Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy's (Mostly Technical) Initial Impressions™ of The Witcher 3

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Hello and welcome to another episode of Crispy's Initial Impressions. This time we're going to be looking at a game that has caused Codex much consternation so far, CDPR's latest creation, the vaunted Witcher 3.

After many many months of anticipation on my part, the infamous downgrade in the graphics engine of Witcher 3 really put me off to it. I had known from the start when looking at all the initial (amazing) screenshots that something was too good to be true. I remember commenting and speculating about its unbelievable visual fidelity and specifically its amazingly open-world design (not just a large map, but what had appeared to be entire building interiors that had no visible hard entryways, thus giving the illusion of not requiring any loading screens for them) and secretly doubting they could pull it off. Well, I was right, although transitions to interiors seem like they're still pulled off smoothly and loaded in the background.

However, despite the huge hit the terrain, vegetation, textures and most other models used in the game took, Witcher 3 is still quite a beautiful game.

In contemplating whether or not to go ahead and buy the game on Steam, I read as much here on Codex about it as I could stand/stomach. More of a morbid curiosity at first -- so strong was my desire to skip the game entirely due to mostly butthurt over the graphics downgrade -- that I just jumped right in to its megathread and soaked in the hatred most seemed to be heaping upon it. And it does deserve quite a bit of it, but for other reasons which I'll touch on only somewhat below. What I kept hearing was that if anything, the game still looked good. Apparently its extremely detailed character models and its overall appearance was quite impressive even in its neutered state. So, after debating it for a while, and you know me -- weak-willed when it comes to shiny new popamolers -- I dove in.

I like the game. I do appreciate its beauty. The Witcher 3 has a pleasing, granular or natural look to it. Maybe not unlike Gothic in some ways, obviously much more detailed, but I think its best feature artistically is its consistency across the board. Geralt, although he moves like a recent stroke patient, is very well modeled as are all other major NPC's. The filler NPC's aren't so great, but they're not distractingly bad. Terrain is... realistic? There are well-done geographical features like believable bluffs, beaches, gulleys, escarpments, etc. Exploring, so far, is fun for us hiking sim fans. Playing with the minimap off, I'm almost overwhelmed by the size of the environment, and I intend on playing through the entire game that way. I'd rather rely on Geralt's Witcher sense to spot hidden enemies and my own basic sense of direction and reasonably well-developed powers of observation (along with the world map) to locate my objectives. Gives me the sensation that I'm not completely brain-dead playing a game like this, yet.

Performance is, as they say, a mixed bag. Witcher 3 requires some good amount of tweaking to wrestle into a sweet spot for fidelity/framerate nirvana. For me, adding in the SLI factor always makes things even more interesting. I spent basically a full day struggling to get the Nvidia driver that's required (352.86) to get a proper SLI profile in Witcher 3, just to stabilize. Lots of complaints on Nvidia's forums about this driver TDR'ing (crashing to desktop) all over the place. But I fought through it. Seems that a re-installation of it was necessary, even though I always do driver installs the "correct" way with a DriverSweeper cleaning in-between anyway. Don't overclock your GPU's when running this game; it's extremely sensitive to that and will crash within minutes, most people including myself are discovering.

But once I got the driver to calm down, once I got my two 760's scaling well in the game, and once I got all settings where I like them (more below), now I'm enjoying 1920x1200 at 60fps 95% of the time, dipping into the 50's only when in a village or extremely thick/detailed forest areas. Smooth framerate is important in any action game, which is what this game clearly is, so don't discount its importance. I can't imagine trying to get Geralt to roll, roll, roll his way to victory against some hapless bear at 30fps. The graphics whore in me would be appalled anyway.

I like:

- Textures and anything that has to do with the environment like Sharpness and terrain details at Ultra
- Grass density and Foliage distance I had to back down somewhat, at Medium or High
- Shadow quality I left at High, not Ultra. The shadows in this game generally look p. bad, no matter what setting they're at, but at Ultra there's a large enough performance hit to not bother. Further tweaking of the shadows settings in the user settings .ini file is something I may experiment more with, using Nvidia's decent Witcher 3 tweaking guide.
- Antialiasing off. I'd like to run with it on but it's too much of a strain. The game looks great at my resolution without it anyway, and I'd rather have the smoothness in framerate compared to some fuzzy AA. Further driver improvements and patches may allow for it later.
- Most of the post-processing features like DoF and the fish-eye thing I left on. They're nice-looking to me. I actually enjoy using Witcher sense and having that chromatic effect on. It doesn't hurt my framerate and it reminds me I'm in that view mode, although having it bound to right mouse button as a modal is reminder enough. *shrug*
- HairWorks is a joke. There's such a dramatic hit to performance that it's not even a question. There's also enough decent wind-blowing effects going on without it that I don't miss it at all. It might be nice to see it in action on certain creatures, but for just a few moments until I kill them? Forget it. I'll just LARP that Geralt and company all use some hairspray in the morning and that he waxes his beard.

As far as the gameplay itself, and I'll keep this brief as it's already been dissected thoroughly by the experts here at RPG Codex, I like some aspects of it and wince severely at others.

- The combat maneuvering is amazingly awkward. You're forced to try to tease single targets out of a group of them to take on one-on-one (which is much easier, obviously) than to dive into a group, which is what Geralt, especially at this stage of his career, should be able to do, because your targeting jumps all over the place when doing so. Locking on to a single target is suicide when taking on a group, particularly if you play on one of the harder difficulty settings. Against monsters I find myself just spam clicking, against bandits and the like if I can get them into a fencing match, there's some enjoyment there timing the ripostes and so forth. Still trying to get used to it.
- As mentioned, exploration is fun to this point. Could drastically change considering the size of the game. Others have commented (cursed) that the game gets repetitive, but I would imagine the seasoned hiker won't necessarily mind. I enjoy riding Roach; Night Goat was commenting earlier today that the horseback movement was done much better than the on-foot movement. I agree.
- Conversations and dealing with the denizens of the game are actually fun, but I fear this may devolve soon if/when I start running into more and more familiar-looking faces. I don't know yet if there's a lot of copy-pasting of the major NPC's. I hope not. Geralt's voice is pleasingly in-line with what I remember from the previous games. All other voice acting seems top-notch, at least in English.
- The interface, inventory screens, HUD, crafting screens, etc. seem plain, utilitarian. I hate the consolization, of course, but I'm numb to it by now so I deal with it. No way I'm going to hook up a controller. KB/mouse for me or just go ahead and bury me out back. At least with the 1.04 patch everything is re-mappable now.

I'll conclude in what must sound like typical fashion to my fans: For anyone still on the fence about Witcher 3, I think it's worth it. CDPR probably made, I grudgingly admit, the best choice when it comes strictly to doing what they had to do to make the performance of the game acceptable. I truly lament the loss of the amazing graphics that were advertised all those months ago, but if it were to have taken thousands in upgrades to get them playable, it would have been a fatal blow to their commitment, thin as it seems to be, to PC support.

If you're lucky enough to have a truly powerful gaming rig, you'll be quite pleased nonetheless. For Twitcher, if you get two out of the three needed to hit home -- that is, 1. Still-good-looking graphics, 2. Good to great NPC interaction and mood/feel, with missing out on 3. Good combat/gameplay -- you've still got an enjoyable game. Again, these are just initial impressions, but with a hiker like this one usually the first few hours will tell you whether it's worth it to spend the time tweaking the game and putting up with its flaws in order to wander around or not. Skyrim was generally worth it. Oblivion lost its hiking charm p. quickly although Shivering Isles brought it back somewhat. Risen 2, forget it. Witcher 3 has "it" but in some ways just barely. If Geralt's walking/running/jumping/climbing mechanic were cleaned and tightened up, brought more into line with the responsiveness/feeling of riding Roach is, it'd be a no-brainer. As it is, it's "good enough" for me.

All that, combined with what I hope holds up as an interesting story and environment, and I don't regret my Steam purchase of the game. Still, I kind of wish I'd have begged for a key for the game in the Giftstravaganza thread.

Yeah, like anyone would have given me one.

Last edited:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I enjoy riding Roach; Night Goat was commenting earlier today that the horseback movement was done much better than the on-foot movement.
No I didn't. I commented that the boat movement was much better than on-foot or horse movement, both of which feel like piloting an actual boat.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Hello and welcome to another episode of Crispy's Initial Impressions. This time we're going Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.

Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.

Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi.

Nam liber tempor cum soluta nobis eleifend option congue nihil imperdiet doming id quod mazim placerat facer possim assum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis.

At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam nonumy eirmod tempor invidunt ut labore et dolore magna aliquyam erat, sed diam voluptua. At vero eos et accusam et justo duo dolores et ea rebum. Stet clita kasd gubergren, no sea takimata sanctus est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, At accusam aliquyam diam diam dolore dolores duo eirmod eos erat, et nonumy sed tempor et et invidunt justo labore Stet clita ea et gubergren, kasd magna no rebum. sanctus sea sed takimata ut vero voluptua. est Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur

bvKJySs.gif

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The Exploration is decent as long as you limit yourself to chasing Question Marks and Quest Objectives.

This game is really missing that sandbox feeling of Morrowind or Skyrim where you can run in a direction and be taken off track by some hidden cave or location you found organically.. Also with great size comes great.. one liner dialogue.

90% of the NPC's in the game are useless fodder. I loved the side Conversations you can eavesdrop on and Amazing amount of detailed Animations / NPC schedules.. makes the world feel lived in, the problem is it doesn't want you to live there too.

Really - Everything breaks down the minute you try and interact with the world.. the minimap is your best friend for determining who / what is just there for aesthetics and what is actually part of the game.

This game is a great Single Player RPG but a pretty lackluster sandbox game.

Last edited:

Ptosio

Arcane
. Also with great size comes great.. one liner dialogue.
90% of the NPC's in the game are useless fodder.

How would you expect everyone to be talkable without 90% of the NPCs being copypastes of one another? If you want the world that looks alive, i.e there are thousands of NPCs around you can surely expect that most of them would not have their own handcrafted multi-branched script lines?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
. Also with great size comes great.. one liner dialogue.
90% of the NPC's in the game are useless fodder.

How would you expect everyone to be talkable without 90% of the NPCs being copypastes of one another? If you want the world that looks alive, i.e there are thousands of NPCs around you can surely expect that most of them would not have their own handcrafted multi-branched script lines?

I never said I wanted that. I don't think having large cities of a BAJILLION npc's is useful if they aren't engaging or important.

Quality over Quantity.

EDIT:
I don't expect every NPC to have a large important narrative driven story.. but it would be nice if they served more purpose then barking at me whenever I walked by with "YOU GOT CAT EYES"

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't quite the complaint about NPCs being not very important, don't think even Gothic had very many of consequence. Khorinis was unnaturally dense, but Old Camp et al had their share of nobodies.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't imagine trying to get Geralt to roll, roll, roll his way to victory against some hapless bear at 30fps. The graphics whore in me would be appalled anyway.

I like:

- Textures and anything that has to do with the environment like Sharpness and terrain details at Ultra
- Grass density and Foliage distance I had to back down somewhat, at Medium or High
- Shadow quality I left at High, not Ultra. The shadows in this game generally look p. bad, no matter what setting they're at, but at Ultra there's a large enough performance hit to not bother. Further tweaking of the shadows settings in the user settings .ini file is something I may experiment more with, using Nvidia's decent Witcher 3 tweaking guide.
- Antialiasing off. I'd like to run with it on but it's too much of a strain. The game looks great at my resolution without it anyway, and I'd rather have the smoothness in framerate compared to some fuzzy AA. Further driver improvements and patches may allow for it later.
- Most of the post-processing features like DoF and the fish-eye thing I left on. They're nice-looking to me. I actually enjoy using Witcher sense and having that chromatic effect on. It doesn't hurt my framerate and it reminds me I'm in that view mode, although having it bound to right mouse button as a modal is reminder enough. *shrug*
- HairWorks is a joke. There's such a dramatic hit to performance that it's not even a question. There's also enough decent wind-blowing effects going on without it that I don't miss it at all. It might be nice to see it in action on certain creatures, but for just a few moments until I kill them? Forget it. I'll just LARP that Geralt and company all use some hairspray in the morning and that he waxes his beard.
Thanks for the hints, Crispy.

Do you really think this game needs 60 FPS for smooth gameplay? My problem is with my 680 I can set it to Ultra (Hairworks off and Foliage Viewing Distance = High) and get rock solid 30+ FPS, with 30 FPS limit set in Riva Tuner Statistics Server for constant performance, or I can turn a lot of stuff down for 60+ FPS - but then the game takes a substantial visual hit, especially since I need to set Foliage Viewing Distance to low - the lack of trees in the distance hurts (the view from the balcony in Kaer Morhen is a good test for that). There is of course visible smoothness difference between 30 and 60, but as far as my testing went, Wild Hunt seems completely playable in 30.

Also, yeah, overclocking. I had to turn down my GPU OC from +90 to +70 Mhz and VRAM from + 400 to stock to keep the game stable. This engine is really touchy about that.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
You're likely nowhere near as picky/anal/fucked up in the head as I am when it comes to action games and framerate. I sometimes have to force myself to just turn Fraps off and enjoy the game.

It's certainly very playable at 30fps+, but to me without attaining that perfect 60, the experience just isn't worth it.

One option I forgot to mention is, under Post Processing, the level of Ambient Occlusion. I was originally running SSAO (HBAO+ being very nice but way too big of a performance hit) but I kept wondering why there was this odd shadow surrounding Geralt like a shroud when certain types of terrain were in front of him. It's the shitty SSAO. So I disabled that, and got an even nicer performance boost from that, naturally.

I'd love to be able to run HBAO (no odd shrouding effect, looks great), but not for another thousand dollars in upgrades I wouldn't.

Ptosio

Arcane
I never said I wanted that. I don't think having large cities of a BAJILLION npc's is useful if they aren't engaging or important.

Quality over Quantity.

EDIT:
I don't expect every NPC to have a large important narrative driven story.. but it would be nice if they served more purpose then barking at me whenever I walked by with "YOU GOT CAT EYES"

So you'd rather have an enpty Novigrad with ~25 people living inside? Or a city that actualy tries to look like "the capital of the world" with majority of its citizens taking care of their own business and neither willing to talk with Geralt nor really having anything to say?

Yes, it may be "just the scenery" but I will always go for the latter as it simply feels right.

In other news, why the hell are people getting this game on Steam? Do you really love Gabel all that much Crispy? Steam's bestselling list is a fucking shame with two games on top that actualy use different (or none) software for DRM and sociall features. Hell, it's no wobder Valve has virtually given up on making their own titles if the players are jumping to give they 1/3 of the money they spend on any game.

With twitcher I'd ratger go retail for it's cheaper and I want the physical good, but why the hell go with steam? When I'm buying a game first I want to reward the developers for their hard work and second make sure they have the resources to make another game to be even better - wjere does donating valve with a heavy pile of dollars get into that equation?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Quality over Quantity.

EDIT:

So you'd rather have an enpty Novigrad with ~25 people living inside? Or a city that actualy tries to look like "the capital of the world" with majority of its citizens taking care of their own business and neither willing to talk with Geralt nor really having anything to say?

I would rather have a representation of Novigrad.. Only allow the player to access or journey down the streets and locations that are actually relevant to the narrative. Or invest more time to make the city feel engaging, repeated conversations are fine, I don't care that every elf sounds the same in Skyrim.

This is one of the few times PoE actually did something right. I don't need Defiance Bay to be filled with 300 useless empty houses to know the city is big.
Make the city as big or small that it needs to be for the content you actually have.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
but why the hell go with steam?

This thread isn't going to devolve into a Steam-bash-fest, but I will answer this. It's because when I drove to my local GameStop and asked if they had Witcher 3 for PC in stock they LOL'd and told me basically no more PC games. It's all about the mighty console, and even retail packages for their games are going away soon.

Forget retail anything. Welcome to the New World Order.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some time ago I made the mistake to buy a "retail copy" of a game in some brick and mortar store.
Steam activation required of course...
And a minor patch of about 30GB or so.
:rage:

Nevar again.

Wut? HBAO costs me a couple fps and I play this on a toaster.

Same here 2-3 fps difference and 5-6 fps difference between off and HBAO

57 FPS is just not playable to Crispy.
Seriously, I haven't been able to notice any performance difference between HBAO+ and SSAO on my single GTX760. People say in game post processing antialiasing is costly too and I never noticed that being the case either. I just run on High preset with Hairworks off and in post processing section I enabled AA, HBAO+, Sharpening, Light Shafts and Bloom. Plus I forced 16xAF in card control panel. Getting 30-40 fps most of the time.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
but why the hell go with steam?

This thread isn't going to devolve into a Steam-bash-fest, but I will answer this. It's because when I drove to my local GameStop and asked if they had Witcher 3 for PC in stock they LOL'd and told me basically no more PC games. It's all about the mighty console, and even retail packages for their games are going away soon.

Forget retail anything. Welcome to the New World Order.
I guess this answers Ptosio's question. Too many people have 'digital = Steam' coded in their heads and do not even consider alternatives.

I think Ptosio meant 'why Steam and not GOG?' rather than 'why Steam and not retail?'.

Ptosio

Arcane
I would rather have a representation of Novigrad.. Only allow the player to access or journey down the streets and locations that are actually relevant to the narrative. Or invest more time to make the city feel engaging, repeated conversations are fine, I don't care that every elf sounds the same in Skyrim.

This is one of the few times PoE actually did something right. I don't need Defiance Bay to be filled with 300 useless empty houses to know the city is big.
Make the city as big or small that it needs to be for the content you actually have.

How do you insert a (vertical:P) slice of a city into 3D open-world RPG? It just wouldn't feel right.

Well I guess this just comes down to different tastes. I don't mind and find it quite natural that most of the people neither want to speak with me nor have anything interesting to tell. I prefer this to clicking through all those 500+ named NPC 95% of whom say exactly the same thing but it's for some reason helluva long thing. They might've as well get rid off those onliners altogether or replace them all with some variant of "fuck off".

This thread isn't going to devolve into a Steam-bash-fest, but I will answer this.

I don't want to derail the thread either but I have to clarify something. Actualy MicroSelva was spot on - when I said I'd rather go retail I mean I would personally buy boxed copy for reasons listed but there's no reason to ever go with Steam for TW3 anyway.

We at this prestigious magazine often demand that developers prioritize PC, that they publish their titles either PC only or at worst together with other platforms and not as a cheap half-baked port, that they stay off from intrusive DRM, that they don't downgrade the game for the console peasants and that they should generally bow down to the PC Master Race. With that, I think, comes some responsibility.

We must strive to make PC a valid platform that developers care to invest in - one of the reasons could be that from any console title sold, Sony or M$ are taking a sizable chunk of developers' money - but Steam takes even more than that (at least 30% AFAIK)!
Now, both the Witcher and GTA have their own digital stores where all the money minus taxes go to the developers - it's also highly unlikely that any of these games are more expensive there a they're now both full price on Steam (well, tWitcher is 40 EUR for me on GOG and comes with a free comic - so would you rather pay 60$/EU of which only ~40$ go to the developer or pay 40$ of which 100% goes to the developer and you get free stuff + DRM-free game?)

I think if we want the developers to treat us seriously we must treat them seriously too and TW3 and GTAV on top of the Steam bestselling list is a great shame for the "Master Race" community:/

made

Arcane
Wut? HBAO costs me a couple fps and I play this on a toaster.

Same here 2-3 fps difference and 5-6 fps difference between off and HBAO

57 FPS is just not playable to Crispy.
Yea but then I'd disable something else instead rather than turning off AO completely because that actually has a strong impact on image quality (ie. looks shit without). But what do I know, Crispy's the tech guy lulz.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I re-enabled occlusion, this time setting it up to HBAO+. Then I simply lowered shadows from high to medium, which restored my precious framerate.

You're absolutely right about needing AO if you care at all about the atmosphere and "feel" of the graphics. Without it it looks like a circus scene. Way too flat and glaring. And the difference in the detail of the shadows at this setting is hard to notice so I'm quite happy now.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Both SSAO and HBAO look like shit, just different kinds of shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom