, but I gues that's a secondary consideration. More bonus points if there are many sides or races to play, so that each player could have something unique to use.

Pocgels

Scholar
Starcraft 2 has a good co-op mode, it was still being supported (at least when I played it a few years ago) with missions specific to the co-op mode, and a decent number of unique mini-factions that the players can play as.

Supreme commander forged alliance on the forged alliance forever client isn't current but may still be worth considering. You can play the story mode co-op with a buddy, and each of you can play different factions.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
If you count Starcraft 2, which is far older than 2018, then you should also count Red Alert 3, which isn't much older than SC2. RA3's entire campaign is co-op. That's 27 co-op missions.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Wargame : Red Dragon is almost 10 years old, but it still looks VERY good, has excellent multi vs AI or not, a competitive scene, and finally great solo campaigns with a strategy layer.
Also, 20+ countries with its specialities and 1000+ units to play with. While some countries are just copycat of others (eg Poland is very similar to East Germany with less stuff), the great power play very differently :
- US is all airpower but has horrible infantry to hold the ground, so it is better to be with an ally with good ground troops (typically UK or Germany)
- Israeli units are horribly expensive, but most of them are best-in-class (except air and artillery). Attrition or battle over large territory will kill them, so it is best with an ally that can bring numbers to the table (eg the Americans)
- The French are extremely fast, but have no cost-effective armour at all, and will have troubles holding ground... except if teamed up with the Germans or the Americans
- The USSR has an answer to everything, but most of their non-infantry units are very specialized and expansive,
- On the other hand, the rest of the Warsaw Pack (Poland, East Germany, Czecoslovakia) have the same sort of gear, but less specialized and less expensive,
- China is obvious number > quality, so they really need the USSR to help against some threats (eg US air power)
- North Korea is like China with even worse infantry, but even more artillery and lots of dumb bombers.
- Canadians are useless, so they need, well, anyone else. No one play them,
- ANZAC has a lot of good infantry for cheap, and absolutely nothing else, so they are horrible in solo but nice to support US or the French or Israel,
etc...

So yeah, pretty asymmetrical.

The new iteration WARNO is still in Early Access, alas, but same same : excellent multi and some solo missions (I don't think solo campaigns).

Last edited:

Gambler

Augur
The new iteration WARNO is still in Early Access, alas, but same same : excellent multi and some solo missions (I don't think solo campaigns).
Looks interesting. How is the AI? Also, Steam says it requires some external account. It is annoying to register?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Dawn of War

I played it often with my best friend in LAN, but we didn't like the last expansion (Soulstorm)

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Looks interesting. How is the AI? Also, Steam says it requires some external account. It is annoying to register?
The AI of Wargame was not very smart : always attacking and never defending. Cooperative against AI was still popular but often called « Tower Defense mode » due to that. Now the prefered « light » game mode of the players (including new players) is « Tactical » : 10v10 battles with very very few units so it is really tactical and not a click fest. That’s how I onboarded player : you can check what the other player is doing as the mentor, and as the newbs you can just copycat other players.

The AI of WARNO is apparently much better but I only played multi.

Deadyawn

Learned
Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (while the game is over 20 years old, this remaster is less than 5, so maybe it fits your criteria) has co-op campaigns and the revamped ai provides a good enough challenge both on it and skirmish maps. It's great fun with friends.

Quatlo

Arcane
Variety of CnC mods and sourceports have co-op campaigns.

AI War is designed around playing it in co-op, but somehow I never played it more than a couple of minutes so I don't really know if its any good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom