Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Confederate Express - what is this I don't even

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Btw. Aren't you a lawyer? To quote Mackie Messer: "What is a bank robbery versus starting a bank?"
:)

Obviously I take a different view of lawyers!

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I don't draw a strict distinction between the two -- I think being angry without feeling sorrow for the things that make you angry can lead to intemperance, just as feeling sorrow without anger can lead to impotence. Both seem important emotions. I was being a bit facetious in saying I was wallowing in sorrow. :)

Darkzone

Arcane
I don't draw a strict distinction between the two -- I think being angry without feeling sorrow for the things that make you angry can lead to intemperance, just as feeling sorrow without anger can lead to impotence. Both seem important emotions. I was being a bit facetious in saying I was wallowing in sorrow. :)
Now if we take look at your previous posts... hm.. Anger can only lead to intemperance, if the anger is unjustified. ( "Megamind - Metroman's dispute" kind of talk ) At least it made you smile (judging from the smiles in your post). Now look from the balcony of your house at the pacific with your face in the afternoon sun and say "America, fuck yeah!".
And always remember: Only Russians and Finns are allowed to be depressed and melancholic and wallow around in their unhappiness, because they have their valid reasons to. So unless you ain't drinking yourself to death or making death metal, then do not appropriate other cultures.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
No balcony or view of the Pacific; my face bathes in the dull blue light of the Codex and I think, "Mark, fuck why?"

Anyway, in anger, sorrow, and friendship, I'm off to other work!

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
But I disagree that the harm they did can be measured in an individual's lost $10 or even the aggregate $60k or whatever it was they stole. They also stole people's hopes and excitement for the game and faith in small developers seeking modest crowdfunding. The enthusiastic generosity of the gaming community, and its instinctive support of the little guy, is a beautiful thing (I don't want to pretend there isn't also a pettiness and vindictiveness in parts of the same community, of course), and scammers like these diminish and, over time, destroy it. It's like (to use an analogy I over-employ) when post-fall Romans would strip marble off monuments to cook into quicklime for making their hovels, or when someone breaks into a home to steal the silverware. It is a massively negative sum transaction. The value the taker gets is not that great, and in the process, he is destroying something irreplaceable (in the first instance, a monument; in the second, a sense of security in one's home or perhaps a sentimental love of a family heirloom). So too here. These guys got a few tens of thousands of dollars; hopeful supporters lost a few tens of thousands of dollars. So far, zero sum. But those investors also lost many intangible things, and there were other follow-on losses (other developers who couldn't raise money as easily, other games that didn't get made as a result, other gamers who didn't get to play those games as a result, etc.).

I don't mean to sound naive. Every place money or property changes hands, there will be grifters and thieves, and Kickstarter probably made it particularly easy. Maybe people should've known what was coming. But still; shame on the grifters and thieves.

This reminds me of something that happened to me a long time ago.

When I was in Kindergarten there was a girl called Clara.

My uncle bill had made me this priceless gift: a red matchbox car, which for many weeks had become my greatest treasure. Until Clara asked me if she could have it, I said no. She took it anyway and then lost it in the sandbox. On that night my father had to force Neurexan tablets into my throat cause I could not stop screaming. Later, I slowly learned to cope with the loss but as an adult realized that it took my hopes and aspirations, and destroyed something irreplaceable in me.

So this is for you Clara. It ain't over. I will hunt you and kill you bitch. I will get a red car like the one you took and smash your head in with it, until there is only a bloody pulp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom