Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Control - supernatural third person action-adventure from Remedy

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It has really cool mechanics and gameplay, but bogged down by some stupid decision like only able to switch between 2 types of weapons and really lame "upgrades".

But imo, this is still remedy's strongest gameplay. At least combat wise i'd put it above max payne.

mastroego

Arcane
So.... esseJ was a bitch.
But fun, I admit.

This time my Barrier-intensive build paid off.
I kept slamming into her (yeah I know how it sounds) right into the third stage.
From there, it was rather less under control, but I did manage in like 4 or 5 tries. For a boss in this game it's nothing

mastroego

Arcane
I really wish I could go back in time and go witness what was happening during "development" of this game.

I'm home sick today and decided to stubbornly go on UNTIL I managed to finally beat the Mold boss. Even if by luck or sheer pattern learning.

It CANNOT be done.
I surely have done more than 100 tries, and I'm telling you, it CANNOT be done.
I have to stop, my hands and fingers ache, my eyes burn, and I will surely dream of this monster tonight.
Fuck this absolute shit.

I've been playing video games practically all my life and I've never seen anything this insane.
You have to try it to understand, it cannot be explained.
And remember, it's a game with no difficulty slider.
They released this thing LIKE THIS.
How can they still be in business?

Israfael

Arcane
Just observe what it does and you'll get it quickly (hint - watch where the mist is when it's low on HP). Also, get the rocket launcher weapon if you still don't have it.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
When you project yourself onto a female protagonist like this, your penis will start to shrink in order to adapt to your "spectral vagina".

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't remember the Mold boss all that well. I know it seemed impossible at first but it didn't take me nearly as many tries as some of the other bosses. I think there's a way to sort of cheese it.

mastroego

Arcane
I watched an youtube video.
Basically you can cheese it by standing on the front ledge and using barrier.
I did try barrier before but the monster still hit me from beyond it.
But not if you're on that ledge apparently.

So I tried it, and I did it on the first try.
Mind you, I still got KILLED at the same time the monster died.
Yes, it STILL beat me.

Anyway.
Basically it's doable via cheese and betraying everything the game has been about until that point, because you're supposed to always been on the move.
Good job, developers.
Real nice "balancing" you did there.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Mold was a cakewalk. Second Tommasi fight was easily the toughest. I don't think I took him down until I got the easter egg pistol mod from the furnace.

The final AWE boss was also a bitch. Both expansions are a mixed bag.

mastroego

Arcane
sort of pushed through the final stages.
It got to a point where I couldn't take it anymore.
The fact is, once I realized the last platforms involved just waves upon waves of monsters, and then more of them, and then more of them...
I activated godmode just to get to the end.

Even then it was a slog to push through all the mobs, all the explosions, all the screenfulls of uncomprehensible mess constantly happening from all directions at the same time and so.
Still died to landing on the "wrong" platforms more than once, despite the Godmode.
Not that there's a way to know why a specific platform in the Astral plane should kill you while the other one is the intended path, mind you.
I think I could I have made it because it was basically just more of the same, I just didn't have it in me anymore and that's it.

[I am old]/[it's a badly designed game]... feel free to pick :)

Oh, the plot was even more of a mess. Lots more. At some point it was just NOISE. NOISE. Completely unintelligible noise. I mean that more or less literally.
Apparently there's more content after the end, I'll probably skip it.
Too bad, I sort of liked the protagonist and I hate leaving things unfinished.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Sounds like skill issue.
Have to agree. I'm no gaming god but didn't have much trouble finishing it on hard.

I think the boss I died to most was the very first one in the post room because I hadn't "worked the game out" yet. Also you lack most of the superpowers and good weapons at that stage.

mastroego

Arcane
There's is no "hard" though, to my knowledge.
That was one of my grievances, no difficulty slider, just a godmode option if you really can't beat some point.

As I said I'm sure I could've beaten the last platforms sequence, too, but it would've required some more tries, and having to deal multiple times with hordes of the most annoying monsters, and redoing all the platforming at every death.
No thanks, I couldn't take it anymore.
Just as I couldn't take it any more of those Lost videos, those redacted documents, those neverending cutscenes, and so on.

Everything just rubbed me the wrong way in this game.
I guess I continued because what does work is after all a crucial part of every shooter: the weapons and the powers are cool and fun.

Israfael

Arcane
Probably he used not so optimal upgrades and weapons (rocket launcher with 2x missile speed 1x missile damage / aoe size upgrades simply deletes everything and can kill bosses rather quickly as well), or maybe didn't utilize some powers (for example, mind controlled the fat tornado guy can solo most encounters in the end (when you ascend the spiral), possessing the life sphere basically makes you immortal). Overall Control is fairly easy after you get the knack of how to use abilities to their fullest, I've gone through the base game recently (after I bought a shiny new GPU) and it was very easy with all bosses except Tommasi Pt II, I even thought they expanded skill tree or made the game easier or w/e. Also, side-missions are very helpful as they give lots of money and stat points so you can get almost fully buffed up to late mid-game

mastroego

Arcane
Fair enough, hard is the default I use so I assumed that's what I set it at.

Were you playing with a controller or something?
No I WASD and all.

Probably he used not so optimal upgrades and weapons (rocket launcher with 2x missile speed 1x missile damage / aoe size upgrades simply deletes everything and can kill bosses rather quickly as well), or maybe didn't utilize some powers (for example, mind controlled the fat tornado guy can solo most encounters in the end (when you ascend the spiral), possessing the life sphere basically makes you immortal). Overall Control is fairly easy after you get the knack of how to use abilities to their fullest, I've gone through the base game recently (after I bought a shiny new GPU) and it was very easy with all bosses except Tommasi Pt II, I even thought they expanded skill tree or made the game easier or w/e. Also, side-missions are very helpful as they give lots of money and stat points so you can get almost fully buffed up to late mid-game

I don't deny not being a pro at the game, then again, not everyone is and not everyone will want to go through the game twice or thrice to become one nor to scour the net for beforehand knowledge of the best builds.
That's why there's usually a difficulty slider, but not here.
And again, there were lots of other annoying things besides the uneven difficulty.
It might be that I'll revisit it, but at the moment I'm pretty burned out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom