Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Controversial opinions about RPGs that you know deep down are true.

Max Damage

Savant
I never could get into Fallout 2 because of reference overload and lack of direction. It's a fun game, for sure, but questionable sequel as a whole to Fallout. There was 0 reason to turn it into such clusterfuck, same problem (to a much bigger degree, of course) with Fallout 3.

Norfleet

Bikini armor is fine as long as it's enchanted.
Bikini armor is fine if it's portrayed sensibly: As crappy armor, so give her a big shield. It's not as if going into battle naked is unhistorical. But the thing common to all of the people who did that? Big shields.

I agree. More RPG's should have destructive buildings too.
Like some kind of rampaging gazebo?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Where's the controversy here?

The whole world generally disagrees. Tens of millions of people prefer its sequels and can't stand Fallout 2 because to them it is no fun at all.

No, is just because action sells more. Tactical RPG's teems to have a hard cap on player base about 4 million buyers(not sure) while action RPG's can easily become mainstream. If FL3/4 was exactly the same game, with same production values, but turn based and isometric, it would't have a fraction of his sales. Even Square Enix realized that and on ff7 remake made it real time instead of turn based.

I don't like JRPG's but this fact that actions sells more than non action is a common knowledge among everyone and FF7 remake will probably outsell the classic. You seems to compare AAA action games with tactical indie games to say that AAA is more popular when is not. Most RPG's on the top played on steam ( https://steamcharts.com/top ) are action games.

Path of exile has more players than skyrim, using your appeal to popularity, PoE is better than skyrim in your opinion. PoE picked 132,508 players and skyrim 90,780 (sources steamcharts - skyrim and hsteamcharts - poe) And guess what? PoE is literally Diablo 3 but good. Without all BS made by Jay Wilson.

And as i've said many times >
  • Small studios = produce the best tactical RPG's. Eg : Pathfinder Kingmaker
  • Medium studios = produce the best action RPG's. Eg : Gothic 1/2/3
  • Bigger AAA studios = in order to appeal to the lowest common denominator, produce the most press A for awesome game.

Dragon Age Inquisition is better than Origins.

I have everything about inquisition

• I hate that the game has mmo style fetch quests everywhere
  • I hate that i can't allocate more attributes
  • I hate that spells scale with your weapon DESPITE the option to say that you don't need weapons to be deadly and previous lore
  • I hate cooldowns
  • I hate the romanceable companions
  • I hate that enemies are bullet sponge
  • I hate that dialog wheels
  • I hate that they got rid of blood magic to put the """""necromancy"""""
  • I hate that necromancy is the WORST iteration ever with no redeeming quality
  • I hate the region lock without any advice and the poor translation with therms like "melindroso" that nobody uses at least in my cty
  • I hate that the game has only about 20 spells
  • I hate the ludonarrative dissonance
  • (...)
  • And hate that my refund request """failed"""" some years ago.
Skyrim is far better despite being a flawed game.

Last edited:

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
RPGs before Fallout are not worth playing.

In my opinion, and keep in mind i was 14 years old when Fallout came out so i grew up with those games, but i believe that RPGs before 2010 are not worth playing. You are not missing anything if you are young or you missed them when they were new. RPGs have improved a lot since then in many ways that are important even though spergs on this forum pretend they are not. Like better UIs, control schemes, graphics etc. Older games are obsolete in many ways, and the vast majority of the stories are not worth the hassle. I would never play Neverwinter Nights 2 if i was a young person, for example. Yes it has a nice story, especially Mask of the Betrayer, but it is crappy as a video game and a hassle to control, camera is shit. Not worth spending many hours of your life just to enjoy a story that in the end will not improve your life in any way, it is just a story. Fuck it. Play newer games.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
And another "controversial" (in this forum mainly) opinion:

Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire is the best isometric CRPG of this decade (perhaps of the last 2 decades). In general isometric CRPGs are archaic and obsolete, but if you have to play one, PoE2 is the best there is. It was vastly improved over the original and is leaps and bounds over its competition in many ways that are convienently ignored for some reason.

1) Graphics: PoEII has the best graphics in isometric crpgs, hands down. Its engine is kinda shit to be honest, but the art is top notch and can't be matched. Its competitors are shit in the art department, DOS2 is a cartoony POS and Cuckmaker has very low quality art in general, especially the maps are shit, not to mention that Cuckmaker also has slightly cartoony art. Deadfire has the best art, the most detailed, most beautiful, and the most "realistic", thus it puts you into a more adventurous mood than the others

2) Audio: Awesome voice acting, among the best ever in any crpg in my opinion. And really good music.

3) Best control scheme, scripting, camera control, UI, AI, against its direct competitors. There is no comparison really. Just play DOS2, Pathfinder, and Deadfire in quick succession, and you will quickly realize this point. Deadfire oozes quality design in its interface with the player. DOS2 has many issues, including frequent misclicking, Cuckmaker is even worse and has tons of bugs. Deadfire is like the only 1 made by a professional team, the other 2 feel like they were made by modders. When you are spending 60 80 100 or even 120 hours in an CRPG, being fluid and problem free to control is of top importance

4) Combat System: Frankly, Deadfire has the best combat. It is not as simplistic and cheesy as DOS2 combat and it is not autistic like Kingmaker combat. It is designed by a team of professionals with experience in crpg design and it is well suited to VIDEO GAMES. I enjoyed Deadfire combat much more than the other 2, hands down

5) Open world and sense of adventuring: This is really great. DOS2 is not really open world, it feels more like a hubworld. It feels small. Cuckmaker does feel like an open world but the maps are tiny and traveling the map is a chore. Not to mention the supply thingy that is tedious and boring and has no place in video games. Fuck this shit.

The only thing that was mediocre in Deadfire was the story, quite frankly. And the ending is kinda retarded and makes the whole adventure a waste of time. I think this is the worst part of the game to be honest. It feels like Obsidian was so obssessed with making a quality open world adventure that they didn't think about the main quest at all. It feels like Skyrim in a sense, the main quest is just "there" and you are supposed to go exploring. But unlike Skyrim (which is meant to be a theme park and benefits from having weak main story and quest), Deadfire is a game that could have used a better story and a better main quest line. I think they dropped the ball on this one.

All in all, even with the story and main quest downside, Deadfire is still the best isometric CRPG in my opinion. I think it is really underrated and deserved more sales. And i don't understand why in the codex supposed monocled prestigious rpgers can't see its quality. Are they really so butthurt that Avellone wasn't in it that they had to trash it? Or is shilling for Russian BG clone more important?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Or is shilling for Russian BG clone more important?

Can you transform yourself into a silver dragon and arise a army of darkness on deadfire?

uSKVLJr.jpg

Pillars of eternity is a decent game but is not a masterpiece. Everything did on it is weaker compared to obsidian's own IPs. eg?

• Crossroad keep in nwn2 is far superior to poe1 keep and deadfire ship
  • Firearms on new vegas far better than firearms on deadfire
  • Spellcasting on IWD and icewind dale 2 is far better than spellcasting on deadfire
  • Character building is arguably worse on deadfire with far less options
  • Modding to fix the Sawyerism on NWN2 is far easier than on PoE2 ie - warlock reworked / spell fixes mods
  • (...)

DraQ

Arcane
Completely wrong. D&D was born from WAR GAMING, trying to put fantastic elements and more focus on heroes in this games.
So you could say that original PnP RPGs that are the foundation of cRPGs, have always been just a perversion and decline of wargames, like MOBAS are a perversion of RTSes?

Sounds about right, TBH.

:troll:
:buildawall:
:bunkertime:
:avatard:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So you could say that original PnP RPGs that are the foundation of cRPGs, have always been just a perversion and decline of wargames, like MOBAS are a perversion of RTSes?

Yep. You can put that way. BUT the TTRPG genre evolved. We now have everything, from world of darkness to cyberpunk rpgs. All mobas are almost the same game TBH. And rules for war gaming and large scale combat appears in many TTRPG like Pathfinder.

Namutree

Savant
Fallout 1 and 2 have shitty gameplay.

Fallout 1 is still a good game due to great story, writing, and atmosphere.

Fallout 2 is just dog shit. Shit story, shit writing, shit atmosphere. Yes, even Fallout 3 is better than 2.

I hate that people actually defend Fallout 2. The decline between 1 and 2 is so massive that it's almost shocking. Thank god Bethesda saved the franchise with 3, and now we have the best in the series, Fallout NV.

Obama

Learned
God, just think... you work hard to pay the bills and do the hours all week to afford a better life for you and your pearl of the Orient honey. Friday night, end of the work week, you look forward to going home and being with your lovely Amaya. You saw she recently bought some clothing, putting the puzzle together in your head it forms a cosplay of your favorite anime girl. You know you're getting that tonight and go home just a little quicker.

You enter into your dojo or sliding door thing, I'm racist and think Japan is stuck in the Feudal era, but you walk into your humble abode... and you see it. You're met with it. The squid you were to eat tonight before your passionate lovemaking is on top of your precious Amaya. It has her, but she is making no attempt to resist, if anything she's inviting it. Oh my God, and she's even dressed as your videogame waifu while taking it. She's screaming, hollering, saying whatever is Japanese for "FUCK ME SQUID-SAMA" and you can only watch. You're frozen as this impossibly hung cephalopod is having its way with your girl.

But what can you do? You're a powerless and goofy little gaijin. You can only watch, tears in your eyes, and jerk off in shame.

You've been ink'd.

shudders

That's the way she goes, sometimes.

Best post on the Codex 2020?

:love:

Namutree

Savant
Another opinion: Crafting in RPGs needs to be toned down. Itemization in a lot of RPG games suffer due to crafting features that need not exist. Every time I hear a new RPG lets you craft your own gear, I die a little inside.

Crafting isn't ALWAYS a bad thing, if you're playing a game that's very simulation oriented like Elderscrolls, but it had no place in games like Pillars of Eternity, and it's presence made the game worse.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The F1 vs F2 debates are p silly. These are very similar games on the general level. It's just that there is much more of everything in F2, more good stuff, but also more stupid shit. And the ending part is obviously a rushed mess, yeah.

RPGs before Fallout are not worth playing.

Isometric perspective is inherently less immersive.
Spot the flaw in this logic.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Crossroad keep in nwn2 is far superior to poe1 keep and deadfire ship

Every stronghold in an RPG, including kingmaker and BG2, is entirely half-baked and a waste of time.

Wrong. They are good to make you feel more like a part of your world, instead of a murderhobo, give unique things, and has decision making in it. Your kingdom management affects some quests on kingmaker and the final chapter difficulty is proportional to how well builded your crossroad keep is on nwn2. Kingmaker's capital also works like a hub to make decisions and is amazing to see your city/keep/wathever progressing with you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom