Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Concerning FO3 VATS

AvengerDr

Novice
According to the previews in Fallout 3 you can either play in RT or enter this so-called VATS mode and take called shots. But I think we are missing some key piece of information.

Because if in RT my aim doesn't depend on my "Small Guns" skills for example but only on my mouse/pad ability, then why enter VATS mode at all? Let me explain, let's say that I have my mouse cursor on a supermutant's head. If I shoot, provided that the game's collision algorithm works, I'll hit the mutant on the head. If I enter VATS mode it's entirely possible that I'll have less chances to hit him, because it will no longer depend on my skills, but my character's.

So why enter VATS mode if I'll have less chances to hit him?

Kraszu

Prophet
We don't know if you could miss in fps also, that hole system sound pretty bad through, maybe it would make more sense if you got some chance of doing extra dmg (critical) based on stats but you always hit? Dunno.

I wonder what happen to your cursor after you go from VATS you could just make game pause look where mutant is place your cursor on hit and close pause tribe and shoot, pretty lame if you could do that.

I don't really see haw that system can be good now.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
I recall reading somewhere that VATS would merely be a method to queue up shots, nothing more. That is, hit rates, criticals, etc. are the same in both modes.

NiM82

Prophet
I wonder how it will deal with burst fire.

In FO you couldn't do targeted bursts, does this mean you wont be able to enter VAT'S when using a minigun? Also what about spread, with rapid fire weapons it was not uncommon to twat a whole group - if rapid fire is possible in VATS, can you miss and still hit something/someone?

Seems like an utterly retarded system to me :P

Lumpy

Arcane
The point where the bullet goes should be a random point around the point where you aim. The maximum radius should depend on your skill.
The higher the skill, the lower the radius. At maximum skill level, there should be no randomness, except on critical misses.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
I recall reading somewhere that VATS would merely be a method to queue up shots, nothing more. That is, hit rates, criticals, etc. are the same in both modes

I could understand there being a to hit roll on ranged shots, but then that begs the immediate question of how it is going to work with melee.

AvengerDr

Novice
Lumpy said:
The point where the bullet goes should be a random point around the point where you aim. The maximum radius should depend on your skill.
The higher the skill, the lower the radius. At maximum skill level, there should be no randomness, except on critical misses.

Is that your opinion or did you read some preview that stated how it works? Because in ... "Oblivion" :lol: when you fire an arrow, the spot where it lands is where you are aiming (unless you didn't apply enough power). From my experience the Marksman skill seems to only influence how fast you can shoot an arrow and how much damage you do. I mean it would be ridiculous if the skill value only matters in the VATS mode and when in RT it's up to your mouse ability.

Excrément

Arbiter
AvengerDr said:
Lumpy said:

Is that your opinion or did you read some preview that stated how it works? Because in ... "Oblivion" :lol: when you fire an arrow, the spot where it lands is where you are aiming (unless you didn't apply enough power). From my experience the Marksman skill seems to only influence how fast you can shoot an arrow and how much damage you do. I mean it would be ridiculous if the skill value only matters in the VATS mode and when in RT it's up to your mouse ability.

you can have a trembling hand, the more you are skilled, the less you tremble...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AvengerDr said:
Lumpy said:

It also affected how straight your arrow flew. Low skill, arrow flies in a high bow, high skill, arrow flies almost straight.

It's completely retarted, but it worked well enough for Bethesda standards.

AvengerDr

Novice
Yeah I had completely forgot about how they did it in Deus Ex. Each skill advance narrowed the shooting "cone" so to speak thereby increasing your precision. I still wonder how so simple a detail has been overlooked by all those who attended the demo.

Lumpy

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
AvengerDr said:
Lumpy said:

It also affected how straight your arrow flew. Low skill, arrow flies in a high bow, high skill, arrow flies almost straight.

It's completely retarted, but it worked well enough for Bethesda standards.
No, it's not. It's supposed to represent that, as you get more skill, the arrows are launched faster, thus the straighter bow.

Mayday

Augur
The straightness of the bow is not affected by your skill but your strength,

Lumpy said:
No, it's not. It's supposed to represent that, as you get more skill, the arrows are launched faster, thus the straighter bow.

Well considering factors like draw-weight, fletchings, and the person's strength would make a lot more sense....yeah...it really doesn't make all that much sense at all. Even if I practiced day-in and day-out, I still don't think I would get some 10 pound draw-weight recurve to shoot arrows with a much higher velocity assuming ceteris paribus.

Joe Krow

Erudite
From what i've read, VATS will allow you to create a list of attacks while paused and then play those actions out for you in some kind of sped up real-time as you unpause. They will just be standard attacks and as far as I know this is the only thing your action points can be used for... you cannot move, access your inventory, etc. using VATS (correct me if i'm wrong). This brief precurser to the actual battle is "turn-based" and ensures that Fallout 3 is "not rewarding twitch play" (it is an rpg after all). Once your bonus attacks are used up you will enjoy the real time nex-gen Fallout shoot 'em up that the original designers would have implemented if only they had, like, cool technology and stuff. Enjoy!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom