Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cortex Command

Thydron

Liturgist
http://datarealms.com/

People, check this out.
It's like a real-time worms / tribes mix & it's ridiculously fun to play (even if it is in early beta)
It's basically free atm, (but you're limited to 5min stints) and they're doing a Mount&Blade type "pay for it cheap now and you've got it forever" thing going on.

I think they could have a massive hit on their hands if they keep working on it.

Thoughts?

Dmitron

Arbiter
Played this a while ago. Found myself getting stuck on the terrain and awful lot. Does look very good though.

Section8

Cipher
I remember playing a version of this at least a year ago, so I'll grab the new version and see how it's come along.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played this a loooong time ago, and it was a lot of fun to experiment with, but a bugger to control with mouse and keyboard. A month ago I tried the new version, and it's gotten better a bit. I guess it owns in multiplayer, as the AI doesn't wreak enough havoc. Also, it would be more fair, as having to mine for gold, choosing reinforcements, defending your bunker and attacking the enemy all at the same time can become quite... demanding.

Thydron

Liturgist
yeah, i may have been a bit over-enthusiastic about this :p.
though, i think it would be much better with more than 1 person per team - a couple people focusing on controlling robots & one guy sorting out reinforcements. basically i want it to be more like tribes.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thydron said:
though, i think it would be much better with more than 1 person per team - a couple people focusing on controlling robots & one guy sorting out reinforcements. basically i want it to be more like tribes.

Theoretically this could be the best multiplayer thing ever when everyone controls one soldier at a time. Team-combat in 2D, what's not to like in it? Really looking forward to the final version of that game, could get really nifty with many players. In single-player it's just too complicated, although fun to mess around.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Thydron said:
Not really. It still looks amazing for an indie game. With a bit of control tweaking it'll be great.

Indie games need our enthusiasm. :)

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I hope thread necro-ing is allowed here

I also discovered CC a few months ago. Controls leave much to be desired at first, but you can easily get the hang of it soon. Not that it can't be improved upon though

I seriously urge those who want something unique to take a look at this. You fail at the interweb if you don't :cool:

udm

Arcane
Patron
It's coming soon, according to the devlog. They're making good progress on the campaign already, but the next upcoming build will feature LUA capabilities, so expect to see mods featuring different game modes soon

Hopefully someone will come up with an old school mod, featuring modes like CTF or Deathmatch

udm

Arcane
Patron
Data's released the much awaited build 21 yesterday. It doesn't have a lot of new content, but it's got LUA fully integrated into the code, which means we should see some interesting maps and mods soon

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This might be old news to whoever remains amongs this thread's posters, but since development on this game was abandoned, fans started building up an open-source community edition.

https://cortex-command-community.github.io/

It has its own mod catalogue, including the obligatory 40k mods, and void wanderers (procedural campaign generator). Can wholeheartedly recommend it; among a plethora of new additions and updates it even includes a crab bomb slider.

1000006366.jpg

toroid

Arcane
I played an absurd amount of modded Cortex Command back in the day, and eventually I grew too frustrated and fell out of love with it due to the dev's negative attitude and lack of commitment and passion. Over a decade later, Noita came into existence and offered that special something which made Cortex Command fun for me, and so much more. As a bonus, Noita's devs are refreshingly competent and passionate. There's no looking back now.

udm

Arcane
Patron
This might be old news to whoever remains amongs this thread's posters, but since development on this game was abandoned, fans started building up an open-source community edition.

https://cortex-command-community.github.io/

It has its own mod catalogue, including the obligatory 40k mods, and void wanderers (procedural campaign generator). Can wholeheartedly recommend it; among a plethora of new additions and updates it even includes a crab bomb slider.

View attachment 46652
Yeah as mentioned in the other thread, I recently got back into CC thanks to the fan-made community edition. Been playing with mods, in particular Void Wanderers. This was one of the modes I always wanted from Cortex Command, a mix of FTL and physics sidescroller action. It's just so good. The meme you posted on top sums up my feelings whenever I boot it up for a quick game.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I played an absurd amount of modded Cortex Command back in the day, and eventually I grew too frustrated and fell out of love with it due to the dev's negative attitude and lack of commitment and passion. Over a decade later, Noita came into existence and offered that special something which made Cortex Command fun for me, and so much more. As a bonus, Noita's devs are refreshingly competent and passionate. There's no looking back now.

I had Noita in my backlog for quite a while - if you're saying it has Cortex Command vibes, then I'm going to need to try it sooner rather than later.

Yeah as mentioned in the other thread, I recently got back into CC thanks to the fan-made community edition. Been playing with mods, in particular Void Wanderers. This was one of the modes I always wanted from Cortex Command, a mix of FTL and physics sidescroller action. It's just so good. The meme you posted on top sums up my feelings whenever I boot it up for a quick game.

VW is amazing, while not really adding all that much to the base game (which is a good thing!). I still have no idea how to upgrade your base/starship, but it holds a strong "one more mission" grasp on my soul.

My CC comfort food is doing the attack on dummy fort mission with W40K weaponry. The author of the mod made the bolters and autocannons so much fun - the way explosive/ AP/ fragmentation/ inferno/ cumulation ammos interact with environment is just sooo good, be it blasting apart soil and concrete, ragdolling bodies around, ripping weaponry out of opponents' hands, setting stuff on fire...

toroid

Arcane
I had Noita in my backlog for quite a while - if you're saying it has Cortex Command vibes, then I'm going to need to try it sooner rather than later.
It most certainly does, at least on the surface.
Noita has a similar destructible environment with each individual material having its own physical characteristics (hardness, buoyancy, reactivity with other materials, etc). It has similar physics-centric gameplay. It has a currency that you can spend in shops to improve your situation; gold nuggets dropped by killed enemies and raw gold that you can mine from the ground. It has a wide range of weapons, with some being extremely destructive. Also, CC's dev DaTa is even given thanks in Noita's end credits (for inspiration I assume).
Where Noita diverges from CC:
- Noita absolutely does not possess the accessible arcade feel that modded CC does.
- Noita's player character movement is much more speedy and fluid, and it can vary wildly based on perks, spells and material / environmental effects.
- The learning curve is long and multi-faceted: Spell effects, individual enemy behaviors and weaknesses, material interactions and wand crafting all need to be studied and experimented with and internalized in order to avoid constant surprise deaths.
- CC's weaponry is pre-made, pre-tuned and ready to use. Designed by someone else (unless you're a modder). Noita's wands have to be crafted by you and your spells are limited to those that you have found, purchased or unlocked. Grasping the basics of wand crafting is enough to achieve one of the endings, but it can get as complex and ridiculous as you want, limited only by your knowledge and understanding and creativity. It's surprisingly impressive and rewarding, and it feels like the game's main feature.
- There are quests. Lots of them. They are not spoon fed or even remotely obvious in most cases, and they can get pretty complex. Rewards include the most destructive spells.

Odds are that you probably won't like it. Noita is very challenging for your first 70 or so hours and it demands your full attention. You have to get sweaty. Because of this most people can't stick with it. I love practically everything about it and it may be the greatest game of all time for me. There is zero handholding and it has been the greatest gaming experience to learn how to play it. I'm 820 hours in and I am far from considering myself a master. I only wish that I could have gone in blind and not spoiled myself by watching gameplay videos and researching the wiki.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom