Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cultural Influences

Bradylama

Arcane
So far we've seen a lot of Roman and Eastern influences that have factored into the game. The weapons concept art VD posted awhile back for instance, features predominantly Eastern blades.

What I was wondering was whether or not "Barbaric" culture has made it's way into the game. Are there Great Halls, for instance? Great swords, woad, stuff like that?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Nope. No barbaric cultures. When I designed the game, I left the barbarians and the *other* kingdom out to be able to make a sequel later if I have to. There are references to barbarian tribes and their legends of the war, but that's about it.

Bradylama

Arcane
Your antagonistic kingdom Q'antaar sounds near-easterny. Is it the remnants of that kingdom that manifests itself as the eastern influences in-game?

Were they a barbaric society?

Am I asking too many questions?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Bradylama said:
Your antagonistic kingdom Q'antaar sounds near-easterny. Is it the remnants of that kingdom that manifests itself as the eastern influences in-game?
No. They are from the west. Aztec-ish.

Were they a barbaric society?
In some ways. They are not what one would call barbarians, however.

Am I asking too many questions?
No, ask away. Discussing various elements often leads to their improvements.

Bradylama

Arcane
How many ethnic identities permeate throughout the game, and do predominantly Roman cultures remember themselves as being Imperials while predominantly Eastern cultures remember themselves as being Vassal peoples?

I'm assuming since European "barbarians" are out of the picture that the gameworld is based more on the Eastern Roman Empire. Is this true?

Also, what kind of religious organizations make appearances in-game. Is there a christianity-like sect that is gaining in popularity? Knowing that there's other-worldly beings, I'm assuming that most religions are pagan. Are there cults dedicated to the worship of certain Gods or Demons?

What about the more metaphysical far-eastern relgions?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Bradylama said:
How many ethnic identities permeate throughout the game, and do predominantly Roman cultures remember themselves as being Imperials while predominantly Eastern cultures remember themselves as being Vassal peoples?
There isn't much left for any cultural rifts to develop.

I'm assuming since European "barbarians" are out of the picture that the gameworld is based more on the Eastern Roman Empire. Is this true?
Yep. Keep in mind that the game isn't based on, but only inspired by the Romans.

Also, what kind of religious organizations make appearances in-game.
None, unless you help Meru (see the NMA screens).

Is there a christianity-like sect that is gaining in popularity?
Nope.

Knowing that there's other-worldly beings...
They were not worshipped during the war, and after the war things quickly changed. It's explained in the game

Are there cults dedicated to the worship of certain Gods or Demons?
Yes and no.
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/4684 ... age7mw.jpg

What about the more metaphysical far-eastern relgions?
Nope. Religions didn't fit the setting and the story (other than the one that you can help build).

Bradylama

Arcane
What other cultures do you think have had an impact on the Gameworld?

Is it possible for the player character to develop an entourage? Not necessarily a party of NPCs, but a group of admirers who are supposed to do stuff like wash your armor or announce your presence. This might be a nifty little token for a very well-known Knight player character, and the benefits of an entourage could eliminate the possibility of the player character using subterfuge, since all NPCs know exactly who they're dealing with.

You mentioned that there's a religion you can help build up. What about social movements, ala the orc labour union in Arcanum? Do real-world political philosophies factor in any to the social dichotomy?

AMDG

Novice
Usually , after a big empire has collapsed , people revert to tribal unions and a little bit of animism and the cult of the ancestors . There is no organised religion , so it would be fun to see the player creating or restoring one .

Vault Dweller

Developer
Bradylama said:
What other cultures do you think have had an impact on the Gameworld?
Roman, Persian, Egyptian.

Is it possible for the player character to develop an entourage?
No

You mentioned that there's a religion you can help build up. What about social movements, ala the orc labour union in Arcanum? Do real-world political philosophies factor in any to the social dichotomy?
No social movements. The society is in a too primitive state for such concepts.

AMDG

Novice
"How would you travel otherwise?"

Like early nomadic tribes , since the society is already in the Stone Age .

Bradylama

Arcane
Usually , after a big empire has collapsed , people revert to tribal unions and a little bit of animism and the cult of the ancestors . There is no organised religion , so it would be fun to see the player creating or restoring one .

Well, for Rome this was precisely the opposite. :)

For VD's setting though, the people were already as gods through the use of magic, so what need was there for religion?

VD: Will the player character be able to establish a town, or help build up a town from a group of shacks? Would this be how House Darat develops assuming the player character furthers their ends?

As an aside, with all the talk of combat avoidance, will the end-game temple force the player character to engage in combat in order to beat the game?

AMDG

Novice
"Well, for Rome this was precisely the opposite"

Christianity was special . Look at China , Latin America or Africa :)

"so what need was there for religion?"

More powerful gods ?

"will the end-game temple force the player character to engage in combat in order to beat the game?"

You could finish Arcanum without engaging in combat .

Bradylama

Arcane
More powerful gods ?

People look to religion to find a purpose greater than themselves. With magic, they can essentially create their own purpose. The powers of nature are practically at their disposal, and gods and demons can't exist on their plane, so there's no point in showing them reverence.

Also, this isn't Arcanum. :)

Bradylama

Arcane
After the Fact, sure. They were also the House that released the Gods into the physical plane of AoD.

I'm talking about before, during the Empire.

AMDG

Novice
"I'm talking about before, during the Empire"

Who knows ?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Bradylama said:
VD: Will the player character be able to establish a town, or help build up a town from a group of shacks?
No.

Would this be how House Darat develops assuming the player character furthers their ends?
No.

As an aside, with all the talk of combat avoidance, will the end-game temple force the player character to engage in combat in order to beat the game?
Absolutely not. Out of the 7 endings, only one requires you to fight.

Edit: Bradylama vs AMDG discussion: Bradylama is correct.

Bradylama

Arcane
Alright, social and ethnic diversities are a non-issue, but how about class? Is there a palpable rift between the rich and poor? Or is everybody practically in the same sinking boat, so much that power gains more importance than wealth?

Expanding even further on this possible concept. Would it be possible for the player character to act as a Robin Hood type working outside of the 40 Thieves?

Further Addendum: And what about those endings? Will the endgame feature individual endings for factions and communities like Fallout and Arcanum, or will the main seven endings be pretty much it?

Also bringing culture back into focus. How much does community culture factor into the game? If, for instance, I wore the traditional garb of a man from Town A, would that factor into convincing people in Town B that I'm from Town A via the Disguise skill?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Bradylama said:
Alright, social and ethnic diversities are a non-issue, but how about class? Is there a palpable rift between the rich and poor? Or is everybody practically in the same sinking boat, so much that power gains more importance than wealth?
Yes, there is a rift. The rich are the ones with power, otherwise they won't stay rich for long.

Would it be possible for the player character to act as a Robin Hood type working outside of the 40 Thieves?
No. That angle doesn't fit very well. What you suggest is kinda Morrowind-ish.

Further Addendum: And what about those endings? Will the endgame feature individual endings for factions and communities like Fallout and Arcanum, or will the main seven endings be pretty much it?
Yes. The endings are very detailed and include overviews for towns, factions and their goals, and some key NPCs that you helped or fucked.

Also bringing culture back into focus. How much does community culture factor into the game? If, for instance, I wore the traditional garb of a man from Town A, would that factor into convincing people in Town B that I'm from Town A via the Disguise skill?
Yes, it would. There are several hidden "clothing" stats: faction, dress_value, dress_type.

AMDG

Novice
"Yes, it would. There are several hidden "clothing" stats: faction, dress_value, dress_type."

Wow - that's truly original - well , I remember Blood Omen and the Disguise skill , level 1 and 2 . But still - well done .

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
"Also bringing culture back into focus. How much does community culture factor into the game? If, for instance, I wore the traditional garb of a man from Town A, would that factor into convincing people in Town B that I'm from Town A via the Disguise skill?"

"Yes, it would. There are several hidden "clothing" stats: faction, dress_value, dress_type."

How will this work when encountering NPCs?

Let's say you enter village B and go speak with the House leader. He gives you his take on the world. You decline to kiss his back-side. You decline to align yourself against his House. You walk away still neutral. You then walk around back behind the building where nobody can see you and put on your disguise. You approach the House leader again and he (depending on your skills and disguise) takes you as a representative of another House or person from village A. You are then given dialog options that allow you to betray village A or miss-lead the House leader in village B into some other situation pitting A & B against each other. Once again you go out back and change out of your disguise and return to speak with the House leader again. This gives you one or two new dialog options allowing you to take advantage of the situation you just created.

Is that about right, VD?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Paranoid Jack said:
Is that about right, VD?
No. Disguise is a tool to handle specific and existing objectives.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom