Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPG History Abridged - The Video Series - Episode 2 Albion

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So, this week I'm stranded far from my computer, with only After Effects and DOSBox... thus, this was born:

I always wanted to make videos (I'm a goddamn editor, ffs) and Ludo Lense 's incursion into the land of YouTube was quite inspiring, so I decided it was a good waste of my time to try it too.

Instead of doing massive reviews & in-depth analysis, I want to go in the opposite direction, with short 2-3 minutes videos about more obscure RPGs, like I do in my CRPG History Abridged series at Gamasutra. No long intros, awkward camera stares or annoying YouTube personalities, just the game.

Please tell me what you think, if you would watch more of these and how unbearable my huehuenglish is.

Cazzeris

The video was really nice. If your intention was to make the viewer want to play older CRPGs, then I'd say this is quite succesful for a first try since the emphasis on showing the game as something accessible is very clear.

As for the voice..., English isn't my main language and I've managed to understand you pretty well, so no complains from me in that regard.

Definitely looking forward to watching more of your videos (specially if you decide to resume your majestic RPG Codex Chronicles). :bro:

pippin

If you can, try to get a better microphone or just try to adjust the sound in a better way. The background was too loud and your voice was too low for my taste, and it can be distracting. But otherwise, it's a cool, simple and informative format. I didn't actually noticed the FRAPS problems you mentioned, but it's not like 1080p60fps was a thing back then.
Try to link (or at least mention) where you can buy this game today. Many people won't bother with DosBox or won't understand it, so if you want to get new crowds interested in these games, it could be better if you just direct them to GoG or Steam, depending on the availability. Besides, there's a chance you get a deal in exchange of the traffic you create.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Tis' an honor to be an inspiration to the Brazilian Chronicler. Certainly a better first attempt than my stuff (for the record I consider my Risen video the first one...the other two videos are there because I am sentimental).

Some feedback:
- Lower the sound while you are talking and spike it when you are not (the key frames shouldn't take too long to make). Your accent is very thick and it helps to hear you loud and clear.
-This helps me immensely and it is easier for you since your videos are going to be much shorter: do a silent recording where you are trying to recording your voice without the mic and then do it for real. You will identify awkward sentences and have a much clearer view of the internal rhythm of the text. You will step on words with more confidence and this will help with your accent.
-I'd suggest leaving the subjective points like "The graphics are also amazing..." and approach it with an archivist style "Lands of lore is one of the best examples of the pixel art style used at the time".
- Avoid the structure of sentence->example->sentence->example since it has diminishing effect on the audience.

And a suggestion:
- Have a bookend phrase that sums up the game. You start with it and finish with it (you can change it a little to avoid repetition). You want to the distill the essence of the game at the beginning of the video since this is a presentation rather than a critique or a review.

Renevent

Cipher
I really enjoyed it...I also like it's relative brevity. You cover the it's history, basic gameplay and game structure, and cover the game's high points.

What game is next? Taking suggestions? I'd personally love to see something like Darksun or Pool of Radiance.

Unwanted

Fag Disabler

Unwanted
You sound like a khajiit talking speaking through a closed door, this was my only annoyance. Neat video. Shilling the GOG release at the end wouldn't have hurt, newfags needs a quest compass.
if you would watch more of these
I would, especially if you go for less mainstream games in the future that I might not have played but I suppose this series is for people new to the genre which is fine.

buzz

Arcane
Great video :greatjob:

If you want a little improvement to the huenglish and if you're reading from a script, you could try uploading the script on YouTube's caption system and make subtitles out of it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Thanks for the tips guys. Not sure about buying a microphone right now, but I'll try to fix the rest in future videos.
P. good. What a random choice of first entry though :M
I like Lands of Lore a lot, and think it still looks and play very well today. The idea is to make people want to play older RPGs, so it's a good first choice.

What game is next? Taking suggestions? I'd personally love to see something like Darksun or Pool of Radiance.
Yeah, feel free to suggest games. I was thinking of doing Albion, since I still have the saved games around and it's a very obscure game.
- Avoid the structure of sentence->example->sentence->example since it has diminishing effect on the audience.
Not sure about this... in a 20 minute video, sure. But for 2 minutes? I think it works well, and allows people to form their own opinions.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, this week I'm stranded far from my computer, with only After Effects and DOSBox... thus, this was born:

I always wanted to make videos (I'm a goddamn editor, ffs) and Ludo Lense 's incursion into the land of YouTube was quite inspiring, so I decided it was a good waste of my time to try it too.

Instead of doing massive reviews & in-depth analysis, I want to go in the opposite direction, with short 2-3 minutes videos about more obscure RPGs, like I do in my CRPG History Abridged series at Gamasutra. No long intros, awkward camera stares or annoying YouTube personalities, just the game.

Please tell me what you think, if you would watch more of these and how unbearable my huehuenglish is.

Not bad and your huehuenglish was passable :P. Why not just use the reviews from the book with the video scenes? Space them out or adjust them when needed but those reviews tell you most of what is needed and with the visuals added it becomes... complete. Think of it as the "DVD version/companion" of your book.

... or let me record the lines as I was always told I have a great radio voice :smug:

Jocund

Novice
I think it was great. I like the choice of Lands of Lore, too, because it's rather obscure to most people. It's not very useful to try and inform people about games that they already know about.

EDIT: Just noticed you specified "obscure" rpgs in your title post, whoops. Good choice all the same.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Why not just use the reviews from the book with the video scenes? Space them out or adjust them when needed but those reviews tell you most of what is needed and with the visuals added it becomes... complete. Think of it as the "DVD version/companion" of your book.
Different medias, it wouldn't work well. The phrasings would sound awful when read aloud, and most reviews would be too long.

The idea is to be quick and direct, 2-3 minutes long, so that I can make it in a couple of hours. The 2-pages reviews would take like 8-12 minutes, and require way too much work recording and editing video.

Great choice of game. I enjoyed this video and had no problem understanding you, and English is my native language. I only have one small quibble. It's my opinion that the music and sound effects of the game in question should be lowered a bit to be more in line with the volume of your narration. Otherwise, Bravo and you have gained a new subscriber.
:thumbsup:

Arulan

Cipher
Between your Gamasutra articles, upcoming book, and now videos, you're putting out more interesting journalism than the professionals. :incline:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
You should perhaps create a little introduction video about yourself and the series. The way it is. I think its a bit confusing that you give this such a grand title as History of CRPGs I and its just a video about Lands of Lore and you start talking without any introduction. From the title I'd really expect some kind of chronological overview or something. Particularly to viewers who do not know your background, it may help to know that you are writing a book about RPGs and so on. If you commit to this as a regular series, have an introduction which says who you are, what you do (CRPG book) and what your goals with these videos is (and what not) and say a few words in the beginning of the videos about why you picked this specific game. This will help putting your videos in context and give new viewers an idea what you are about.

I watched it without sound and I think the concept is cool. What is missing are links to the games you are fronting, because I want to try those games.

Good. We need more Codex Propaganda!
There are problems with a voice which were addressed before. Also I would say I quite prefer longer yt videos to short ones. Quite possible most of the target audience would prefer it too.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Also I would say I quite prefer longer yt videos to short ones. Quite possible most of the target audience would prefer it too.
There are many of these out there already... Matt Chat has a 26 minute video dedicated to Lands of Lore. That's not what I want, these get tiresome, are troublesome to edit and attract only hardcore fans.

You should perhaps create a little introduction video about yourself and the series. The way it is. I think its a bit confusing that you give this such a grand title as History of CRPGs I and its just a video about Lands of Lore and you start talking without any introduction. From the title I'd really expect some kind of chronological overview or something. Particularly to viewers who do not know your background, it may help to know that you are writing a book about RPGs and so on. If you commit to this as a regular series, have an introduction which says who you are, what you do (CRPG book) and what your goals with these videos is (and what not) and say a few words in the beginning of the videos about why you picked this specific game. This will help putting your videos in context and give new viewers an idea what you are about.
This is a very good idea, thanks :)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
RIP Westwood. They had a diverse range of different games covering many genres and most of their games were good. A very rare thing back then, even rarer now. Nice video, do you plan on making more? Wouldn't be bad if you could make them a few minutes longer, but I understand that the idea isn't necessarily to make 30 minute long videos. 3-5 minutes should be nice.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
You're a good man, Felipe. Subscribed.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom