Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Sure, he has finished more of the games he plays. In my opinion, he should stop at the year 2000 as a cutoff. Once he gets into more familiar territory, I'm sure he'd attract all sorts of unwanted attention.

There's already a huge group of Nintendo fans attached itself on the blog, using every opportunity to talk about classic Nintendo titles. Like 19/20 retro gaming blogs isn't already about fucking Nintendo games!
Or did you think of some other unwanted attention, like BioDrones?

DaveO

Erudite
Well, you can never tell what sort of people you attract. In his earlier days, I saw his comments about people quitting his site due to him dropping a game. Now I know the name on the site is an alias, so it's quite possible we're dealing with a female like Scorpia. But still, you'd hate to see the person beat up or killed over a less than stellar review of a game.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Sure, he has finished more of the games he plays. In my opinion, he should stop at the year 2000 as a cutoff. Once he gets into more familiar territory, I'm sure he'd attract all sorts of unwanted attention.

He doesn't "get" the newer stuff anyway, he's a bit old I guess. He really should stick to old stuff, instead of making ill-informed comments on games like Dragon Age: Origins.

There's already a huge group of Nintendo fans attached itself on the blog, using every opportunity to talk about classic Nintendo titles. Like 19/20 retro gaming blogs isn't already about fucking Nintendo games!
Or did you think of some other unwanted attention, like BioDrones?

Nintendo fans are a fucking CULT both old and new systems. Picture the worst turn based unironic Codex Incline freak. Now make them worshipping a company with enough money in the bank to fund the purchase of a couple stealth bombers and you have Nintendo fans.

I've met them in real life. Folks who gave me the dirtiest looks for DARING to play Sega games or to mention that computer games exist and that Nintendo didn't much invent all the shit they get worshipped for. Some guy in The Videogame Years in the 1986 episode called the Famicom Disk Drive the GAMING INNOVATION OF THAT YEAR.

Seriously. A fucking floppy drive. This is the Nintendo fan. Nothing else exists. Kneel before Miyamoto. IDGI. There are good games on just about every platform and only a fuckwit cares if its a console or a computer or which fucking company who would pimp their sister if it wouild make them money and they could get away with it anyhow. (As is the modern company. We are fucking living in Shadowrun man. Except without the elf chicks casting fireballs and troll dudes with an AH-64 Apache gun cybernetically attached to his arm part. :argh: )

Well, you can never tell what sort of people you attract. In his earlier days, I saw his comments about people quitting his site due to him dropping a game. Now I know the name on the site is an alias, so it's quite possible we're dealing with a female like Scorpia. But still, you'd hate to see the person beat up or killed over a less than stellar review of a game.

CRPGAddict is too smalltime as an e-celebrity for that. Even big boys like TotalBiscuit shit on modern games all the time and the worst that happens is people calling him a faggot on twitter.

Did Miyamoto touch you or something?

No man. But his followers tend to be a bunch of irrational shitlords with stupidly narrow lines of thought. There are good games on pretty much every platform. Too bad most Nintendo fans act like no other platforms ever fucking exist, and if they are willing to at least admit other machines exist they are even douchier in general than this place is about real time combat. (Though maybe not up to NMA levels about Fallout 3.)

Course I have never understood consumer products as religion and personal identity anyhow. Its fucking stupid IMHO.

Sykar

Arcane
Nintendo fans are a fucking CULT both old and new systems. Picture the worst turn based unironic Codex Incline freak. Now make them worshipping a company with enough money in the bank to fund the purchase of a couple stealth bombers and you have Nintendo fans.

I've met them in real life. Folks who gave me the dirtiest looks for DARING to play Sega games or to mention that computer games exist and that Nintendo didn't much invent all the shit they get worshipped for. Some guy in The Videogame Years in the 1986 episode called the Famicom Disk Drive the GAMING INNOVATION OF THAT YEAR.

Seriously. A fucking floppy drive. This is the Nintendo fan. Nothing else exists. Kneel before Miyamoto. IDGI. There are good games on just about every platform and only a fuckwit cares if its a console or a computer or which fucking company who would pimp their sister if it wouild make them money and they could get away with it anyhow. (As is the modern company. We are fucking living in Shadowrun man. Except without the elf chicks casting fireballs and troll dudes with an AH-64 Apache gun cybernetically attached to his arm part. :argh: )

As if Sony or XBox fans are any better.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The "content=story therefore none of these RPGs had content" implication was utterly bizarre, but otherwise I can't say I disagree with most of his points, or his picks for that matter, even though I wouldn't have chosen the same games (but then I haven't played all the ones he has - I don't think I've ever touched any of the PLATO ones). It'll be interesting to see if he keeps updating that lineage tree for later years. I'm a little butthurt that he didn't give any GOTY to a Clardy game but his reasonings are sound. It's a really good read overall.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Someone wrote a message with just the word "fuck" repeated about 50 times, Addict deleted it and replied "always nice to hear from the RPG Codex".
How the fuck did he know?!?

Last edited:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Someone wrote a message with just the word "fuck" repeated about 50 times, Addict deleted it and replied "always nice to hear from the RPG Codec".
How the fuck did he know?!?
This reminds me of when Anthony Davis blamed the 'dex for an invasion of tards on the OE forums, and of course it turned out not be Codexers.

Every time someone does this I lose a great deal of respect for them.

Heh, reminds me of Vogel too, for that matter.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
He is a member here, a bit thin-skinned, and we chased him off because he put some of his personal issues out in the open, and we are who we are:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/crpgaddict.54062/page-13#post-2097198

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/crpgaddict.54062/page-13#post-2097234

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?members/crpgaddict.12176/

Plus octavius pissed him off, too, and that caused some heartburn since octavius is also a regular poster on addict's blog.

I think he still lurks, and he has an appreciation for Crooked Bee's comments on older CRPGs, and sometimes quotes her. If he had some thicker skin he'd fit in great.

:Flash:

Arcane
He is a member here, a bit thin-skinned, and we chased him off because he put some of his personal issues out in the open, and we are who we are:
Well the thin-skinnedness seems to be a two way street, considering that 4 people brofist someone for losing respect only because CRPGAddict poked a little fun at the Codex.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That was not about thin or thick skin, but how people really believe that every asshole that talks about RPGs comes from the Codex.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Oddly, even the RPG Watch guys got on his nerves when he began the blog: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11103
They're much more vitriolic in that thread than we ever were :lol: I mean, I think I came down hardest on him out of the Codexers, and the worst I ever did was call his GIMLET scoring "silly". And considering how much I despise all scoring systems, it's hardly a personal attack.

That was not about thin or thick skin, but how people really believe that every asshole that talks about RPGs comes from the Codex.
Not just that; the fact that they really believe this despite the amount of praise they get being MUCH higher than any dismissive comments. I mean I've made dismissive comments about some of his posts, but compare to how many times I've pointed to one of his blogs and said "you must go read it now, it's really good" (hell I had just done it this week). Most of the other posts in this thread are the latter actually, and octavius has frequently made (very very good and totally not antagonistic) posts on his blog. This is why I was reminded of Vogel. Back when Vogel accused the Codex of wanting him dead (or whatever that idiocy was) he was one of the most admired and best-reviewed CRPG developers here (keep in mind, that was JUST after Avadon was released, and until then, the Codex loved pretty much every single one of his other games. In fact Avadon was the only game he'd ever made that was more or less unanimously criticized here). It's not that I really care about their criticisms, I know what this place is like (all of it, the good, the bad and the ugly); I'm just baffled how they come to these conclusions.

The reason I lose respect for them is that the only way I can fathom reaching these conlusions is by purposefully pretending 95% of the discussion doesn't exist, taking the remaining 5%, and then mentally copy/pasting that onto everything else. It's disingenuous. I lose respect for people when I think they're being disingenuous. This won't affect my ability to read his posts and enjoy them (or in Vogel's case, of enjoying his good games).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, Geneforge was ranked at #47 on our Top 70 RPG of all time list, arguably the highest honor of the sort that Vogel ever got, yet he still acts as if we despise him and everything he does...

:Flash:

Arcane
I don't know, perhaps I don't know the history of this little feud enough, but to me this seemed more like having a little fun at the Codex's expense than seriously thinking that every spammer on the net is a member of the Codex.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Perhaps, but Sceptic's post was about Anthony Davis coming here certain that the angry mob at the Obsidian forums was from the Codex, and how he was wrong in the end. And that's what I brofisted.

Delterius

Arcane
The Codex is a seething mass of inanity with the random odd tidbit of quality here and there, further its been around for very, very long. With such infamy comes misunderstandings. Why, the BSN is utterly convinced we are all mondblut and hate PS:T.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
He's done some p.good crpg reviews, but whenever he posts other stuff on his blog or forums, it's obvious he is a prima donna. Partially due to the fanboys that constantly tell him how awesome he is. People like that can't last on the codex, and the butthurt sometimes carries on forever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom