Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crytek bankruptcy watch thread

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Because "Koch" isn't pronounced like that in German. Also, it means "cook".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, they don't have anything to do with the Kochs from the United States (lots of librul Americans get butthurt whenever they read about Deep Silver until they figure that out)

Thing is, the market analysts are always half right when they say the future is in console, then Facebook games, then android etc. They just miss the important half - that the skills and corporate culture needed for success in AAA gaming industry is not the same as that which is needed for success in the 'copyright trolling, shakedown-purchasing of IPs, market dozens of clones under different names through rapidly discarded subsidiary enterprises, spend nothing on tech, research or development so you can jump to the next fad at minimal cost' industry.

Zynga has some impressive skillsets, but none of them involve making games (in fact, that's one of their skill-sets - copying existing games and copyright-trolling the original creators into bankruptcy if they don't sell Zynga their IP for a pittance). They're closer to that of a corporate raid-and-downsize enterprise than a game development company.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If only had VR been fully popularized in the Age of Incline.
Dizzying enviroments for Descent, fully immersive enviroments in Arx Fatalis, feeling like a true operator in SWAT 4, feeling like a true pilot in MechWarrior, being amazed by the stars in space sims, being even further immersed in Thief.....
Yet now all we get is pre-baked 'cinematic experiences' like Robinson and casual mech games like RIGS, where you are literally in a rollercoaster ride.
Despite all the mini-game maker shit, why is nobody making a 'VR Cinematic Experience Maker' game yet? People could even recreate 9/11 for people to experience it in first-person.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Crytek's virtual reality game Dinosaur Island is on Steam now - and it's a free download.
By Wesley Yin-Poole Published 18/11/2015

The Oculus Rift tech demo begins with you as a baby dinosaur in a nest. You're then free to explore the jungle environment, interact with eggs and a dragonfly, before meeting a huge dinosaur. The video, below, gives you an idea of what it's about.

Be warned: the system requirements are pretty steep:

Minimum:

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @3.40GHz
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 980 or AMD Radeon R9 290
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 2 GB available space

You also need an Oculus Rift DK2 to run it.

Crytek said the system requirements are such because, as a virtual reality game, Back to Dinosaur Island requires a high frame-rate to guarantee a comfortable experience (Crytek's aiming for 75 frames-per-second rendered twice for an "optimal experience"). If you run it on weaker hardware, you'll have lower frame-rates, and thus a poorer experience.

Pity. I've always thought Cryware is worth a huge, open ended RPG. I hope they continue their engine development, at least.

Does anyone want to fill me in on how a small European developer suddenly has multiple branches? I always assume Crytek internally developed Far Cry, and had one division. Their Cryengine was a remarkable feat from out of Europe, but Far Cry came from nowhere, now they are a chain dev? Enlighten me.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Well its fuckcheap to employ developers and programmers in foreign countries, especially in eastern europe. In germany they worked hard on getting a certain reputation of exploiting employees, and still they underperformed on the last games, so they simply cut back extremely on their staff in germany and outsourced their workload.

Well its fuckcheap to employ developers and programmers in foreign countries, especially in eastern europe. In germany they worked hard on getting a certain reputation of exploiting employees, and still they underperformed on the last games, so they simply cut back extremely on their staff in germany and outsourced their workload.

No wonder they went F2P. Most major devs have their selling point. The bar starts pretty low.

I actually hope Kickstarter puts them out of business, just so innovation in gaming can continue. Not likely, though.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12853270

esWXooP.png

What a joke of a company Crytek has become.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Those Yerli bros just completely lack any sense of business acumen, let alone common sense. Expanding and acquiring companies abroad like crazy but hardly ever ship anything was a recipe for disaster. I already knew after they shipped Crysis that they were going down the wrong path.

Wonder what's gonna happen to the CryEngine though.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Those Yerli bros just completely lack any sense of business acumen, let alone common sense. Expanding and acquiring companies abroad like crazy but hardly ever ship anything was a recipe for disaster. I already knew after they shipped Crysis that they were going down the wrong path.

Amazon something something.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

You mean Lumberyard? That's a CryEngine branch, and I'm not sure what the license agreement with Crytek was, but Amazon has full control and the source code of Lumberyard and a Crytek demise wouldn't affect them.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

You mean Lumberyard? That's a CryEngine branch, and I'm not sure what the license agreement with Crytek was, but Amazon has full control and the source code of Lumberyard and a Crytek demise wouldn't affect them.

Lumberyard is 99.8% stock CRYENGINE 3.8 tech. They removed Scaleform and replaced it with some basic UI thingie. The stock netcode is gone and replaced with something else. Lumberjack is also bound into Amazon Cloud thingie.
Make sure you read Amazon's Terms of Service BEFORE you start using it. Amazon is even covered against a zombie invasion in there. Well at least legally (not that that would do much good).

Yeah. The engine will probably be bought by somebody if Crytek hits the ground.

Anyway, that engine was worth $50+ millions in 2014. Which probably was spent on booze and shit.

Perkel

Arcane

It was joke after they were done with Crysis 1.
I was never huge fan of Crysis 1 (i liked Far Cry better) but at least it provided something different.

AAAAnnndddd then they flushed out everything and they tried to make standard shooters.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12853270

esWXooP.png

Normally if a company misses 3 months paying employees it's usual practice in Germany that one of the employee or his lawyer files insolvency for the company. I know because I have been in such a situation many years ago, we were for a short time one of the hottest irons in 3d scanning software in 2000-2001 but after the fourth month of not getting paid someone went to the Amtsgericht (a court) and one week later no one appeared to work. There is also a nice legal term for that: "Insolvenzverschleppung" = "delay in filing for insolvency", which is considered criminal. It had consequences for the CEO of that said company, and though he did not go to jail, he could not found another company for 7 years (but I know that his wife did eventually).

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
More scumbaggery from Crytek:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13140938

Crytek haven't paid their employees in Bulgaria in 3 months and all workers in that office are currently owed 3 full salaries. The company is not looking to pay these salaries any time soon and have spent the last few months lying about the availability of this money in order to keep as many employees as possible.
The Yerli brothers (Avni, Cevat and Faruk) are now looking at the second delay in the last 6 months (after finishing up a delay of 2 months just before the current one) and the third payment delay in the last two years.

The former director of the Sofia studio, Vesselin Handjiev, left several months ago and the studio is entirely at the mercy of Crytek Frankfurt's leadership, which has proved to be unsuccessful in stemming the current bleeding for 6 months.

Anyone who has an offer or is otherwise considering joining Crytek is advised to steer their ship elsewhere, as the current situation is rumored to apply to all studios within the company, even after the closure and selling off of several of the Crytek studios around the world.

Austerity for everyone.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
After their "our games will not be on PC" announcement they made games on PC and then they were not making them again. I never could take this company serious after this. Seems like they wanted to take consoles into their bed and make babies with them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom