Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

creative commons graphics packages for blobber/dungeon crawler style game

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
Hey guys, after I'm done with my current project I really want to make a blobber/dungeon crawler. Since I can only make low res pixel art, I'm looking to license (or use free) graphics, especially for enemies/monsters, but ideally also for character paper doll, portraits and GUI. If anyone knows good, ideally non-pixel art graphics packages I could use please post them in this thread.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
Midjourney/stable diffusion.
Can it produce stuff with easily removable background?
you might be able to tell it to do a solid background. then you can use gimp/photoshop to set that color to alpha.
Yes, that's what I had in mind. I was hoping someone would try it out for me because I spent all my free credits on stupid shit like Jeb Bush assassins.
CHKcrzy.png

JEk8Dnt.png

Gahbreeil

Learned
Yes, that's what I had in mind. I was hoping someone would try it out for me because I spent all my free credits on stupid shit like Jeb Bush assassins.
Wait, you want free graphics or graphics you can license and you create graphics that include someone's likeness?

RPK

Scholar
you might be able to tell it to do a solid background. then you can use gimp/photoshop to set that color to alpha.
stable diffusion is free

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
stable diffusion is free
I can see why.

x40iNuy.png

RPK

Scholar
stable diffusion is free
I can see why.

x40iNuy.png
try harder
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nU0IP5TyyAV6e7VpaL3yywKLgQU8S2grvhdzm4SafSk/edit#gid=0

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
stable diffusion is free
I can see why.

x40iNuy.png
try harder
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nU0IP5TyyAV6e7VpaL3yywKLgQU8S2grvhdzm4SafSk/edit#gid=0
These are nice. But they're mostly portraits and close-ups. I need full body for OP purposes. Seems that Stable Diffusion at least is much better with portraits than providing full body monsters I can display properly.
LETHYJQ.png

CQa1MWb.png

UXavF8s.png

RPK

Scholar
yeah, because the prompt specifies close up portraits :) I haven't paid for midjourney so I've never done side by side with it and stable diffusion, but stable diffusion is certainly capable of far better than what you've posted so far. Keep playing with it. try r/dndai/ for some examples of what others have used for prompts, as well, though a lot of them are generating portraits for use in virtual tabletops, so maybe not what you're after. Still, might give you some direction for better results with SD than what you're getting.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
I know they specify close up portraits. Compare the medusa close-up I posted with the full body ones. The portraits are decent, the fully bodies are either only vaguely related or downright abominations. regardless, it's free so I'll play some more with it.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hey guys, after I'm done with my current project I really want to make a blobber/dungeon crawler. Since I can only make low res pixel art, I'm looking to license (or use free) graphics, especially for enemies/monsters, but ideally also for character paper doll, portraits and GUI. If anyone knows good, ideally non-pixel art graphics packages I could use please post them in this thread.
WinUAE and Deluxe Paint is all you need +M
As I see it, if it was good enough for LucasArts and Westwood and thousands of others, it will be good for you.

Or grafx2 if you have a taste for luxury.
http://grafx2.chez.com/

Keep it at 320x240 and apply some nice CRT shader at the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom