Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

Cosmic Bane

Educated
I don't think the cRPG Addict is lying. What I have to wonder is what does he expect to get out of this. I had a short-lived run of "cRPG history" before I realized I was wasting my fucking time. Life is short, and I'd rather have fun with my cRPGs than playing every cRPG ever made, in chronological order, for no real reason.

I commend his patience, but literally that's all I can commend: playing old cRPGs isn't a virtue, patience is. The only worthwile thing we get out of his cRPG habit is to check up on hidden gems. Look at his "best rated", "cRPGs that give you a full sense of the history" and so on lists, and realize he isn't really discovering anything new: Omega is pretty much the only outstanding game when it comes to "obscure yet good". I don't want to call his blog pointless because he is obviously enjoying what he is doing, but drug addicts also love drugs and...

The fact he doesn't seem to ever enjoy anything just makes it seem more unlikely this is an honest effort.

No cRPG addict isn't lying

It's obvious by now he has to be lying. It's like a guy reviewing Star Trek after binge watching and he has no idea who captain kirk or spock are. FFS he did not even get the umpteen million star trek references in M&M how is that even possible.

(Cosmic Bane, you sound like a prime piece of retard, what's up with that),

no u

but he also doesn't sound like someone who is enjoying what he is doing and he makes a lot of games sound worse due to this "style" of his

My guess is that at some point he'll either be writing a book or starting a website and then getting donations/orders or something like that.

Last time I looked he would have to be spending 60-80 hours a week to make it through all these games. Yeah, right. I could believe it if his reviews ever showed ANYTHING you could not get by skimmimg the web or reading the box cover, but they never do, and there are always loads of incorrect 'facts' in every post.

Cosmic Bane

Educated
There is that, there's also being open and honest with why they were bombed in the first place, and pretty much all recountings of the nukes now exclude what led to why they were nuked, especially their leaderships refusal to surrender and desire to drag as many Allies (and Japanese) with the to hell as they could. The biggest part was yet to come before the end came as they decided to strip the countryside of all food to feed their bloated army of soldiers and civilians in the south fully knowing that millions that would starve as a result and not caring, since they couldn't be brought south to also take part in the massive banzai charge. Blockade and Bombardment would have oddly killed millions as well in the cities and in that army while saving those millions of farmers by destroying the rail network and so the governments ability to take all that food.

It is a position so heavily hung to in Japan that I was honestly surprised to find out that the descendants of those that survived the Tokyo firebombings actually sued their government a decade ago citing the government as the ones primarily responsible for it for not ending the war before the firebombing campaign happened when it was clear they had lost long before it began (no surprise it was dismissed out of hand by the government). It's really odd that the Japanese seem unable to really, directly face what their country did during WWII under their government while at the same time finding ways to have it leak out, but not enough to squarely hang shame on themselves (like in Godzilla how he's born from Japanese fiddling with nuclear energy).

All they could do is draw that clear distinction between the governments action and how individuals got caught up, both willingly and unwillingly, in what they did without fully hanging irredeemable shame upon themselves like the Germans have, but it seems that, as much as they have reduced the power of the Emperor and added in total civilian control over the government, it's a step too far that most want to take, as if they themselves are the ones most wedded to the idea of collective responsibility but don't want to take responsibility for it collectively.

Japan would have been starved out within a month, there was really no point to nukes except to scare the ruskies.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Last time I looked he would have to be spending 60-80 hours a week to make it through all these games. Yeah, right. I could believe it if his reviews ever showed ANYTHING you could not get by skimmimg the web or reading the box cover, but they never do
Except for all those screenshots and even videos of him finishing hundreds of games, right?

Such low effort alt.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Whenever he reviews any games I played, virtually everything he posts about it is just factually wrong. ... Hero's Quest is MUCH more difficult than LSL in ANY incarnation. In addition to the fact you instantly die if you are outside when it turns dark, there's also lots of puzzles where timing is very important and it can take dozens of tries to get it right

Factually wrong like claiming you die when being outside at night in Hero's Quest? :0/5:

Or maybe that the puzzles are so hard that they require dozens of tries? :0/5:

You're a fucking moron and a shitty troll.

Cosmic Bane

Educated
Last time I looked he would have to be spending 60-80 hours a week to make it through all these games. Yeah, right. I could believe it if his reviews ever showed ANYTHING you could not get by skimmimg the web or reading the box cover, but they never do
Except for all those screenshots and even videos of him finishing hundreds of games, right?

Such low effort alt.
One lying fraud reviewer defending another.

He probably plays a little of the games then uses save games and photoshop from a few random images of the game to 'prove' he played them. There is nothing in his reviews in either picture or word form that shows he played anything.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I think you really have to force the addict to offer some proof of real playtime footage

Also ask him for his IQ, it's probably much lower than yours

Cosmic Bane

Educated
Factually wrong like claiming you die when being outside at night in Hero's Quest? :0/5:

You get eaten by nightguants if you rest outside after dark, and it often gets dark before you realize it/before the actual scenery turns dark.

You obviously never played it or don't remember it then.

410+Brigand+Camp.JPG

Good luck running through that in one go on your first try.

Or the burglary sections

sciv_330.png

You're a lying moron.

Cosmic Bane

Educated
Japan would have been starved out within a month, there was really no point to nukes except to scare the ruskies.

Regardless oh how long B&B lasted the deathtoll would have been in the millions.

Millions might starve but that is up to them. Millions of US casualties? There could be no US casulaties without a direct invasion which was not necessary.

mediocrepoet

Patron

You get eaten by nightguants if you rest outside after dark, and it often gets dark before you realize it/before the actual scenery turns dark.

Being outside and resting outside are different things.

You obviously never played it or don't remember it then.

410+Brigand+Camp.JPG

Good luck running through that in one go on your first try.

Or the burglary sections

sciv_330.png

You're a lying moron.

Actually, I didn't find the burglary sections bad at all and I didn't have "dozens of times" failing at the brigand ambush either. I also found the back door well before I ever bothered running the ambush. And even if you can't figure out how to get through it (it's not hard, seriously), you can actually run back off screen. But I guess that wouldn't occur to a super genius non-troll like yourself. Were you able to read when you played it?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Only a real autist would think an autist would rather spend time assembling fake screenshots and writing fake reviews than to think this guy is just simply not that competent at times.
I read the blog too and there have been tons of games he has liked, particularly recently. I understand the articles are long and have many words so it's easy to miss.

This doesn't excuse the guy being a massive clueless mangina with shit taste, though, but holy fuck, the autism to even think such a thing is off the charts. I don't often ignore someone but that kind of dedication earned you a spot on the list of honor.

Forum should just auto-hide/ignore any post by a T-1 year+ account, everyone not yet of one year account age.

Cosmic Bane

Educated

Actually, I didn't find the burglary sections bad at all and I didn't have "dozens of times" failing at the brigand ambush either. I also found the back door well before I ever bothered running the ambush. And even if you can't figure out how to get through it (it's not hard, seriously), you can actually run back off screen. But I guess that wouldn't occur to a super genius non-troll like yourself. Were you able to read when you played it?

Well, you're obviously just full of shit and disagreeing just because you love your precious CRPGAddict so much. In QFG there is a lot of dying. It's not a difficult game for the time by any means, but the comparison is fucking Leisure Suit Larry. In both games you immediately die if you try stupid things, you can even die picking your nose in QFG. But there are definitely NO unexpected deaths in LSL, and plenty of them in QFG.

I definitely died a couple times each of the robbery scenes and did not expect it was somewhere you might die, and have to say anyone who claims they didn't is full of shit. They are not extremely difficult but they take both timing and trial and error.

And you can avoid some of that crap in the end game but not the worst of it as I recall. Not without the cheat manual anyway.

I played every single LSL up through seven, no cluebooks. The only time I died totally unexpectedly is I died of thirst on a raft because I did not bring a drink along with me. That was not really unfair though, you expect in an adventure game to same the game all the time anyway, and the deaths were general amusing.

At any rate his claim that LSL is full of unfair puzzles and deaths and QFG is much easier and fairer is plain retarded and anyone who played both games could not possibly agree with that.

Cosmic Bane

Educated
Only a real autist would think an autist would rather spend time assembling fake screenshots and writing fake reviews than to think this guy is just simply not that competent at times.
I read the blog too and there have been tons of games he has liked, particularly recently. I understand the articles are long and have many words so it's easy to miss.

This doesn't excuse the guy being a massive clueless mangina with shit taste, though, but holy fuck, the autism to even think such a thing is off the charts. I don't often ignore someone but that kind of dedication earned you a spot on the list of honor.

Forum should just auto-hide/ignore any post by a T-1 year+ account, everyone not yet of one year account age.

Reviews do that shit all the time. He likely does play some games through all the way but it's easy to fake a playthrough of a game with his writing style, 95% of which is nonspecific crap like 'blah blah I put 9 hours into the starter dungeon' and 'there is not enough stuff to spend my money on' which don't give any meaningful info on the game at all.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Well, you're obviously just full of shit and disagreeing just because you love your precious CRPGAddict so much. In QFG there is a lot of dying. It's not a difficult game for the time by any means, but the comparison is fucking Leisure Suit Larry. In both games you immediately die if you try stupid things, you can even die picking your nose in QFG. But there are definitely NO unexpected deaths in LSL, and plenty of them in QFG.

I definitely died a couple times each of the robbery scenes and did not expect it was somewhere you might die, and have to say anyone who claims they didn't is full of shit. They are not extremely difficult but they take both timing and trial and error.

And you can avoid some of that crap in the end game but not the worst of it as I recall. Not without the cheat manual anyway.

I played every single LSL up through seven, no cluebooks. The only time I died totally unexpectedly is I died of thirst on a raft because I did not bring a drink along with me. That was not really unfair though, you expect in an adventure game to same the game all the time anyway, and the deaths were general amusing.

At any rate his claim that LSL is full of unfair puzzles and deaths and QFG is much easier and fairer is plain retarded and anyone who played both games could not possibly agree with that.

I haven't read his blog in years.

I've never played LSL because it doesn't interest me.

I put QFG in my all-time favourites and know the game very well. Your nonsense about bald faced lies while simultaneously spreading misinformation and disrespecting a fantastic game bothered me. Other than that, you're a complete dipshit as far as I can tell. Anyway, enjoy.

Beastro

Arcane
Millions might starve but that is up to them. Millions of US casualties? There could be no US casulaties without a direct invasion which was not necessary.

The latter: None from the Allies since by then the invasions were effectively off the table. The former: Yes, but in the end the result was the same without such massive casualties, not that it was foreseen that way, but the Allies avoided unnecessary acts if only for efficiencies sake, which was why Kyoto wasn't on the city bombing list due to its lack of industry and cultural significance.

Cosmic Bane

Educated
I haven't read his blog in years.

I've never played LSL because it doesn't interest me.
Then you should shut the fuck up because you are commenting on something you know nothing about.

I put QFG in my all-time favourites and know the game very well. Your nonsense about bald faced lies while simultaneously spreading misinformation and disrespecting a fantastic game bothered me. Other than that, you're a complete dipshit as far as I can tell. Anyway, enjoy.
You're the liar. You said there are no nightgaunts and you commented on something you know nothing about. You never played LSL and obviously don't know shit about QFG either. You lied and said you never die from puzzles in QFG, when you do all the time. What kind of fucking idiot are you?

I guess you are the perfect audience, can't fact check anything he says so you swallow his bullshit whole.

Cosmic Bane

Educated
One of the things I didn't really cover during my in-game postings was all the fun and creative ways that you can die in the game (or otherwise get the game to come to an end), other than simply being killed by monsters. The ones I experienced include:

• Getting caught while burglarizing houses
  • Trying to kill the thieves in the alley or Bruno at the gate (they use poison daggers)
  • Trying to kill the castle guards
  • Falling off a variety of things while your hit points are too low
  • Sleeping in an unsafe area (you get eaten by a "night gaunt," this game's version of a grue)
  • Trying to harm the fairies in the mushroom circle at night (they dance you to death)
  • Trying to kill the white stag, then visiting the dryad (she turns you into a stag)

• Going to Baba Yaga's place and saying "HUT OF BROWN NOW SIT DOWN" while standing under it
  • "PICK NOSE" when lockpicking skill is low
  • Ringing the bell on the front gate of the bandit fortress
  • Falling in any of the numerous traps in the bandit fortress, or failing to negotiate the action bit in the dining hall
  • Trying to kill the giant
  • Walking too close to Barnard when he's in bear form

Even CRPG Addict lists all the ways you can die in QFG. It's the same exact shit as in LSL (except more often in QFG) yet in LSL he complains how difficult things are and how easy you die (which has no penalty so is baffling).

Since you can pull lists like this off the net, it just screams fake review by asshole who never played game all the way or powered through it with cheats.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Accusing the RPG Addict of pretending to finish all those games is pretty stupid. He provides his own screenshots of final sections of most games, self-made maps of really huge games and sometimes even adds a youtube video of the final encounter. And why would he adjust the screenshots with Photoshop? It would take more time than finishing some of these titles...

I don't know why he does his thing (playing every rpg ever made, usually to completion) but I'm grateful for the effort. I had great fun reading his adventures in Fate: Gates of Dawn, propably more fun that I'd had finishing it myself. And it took me just an hour or two to read these blogposts, as opposed to 200-300 hours needed to complete the beast.

He finds true gems among piles of shit. We can all profit from his journeys. So what if he likes Oblivion and Fallout 3? To each his perversion. I actually enjoyed Two Worlds. People cannot be serious and monocled all the time.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I don't think the cRPG Addict is lying. What I have to wonder is what does he expect to get out of this. I had a short-lived run of "cRPG history" before I realized I was wasting my fucking time. Life is short, and I'd rather have fun with my cRPGs than playing every cRPG ever made, in chronological order, for no real reason.

Well, people did warn you.
But it's perfectly possible to both play games chronologically and have fun at the same time. I know I do. And I've played lots of games that are obscure but good, games I would otherwise have missed.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
LOL at "What is he getting out of it?"

The same thing that you are getting out of posting on this forum: expressing yourself and your opinions to others.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't believe that this discussion is happening. Do you seriously not realize that Cosmic Bane is just a shitposting troll who just spouts retarded nonsense on purpose to trigger people? He is probably an alt as well. Just ignore the fuck and move on.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
define shitposting

Shitposting (sometimes spelled shit posting and abbreviated to SP) is a method in which a poster assume the roles of characters on a forum. Posters take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within many posts succeed or fail to trigger other posters according to an informal system of rules and forum sensitivities.

Alternatively:

4131.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom