Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crystal Project - Turn Based RPG with Classes/builds

somerandomdude

Learned
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1637730/Crystal_Project/

It's got a free demo, so you can try it first. Pretty decent amount of content in the demo, probably 8hrs in just the demo, and your save carries over to the full game if you get it.

It's got classes sorta like Final Fantasy 5. It's got an open world to explore that looks like minecraft blocks, and different mounts to move around, there's dungeons, chests, fast travel way points, and shrines.

In my opinion, I think it's worth $14, if you're into turn based JRPG style games with class systems, and builds. You got a main and a sub class. I think it's moderately challenging, but not too over the top, and you can always turn the difficulty up if you want. About 40 or 50hrs worth of content for $14, and that's to clear everything. There's no fetch quests, only areas to explore, and loot.

Last edited:

Rafidur

Learned
Demo is huge. HUGE. Also fairly representative of the full game. Worth a try if on the fence.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Interesting to see this have so little reception here. The game is GREAT if it is your thing. It does that Voidspire Tactics thing, where a solid JRPG battle system is grafted into a nonlinear exploration heavy environment with tons of hidden secrets and different paths to progress. Those produce the most enjoyable experiences, because nonlinear exploration, sandboxy gameplay and tons of secrets aren't exactly the strengths of JRPGs. It also fits pretty well with the oldschool Final Fantasy vibes, since the NES and SNES had way more secrets and more interesting dungeons than the PSX JRPGs on average.

So what do you actually do in this game? You play as a party of four generic heroes, traveling the lands, finding 16 crystals which unlock a new Job for you in addition to the six starting jobs, and then you probably kill god with the power of friendship.
The combat is quite similar to FFX, turn based combat with tons of speed manipulation and a visible initiative order.
The progression system is an evolution of FF5/FFT, mix and match any two classes, equip up to 10 skill points worth of passives from all classes. Being able to realistically mix passives from 5-6 different classes helps the game a lot, so you have an incentive to swap your mastered Rogue/Ninja or whatever into a different class just to nab another neat passive for that little bit more efficiency.
The game is fucking tough on hard difficulty, I die to random mobs here and there, and I only have a ~50% chance of killing each boss first try. There have been bosses that have killed me ~10 times. That is pretty much the sweet spot for a JRPG, any more and it gets frustrating, below that and I tend to get bored.
Enemy design is pretty good aswell, a lot of the difficult bossfights are also quite cleverly made, for an example a mushroom boss gave me a lot of trouble. He casts a status effect on you that makes you unable to choose which target to use your skills against, and then he summons two adds which are not really worth killing with single target attacks.
Gameplay wise this is all the good stuff, little to complain, except that so many skills are weapon locked. For example it is pretty hard to combine the excellent archer skillset with anything, since it is exclusive to the bows which not many other classes utilise at all.

Between gathering crystals, multiclassing and killing bosses you also need to explore the world. Here comes an element in that will be a dealbreaker to a lot of people. There if a fuckton of platforming and parcouring in this game. Think of Kingdom Hearts 1, but turned up to 11. You constantly need to make very tight jumps to progress, there are some near pixel perfect jumps which are straight up required to progress. This is especially annoying on keyboard and mouse, wasd is NOT made to do weird jumps where you need to change your vector mid air three times. The platforming feels like Minecraft parcouring, because of the blocky nature and the ridiculousness of some of the required jumps. You frequently get rewarded with cool loot for choosing to explore and trying hard jumps, but if you don't like this sort of gameplay stay away, the game is filled to the brim with it.

Story and characters are effectively nonexistent. The solo dev didn't even try here, and that is alright, the game is impressive enough as it is.

Here some images from the Steam release which best show the experience:
0chPkPD.jpg

Said Mushroom Boss that gave me a lot of trouble, and you can see the detailed initiative tracker which also shows enemy moves and aggro in advance.
f783tGX.jpg

An average exploration area in the game, chock full of jumps you can make to reach different places. You can jump on the left lantern here, to jump over to the red blooming tree, probably to find a chest or something for example. That or jump on top of the ninja, and then from there to the area above him.

I highly recommend this, but it is a very specific game, for specific people.

Risewild

Arbiter
The only thing that keeps me from trying this game is the darn platforming.

I hate platforming in RPGs of any kind. And 3D platforming is the worst for me. Otherwise, I would have tried out the demo already and probably ended up buying the full game.

Apart from the platforming, this actually looks nice.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thac0 Can you customize your party's appearances?

Only to a negligible degree. Some armor changes your appearance and each class has a different sprite, but 99% of the time your rogue is gonna look like a rogue.

The only thing that keeps me from trying this game is the darn platforming.

I hate platforming in RPGs of any kind. And 3D platforming is the worst for me. Otherwise, I would have tried out the demo already and probably ended up buying the full game.

Apart from the platforming, this actually looks nice.

The first thing I would do, if I was the solo dev, would be to implement an "I am not a zoomer and didn't play Minecraft Parkour" difficulty mode. Extend the reach and height of the jump by 33%. Sure it will trivialise the platforming and break the game in half as you can sequence break everywhere, but you can sequence break half of the time anyway, and it would make the game way more accessible, especially on PC.

somerandomdude

Learned
Hey how else would you avoid your -4 STR?

Both genders might have a penis in this game, seeing as how there's no stat bonus/penalty associated with it other than cosmetics.

There's a few frames in some of the allegedly female sprites that appear to have a bulge in a certain location.

somerandomdude

Learned
This is an example of a tank. Ninja has some good defensive scrolls, like to evade spell casts, and also one of them gets you guaranteed aggro on a boss target, natural tank passive ensures your tank gets the alpha strike right out of the gate. Ribbon gives stats effect protection to everything but death, and hope cross protects against death. Valkyrie also has an aoe heal + protect on the whole party, so he's also a secondary healer. The reason I did a tank like this, because my DPS does too much DPS for the tank to hold aggro on a boss without using the ninja scroll which grabs aggro no matter what, so yes there's hate/enmity mechanics that determine who gets aggro kinda like in MMORPGs.

And before anyone asks, yes Charlene is a tranny. Previously female character that I took to the gender swap shop that I forgot/was too lazy to use a name change on. It is what it is.

A9B13AF27C46C645950CEA520B7B794259CA873A

welly321

Scholar
Currently playing the demo. The game is very cool so far. I love all the hidden chests with items and the class/job system seems good as well. Its to bad the story is basically nonexistant. If this had an epic story, it could really be a great jrpg. Still very much worth playing though. I am planning to purchase the full game.

welly321

Scholar
Just bought it. This guy deservers my money. What an amazing game. If your a jrpg combat fag, this game is heaven. Mix and match classes with different passives and skills. You unlock new classes as you progress the game. Its amazing! There are also tons of interesting equipment to find, each character can have two accessories. Some accessories pair very well with certain classes, Like I have a fencer that has a stance to lower accuracy but increase crit rate. I give him the accuracy accessories. If you love the combat and character building portion of JRPGs, this game is must buy.

Rafidur

Learned
If anyone is interested there was an update some time ago adding new game plus, randomizer, a high difficulty "chaos mode" (theorically possible on NG if you know the game by heart, but not balanced around it), a boss endurance mode, and maybe some other shit I can't think of.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
50 ish hours into this now, this game is crazy, considering one guy made this, balancing all the classes and designing the map, which is vertical, dense and layered with how progression is unlocked trough mounts, it's insane. The developer is insane.

It's underrated as hell not even 1 page thread on rpg codex dot com.

I just got the owl and started filling the blank part of the map. Even if it just empty cliff, filling the blanks is super satisfying. Sometimes you just find gems like this hidden in the wild.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I tried to tell everyone! Game is incredible. People should study it for how to do metroidvania/open world exploration properly. Sequence breaks everywhere, meaningful progression hidden in secrets, encounters balanced more around available strategies than raw levels, with multiple solutions to each boss/encounter but not so many that everything is trivial. Combat is brilliant too, with a proper speed system, telegraphed enemy behaviour and true variety in what both you and the enemies are able to do. I did a full blind playthrough and then another one with the randomizer. Still plan to go back for a third playthrough; I never did beat the super secret optional boss. My one gripe is that the way the automap functions can make it difficult to find secrets in areas you explored before finding the map for the area.

welly321

Scholar
50 ish hours into this now, this game is crazy, considering one guy made this, balancing all the classes and designing the map, which is vertical, dense and layered with how progression is unlocked trough mounts, it's insane. The developer is insane.

It's underrated as hell not even 1 page thread on rpg codex dot com.

I just got the owl and started filling the blank part of the map. Even if it just empty cliff, filling the blanks is super satisfying. Sometimes you just find gems like this hidden in the wild.
Criminally underrated here. Shit like Outerworlds and starfield has 500 pages yet this doesnt even have a full page. Incredible game and I've been loving it since I bought it last summer.

Jinn

Arcane
Only thing keeping me from playing this is I've got Bravely Default 2 waiting for me in my backlog. After that, this'll be my next "FFV-like."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom